Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-11-2022, 11:50 AM   #1
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
How-To: Install Genuine GM Footwell Lighting Kit

I finally got around to installing the genuine footwell lighting kit from GM. I picked the kit up off of eBay as it seems out of stock at most GM part suppliers. I did see the kit pop up available on Amazon at the time of this post for anyone looking: https://amzn.to/3uzV8qs

I tried to make the video fairly detailed and in depth. An "easy" install that is made difficult because of the location and how hard it is to access a lot of the stuff especially in the passenger footwell, lol. The primary trouble area is removing the rear 2 bolts of the 4 bolts needed to be removed to drop the tray piece under the glove box.

The footwell lighting with this kit sync's with your spectrum light settings and looks pretty good. It's not super bright but adds a little extra accent to your car. GM really should be including footwell lighting standard with all cars with spectrum lighting, IMO. Even my wife's 2019 Ecoboost Mustang has footwell lighting that syncs with her interior light selected colors without being some extra option.

Video:

The post here on Camaro6 by EarthToGreg, https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501526, was helpful as was his video linked in his post

Here is the gen5diy pdf for anyone who may need it as well (found this after I installed everything as it went missing from the gen5diy website, lol): https://www.camaro6.com/forums/attac...0&d=1623542539
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 08:13 PM   #2
Vivid_O_1LE

Drives: Chevy Camaro, Dodge Charger
Awesome video. Once again the internet makes me want something i didn't know existed. And you are right, this definitely should've been there from the factory on the ZL1 and 2SS models.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:36 PM   #3
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid_O_1LE View Post
Awesome video. Once again the internet makes me want something i didn't know existed. And you are right, this definitely should've been there from the factory on the ZL1 and 2SS models.
Thank you! And yes.. I mean, it would of cost GM $20 to include this from the factory? Lol. My wife's ecoboost premium Mustang has footwell lighting AND interior door handle lighting all sync'd with her dash and everything and GM can't even throw in footwell lighting on their $50k+ cars... that's kind of lazy/cheap/sad.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:58 AM   #4
Drew145022

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Vert
I’ve wanted this for a while but I just can’t justify the price. I wired in a simple light tied to the door to get some light. Doesn’t change color or anything but gets the job done. Cost like 15$ with AutoZone leds and some wire taps
Drew145022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:50 AM   #5
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew145022 View Post
I’ve wanted this for a while but I just can’t justify the price. I wired in a simple light tied to the door to get some light. Doesn’t change color or anything but gets the job done. Cost like 15$ with AutoZone leds and some wire taps
Yeah, GM def wants to get paid for this kit which probably costs them $5 to manufacture, lol.

Tags
footwell, interior, lighting, rgb, spectrum lighting