Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 09-06-2022, 08:40 AM   #1
1LE4free

Drives: 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Squeaky/chirping rear when gear engaged cruising

Driving to the airport this morning when I noticed a new sound coming from the rear of my vehicle. It is a very faint, persistent, high frequency squeaking noise that sounds like it’s caused from some type of rotation of something in the rear. Car has 3k miles and changed at 2k with proper diff fluid. Conditions for squeak noise:

60+ mph cruising
Car in gear
Only on accel and decel (while a gear is engaged cruising) but when the car transfers between accel and decel (like going down and hill and lifting off gas), it ceases until decel engages
Taking car out of gear and leaving in neutral stops sound as well
Doesn’t start immediately at 60 mph, it takes a few minutes of cruising to start making any noise

The sound is high frequency as if it’s squeaking while something rotates in the rear. It’s so faint that I obviously don’t hear it with music on. Not sure if anyone has experience with the sound.
1LE4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:08 AM   #2
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Sounds like it’s your diff although in my experience it typically either makes sound when cruising OR deceleration, not both.
m6-lt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:39 PM   #3
DaggerMouth

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I had a similar issue and had it fixed by the dealer under warranty. Mine was a high-pitched ringing sounds at low speeds and left turns. It was louder when wet and in the colder months.

The dealer originally inspected the diff and flushed the fluid. This seemed to fix the issue for the first 1500 miles. Upon second inspection they replaced the seals on the driver side. Sound went away for about 5k miles before returning louder than before. They replaced all the seals on the 3rd pass and the sound hasn't returned for over 30k miles now.

When I'd lift the car in the air and rotate the rear wheels, you could hear the squeak coming from where the axle/differential mate.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:46 PM   #4
DaggerMouth

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
https://youtube.com/shorts/Se4sal4SX34?feature=share
Old 09-08-2022, 06:17 PM   #5
1LE4free

Drives: 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Thanks for the response folks!! I get home tomorrow and will drive from the airport and see if that persists. I bought it from an Ohio dealer but imagine anything, since I have 3k miles on it and extended coverage, would be covered under warranty even if I went to another Chevy dealer. Will likely try a Rick Hendrick dealer since I’m in charlotte
1LE4free is offline   Reply With Quote