Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #57
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
I was in a similar spot recently. Even though my v6 was modded to the brim, it had been burning about a quart every several months since the day I got it stock. I would do an ok job at monitoring it and filling it back up in between oil changes. Then I was an idiot and didn't check oil levels for a couple months and boom... engine light comes on because I am 4 quarts low on oil. So ya, despite the engine burning oil like a chimney, it was my fault for not checking oil every time I filled up. After weighing my options between arguing with GM, getting a rebuild, and swapping engines, I decided to pay 4k total (parts and labor) for a junkyard motor with 40k miles on it and no warranty. The car drives great, and I am currently in a position where I don't know if I should sell it and take the huge loss before anything else breaks, or just keep driving it since I have dumped so much money into it. I am leaning towards the latter since as a college student I am pretty much broke after paying for the swap, so I might as well have a cool car to drive I guess. If I sold my camaro and wanted to break even after getting another car and paying tag/title fees, etc., I would probably have to buy something under 15k, so whats the point.
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #58
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrasras View Post
I was in a similar spot recently. Even though my v6 was modded to the brim, it had been burning about a quart every several months since the day I got it stock. I would do an ok job at monitoring it and filling it back up in between oil changes. Then I was an idiot and didn't check oil levels for a couple months and boom... engine light comes on because I am 4 quarts low on oil. So ya, despite the engine burning oil like a chimney, it was my fault for not checking oil every time I filled up. After weighing my options between arguing with GM, getting a rebuild, and swapping engines, I decided to pay 4k total (parts and labor) for a junkyard motor with 40k miles on it and no warranty. The car drives great, and I am currently in a position where I don't know if I should sell it and take the huge loss before anything else breaks, or just keep driving it since I have dumped so much money into it. I am leaning towards the latter since as a college student I am pretty much broke after paying for the swap, so I might as well have a cool car to drive I guess. If I sold my camaro and wanted to break even after getting another car and paying tag/title fees, etc., I would probably have to buy something under 15k, so whats the point.
I'm in the same position, Although my new motor was covered by GM with a warranty, I still feel like I should get rid of it before something else happens
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #59
blancaesq12

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
If you are very attached to the car it is worth a shot to see what maybe can be worked out between Chevy and the dealer. Being Service Techs you probably could get great advice from your dad and brother.
Wife hates any down time on her vehicle for routine maintenance and I did recommend a fully electric for her next vehicle.
Ron
I made the decision to let the car go. I will pay off the car and then use the money from a hail damage claim but put some money down on a new vehicle.

The Service Department said that GM might help 50/50 since I am out of warranty by time not mileage but I don't want to lose any more money. I am not excited about starting a new term but I need a car. I have learned my lesson and I will check my oil. I don't think I like electric cars but thanks for the advice.

Plus my brother is buying the Camaro from me and is going to either repair or replace the engine depending on how bad it is. Again, I am not a mechanic. But I will certainly miss my Bumblebee!
blancaesq12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #60
blancaesq12

Quote:
The car drives great, and I am currently in a position where I don't know if I should sell it and take the huge loss before anything else breaks, or just keep driving it since I have dumped so much money into it. I am leaning towards the latter since as a college student I am pretty much broke after paying for the swap, so I might as well have a cool car to drive I guess. If I sold my camaro and wanted to break even after getting another car and paying tag/title fees, etc., I would probably have to buy something under 15k, so whats the point.
I am not a mechanic but if you already invested money on it and you are a college student, I think that you will be happier with your cool car. Just keep a close eye on it.

I will miss my cool car. I need to go car shopping but I already feel like no car could take my Bumblebee's place. I am not willing to get a car under 15K. I mean how can I downgrade from a Camaro to a freaking Ford Fiesta or something. Hell no!

Best of luck!
blancaesq12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #61
Elite Engineering

The LLT and LFX engines are truly great engines in design, it is only the direct injection intake valve coking and other related problems that casue most of these failures. If you install the proper Elite system (E2 or E2-X with cleanside) and do the PCV barb drill mod, you can avoid most all of this and have a long life.

Other things to understand:

Break in is critical. You MUST seat the rings properly in the first few hundred miles or the rings will never seat properly. This involves following these instructions when new (ignore the owners manual)

Then, ALWAYS check oil level every fuel fill up. The V6 has not low level "idiot light" to warn you.

ONLY run a good full synthetic oil. M1 is my least desired pick. Amsoil or similar is the best, but Quaker State, Pennzoil, Valvoline all have great low price full synthetics. The cheap DEXOS syn blend contributes to the worn timing chains, etc. These engine rev higher and have more moving parts than the V8 push rod engines, and they need that extra protection.

If you have a LLT or LFX engine that uses oil, there is a chance that after installing the proper Elite system it will slow or cease, but that is only if the reason it consumes oil is from the rings and ring lands becoming "gunked" up with varnish and deposits from the lack of cooling and cleaning fuel spray port injection engines of old have.

Once you stop the introduction of the oil and other compounds that cause the coking and deposits, there is a chance that the rings will free back up and be able to properly seal again. Assuming the rings were seated properly to begin with.

Ask any other questions. The new 2016 Camaro has ALL GDI engines now, so you will still face the same issues if not addressed by you the owner. GDI is here to stay, and even though there have been improvements to reduce these issues, they are still severe and can only be prevented by the owner taking the proper steps.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #62
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blancaesq12 View Post
I am not a mechanic but if you already invested money on it and you are a college student, I think that you will be happier with your cool car. Just keep a close eye on it.

I will miss my cool car. I need to go car shopping but I already feel like no car could take my Bumblebee's place. I am not willing to get a car under 15K. I mean how can I downgrade from a Camaro to a freaking Ford Fiesta or something. Hell no!

Best of luck!
I4 6th gen with all the bells and whistles sounds like it would be fun tbh. I really want to test drive one just to see how the turbo feels. All the new creature features on the new 6th gen make it really nice. The ventilated seats AND steering wheel?! Also, I really like the new mylink unit. The new nav is nice.
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:36 PM   #63
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Guys get over the "check your oil every fill up" bs
That is barbaric, we are in the 21st century, apart from fanboys and car enthusiasts, no one is going to check their oil levels every fill up, you shouldnt have to.

And I can guarentee that 90% of the customers who buy these Camaros and are not on forums dont either. The LLT is a flawwed motor that GM will not assume responsibility for.

I have an amazing condition Camaro with a blown engine sitting in my garage with fresh oil in it
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:37 PM   #64
TJ91

Sorry this happened to you
GM gave me the finger and wont assist me in any way even after I just spent 2k on getting the chains replaced
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 06-04-2016, 07:21 AM   #65
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Wife had a Buick that was out of warranty and the intake manifold failed. Burn through at internal EGR line, causing internal coolant leak. GM fully covered the repair the first time this happened. Then again near 110,000 miles all covered except for $50. They did the work out of "Customer Goodwill". The third time I just replaced it myself with a better aftermarket assembly. If you are very attached to the car it is worth a shot to see what maybe can be worked out between Chevy and the dealer. Being Service Techs you probably could get great advice from your dad and brother.
Wife hates any down time on her vehicle for routine maintenance and I did recommend a fully electric for her next vehicle.
Ron
I did my plastic upper intake on my 96 Bonneville twice. GM would not cover it!
Second time made up a reduced Dia EGR pipe so it does not touch the plastic intake.
Put on metal lower intake gasket also.
Stellar 3800 engine and a cheap plastic intake IMO.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:49 PM   #66
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Sorry to hear this OP. :(

Seriously, I think your dealership sucks. They should have contacted the GM goodwill people and at least given you a firm decision... instead of "might do this or that" bs.

Hard to have the faith to dump more $$ into it, just to set yourself up for another failure so I understand your decision.

I drove a 2014 Genisis Turbo before I bought the Camaro. Might have gone with it but it was a bit small for me... But I will say it kicked ass. Literally put me in the back seat when I got on it.

Anyway, find a well maintained late model used vehicle and you will be miles ahead on equity. Let someone else pay the depreciation.

Good luck whatever you end up doing.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #67
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
So I was pretty stuck on just eating my losses with the engine and just gonna enjoy the car for what it is, but I since my last post on this thread a couple days back, I got into a little accident on the highway that took my drivers door and front bumper. Gonna pay at least a $500 deductible and will lose the LED Halos and Fog lights I paid decent $$$ for (at least I was able to sell my ZL1 grille a couple months ago). I am driving a Kia Optima rental at the moment, and believe it or not, I actually like it lol. Good AC, decent power for all the luxary and comfort, no worries about engine probs, etc. I might just revert the Camaro back to stock form except for the air suspension (too much work to take off) and sell it for something low like 16k (has 50k miles on it). It might be time to get a later-gen car without all the issues a 2010 camaro would have
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #68
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
So I was pretty stuck on just eating my losses with the engine and just gonna enjoy the car for what it is, but I since my last post on this thread a couple days back, I got into a little accident on the highway that took my drivers door and front bumper. Gonna pay at least a $500 deductible and will lose the LED Halos and Fog lights I paid decent $$$ for (at least I was able to sell my ZL1 grille a couple months ago). I am driving a Kia Optima rental at the moment, and believe it or not, I actually like it lol. Good AC, decent power for all the luxary and comfort, no worries about engine probs, etc. I might just revert the Camaro back to stock form except for the air suspension (too much work to take off) and sell it for something low like 16k (has 50k miles on it). It might be time to get a later-gen car without all the issues a 2010 camaro would have
I hear you bro. Sometimes best to cut your losses and move on... That being said, I do really enjoy my Camaro. Crossing my fingers on the reliability however...
Old 06-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #69
TJ91

I bought a 2016 GT premium ....
Old 06-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #70
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
I bought a 2016 GT premium ....
Ew
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blown engine, oil consumption, warranty problem engine