Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-22-2022, 10:51 AM   #15
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Thanks for the feedback, Zach. So just trying to learn here- what is the difference between the factory substrate and a GESI Gen 2 substrate? Why will a GESI Gen 2 have a sustained life and not blow out, whereas a factory cat would, if they are both in the same position, which to your point is further downstream (cooler) from the factory location?

I assume blowing them out is less related to the amount of heat input here and more to the amount of flow restriction? I would think a cooler cat would be less likely to blow out? No?

The heat input is mostly for function/efficiency, yes? I assume any aftermarket cat is less effective than factory because it is farther downstream? Would a GESI Gen2 be any more or less effective at its job than the factory cat if they are both installed in the typical aftermarket location (after a set of long tubes)?

Thanks for the honest feedback!

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 01:55 PM   #16
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
I unfortunately am not a catalytic converter expert. If you are going to use a catalytic converter on a modified ZL1 making any sort of power, I would be paying top dollar (GESI 85500 or GESI 85600) to have a huge factor of safety on horsepower ratings. It is worth the initial investment to product your engine now rather than buy an engine later.

A factory C7 ZR1 will blow out OEM cats on track with an OEM tune to put it into perspective.
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:44 PM   #17
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
I unfortunately am not a catalytic converter expert. If you are going to use a catalytic converter on a modified ZL1 making any sort of power, I would be paying top dollar (GESI 85500 or GESI 85600) to have a huge factor of safety on horsepower ratings. It is worth the initial investment to product your engine now rather than buy an engine later.

A factory C7 ZR1 will blow out OEM cats on track with an OEM tune to put it into perspective.
Good info on C7 ZR1 cats failing on track. It looks like, for my purposes, GESI gen2 is the only viable option
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:55 PM   #18
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
For my use, I should be good with the regular gen 2's. That would give me about a 1.7 safety factor over the highest hp I'd ever build up to.

Which is also why I thought the stock ones might be fine for my use. It's a daily driver with the occasional WOT burst and maybe once a year at the drag strip these days. I'm not running it on a road course, so it would see minimal full throttle use.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote