Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-24-2022, 09:41 PM   #1
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Exhaust sound with Magnuson 2650?

I'm getting my Magnuson 2605 kit installed next week. I realize of course that the car will acquire the "supercharge whine". But, since the engine is processing a lot more air through it with the supercharger when a lot of throttle is applied, does the exhaust sound also get amplified appreciably?

I'm asking because the exhaust with the Dual Mode Performance Exhaust already seems pretty "enthusiastic". Does it actually get notably more so?

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:53 PM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
I'm getting my Magnuson 2605 kit installed next week. I realize of course that the car will acquire the "supercharge whine". But, since the engine is processing a lot more air through it with the supercharger when a lot of throttle is applied, does the exhaust sound also get amplified appreciably?

I'm asking because the exhaust with the Dual Mode Performance Exhaust already seems pretty "enthusiastic". Does it actually get notably more so?

Jim G
Well Jim, I hate to break it to you, but unless you pulley way down, you probably won't hear much blower whine. As far as how much louder on the dual mode exhaust, it will probably make a little more noise.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 11:59 PM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
1LEornothing has a point, unless you spin these bad boys, you won't hear much whine. The stock LT4 supercharger on the ZL1 is already cranked near its max, that's where the whine is coming from, and you're adding a much larger displacement supercharger, which will run at a relatively low rpm (and low boost) with the default Magnuson pulley.

Now if you decide to pulley down, make sure your fuel system can handle the boost. What other components, specifically fuel system upgrades are you adding apart from the 2650? Will this thing be custom tuned or will you just used Magnuson's default calibration?

If the answer is "none", you'll have to stay at around 5 psi of boost and 550-560 rwhp, the canned Magnuson tune will keep you on the safe side and that large 2.65 liter blower won't even break a sweat or run anywhere near its highest efficiency, you'll probably only hear some slightly amplified V8 symphony. (Nothing wrong with that, by the way, I love the purity and that Hellcat style whine always reminds me of faulty ball bearings, but that's just me )

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:48 AM   #4
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
The 2650 is a sneak up on you blower. Pretty quiet but can be as nasty as you want or your wallet can afford. My original 2300 on my 16 SS whined more the my 2650. My current build with 2300 and C7 Corvette lid whines way more the the 2650 or 2300 with the Heartbeat double humped lid. Even when I was running 16 lbs of boost on my 2650 it still was very docile.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:08 AM   #5
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Wow! This IS interesting. I have read here on the forum about the need to spend another couple thousand dollars on fuel system improvements in order to crank up the boost. And I aware of the inherent risk in running the LT1 non-forged pistons at higher boosts. And I have considered the potential not-covered-by-GM warranty incident costs on my 27 day old car. So, I decided at a very early stage of this Camaro project that I would stay at the moderate Magnuson tune, since 550 rwhp is more power than I have ever driven before, and at age 71 my Testosterone levels have moderated! And Steve at Davenport Motorsports advised running the standard Magnuson tune as well given the brand new warranty status of the car, and Magnuson's own warranty coverage being dependent upon running the standard tune.

But the lack of whine is a revelation to me. I have done 2 previous supercharger projects. One was a 2004 Chevy SSR retro pickup hardtop convertible (on which I wrote a book that has become the bible for SSR owners). The other project was a 2008 Mustang GT to which I added a Roush supercharger kit and full suspension kit.

Both of those vehicles ran the very moderate standard provided tune and both were used as daily commuting drivers for at least a couple of years until I sold them, with never even a hint of any engine issue. (The SSR though, with its 4800+ lb weight wore out the stupidly fragile GM 4L60E transmission, and then even a Phoenix-built 4L60E, requiring Phoenix to build an even stronger version. And GM's bad decision to use the unwisely lowered Trailblazer's chassis caused the U-joint at the tranny end to wear out in just a few thousand miles until I got a carbon fiber driveshaft installed.) Neither vehicle had non-OEM pistons. In fact, the SSR's OEM engine for 2003 and 2004 was the unimpressive 300 hp LM4 TRUCK engine used in GM pickups at the time. No engine issues despite that low pedigree.

Both of those vehicles had a notable supercharger whine, and a very moderately louder exhaust volume.

But, in at least the case of the SSR, I plugged the engine and supercharger details into a worksheet I developed that showed that the blower model that was used in the Magnuson kit was actually too small to take full advantage of the 5.3 liter displacement. So, yes, it was probably operating at a significantly higher rpm than the 2650.

It "sounds" like my wife will be somewhat disappointed by the lack of supercharger whine. She was looking forward to it! But she loves the exhaust volume and its "uncivilized" nature! And she loves the lipstick red leather seat upholstery we had the dealership install, since the OEM charcoal and gray seemed a little bland to both of us.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:42 AM   #6
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
Wow! This IS interesting. I have read here on the forum about the need to spend another couple thousand dollars on fuel system improvements in order to crank up the boost. And I aware of the inherent risk in running the LT1 non-forged pistons at higher boosts. And I have considered the potential not-covered-by-GM warranty incident costs on my 27 day old car. So, I decided at a very early stage of this Camaro project that I would stay at the moderate Magnuson tune, since 550 rwhp is more power than I have ever driven before, and at age 71 my Testosterone levels have moderated! And Steve at Davenport Motorsports advised running the standard Magnuson tune as well given the brand new warranty status of the car, and Magnuson's own warranty coverage being dependent upon running the standard tune.

But the lack of whine is a revelation to me. I have done 2 previous supercharger projects. One was a 2004 Chevy SSR retro pickup hardtop convertible (on which I wrote a book that has become the bible for SSR owners). The other project was a 2008 Mustang GT to which I added a Roush supercharger kit and full suspension kit.

Both of those vehicles ran the very moderate standard provided tune and both were used as daily commuting drivers for at least a couple of years until I sold them, with never even a hint of any engine issue. (The SSR though, with its 4800+ lb weight wore out the stupidly fragile GM 4L60E transmission, and then even a Phoenix-built 4L60E, requiring Phoenix to build an even stronger version. And GM's bad decision to use the unwisely lowered Trailblazer's chassis caused the U-joint at the tranny end to wear out in just a few thousand miles until I got a carbon fiber driveshaft installed.) Neither vehicle had non-OEM pistons. In fact, the SSR's OEM engine for 2003 and 2004 was the unimpressive 300 hp LM4 TRUCK engine used in GM pickups at the time. No engine issues despite that low pedigree.

Both of those vehicles had a notable supercharger whine, and a very moderately louder exhaust volume.

But, in at least the case of the SSR, I plugged the engine and supercharger details into a worksheet I developed that showed that the blower model that was used in the Magnuson kit was actually too small to take full advantage of the 5.3 liter displacement. So, yes, it was probably operating at a significantly higher rpm than the 2650.

It "sounds" like my wife will be somewhat disappointed by the lack of supercharger whine. She was looking forward to it! But she loves the exhaust volume and its "uncivilized" nature! And she loves the lipstick red leather seat upholstery we had the dealership install, since the OEM charcoal and gray seemed a little bland to both of us.

Jim G
The smaller blowers like you used in your SSR and mustang have a much more audible whine at the lower boost levels. The stock small Eaton blower on my old terminator cobra was like that. Good luck with the 2650, it was my first choice but sadly, way out of my budget. Had to settle for the centrifugal blower and blow off valve noise instead.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote