#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-25-2022, 03:43 PM   #29
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | 18 F150
VIR for Dave's Race 4 - Racing for ALS Charity track days - July 1-2

It was 95-97* both days, fought oil temps all day on Friday and only did the first 2 morning sessions Saturday because it was worse than the previous day. Decided the OEM coolant-cooled oil cooler wasn't cutting it and to install an air-cooled setrab cooler in addition to it before I went back for next time in the heat. Had to learn the track as I'd basically only done about 7 laps there over a year beforehand before springing and oil leak and ending the day. I mainly focused on repeating the proper line thru corners while using the straights tool the car (which is why a lot of video shows me at like 50-75% throttle in the straights, just trying to get air thru the car)

Highlights:
  • Got some side-seat pointers from a fast driver to get familiar with the fast line (see CTS-V1 car pic above - dude runs 2:02.x with that car at about 400whp and 31xx lbs)
  • Had the same driver drive my car with my in the pass seat and had him drive 50% and see how capable the car is - I immediately added pace because of this. (see Day1 Session 4 and beyond for my added pace compared to Session 1)

Lowlights:
  • Car could not do a full lap at speed without a cool down lap directly after (after 1-2 warm-up laps) without seeing 290+ oil temps even with 15w-50 oil
  • I'm slow - Didn't get lap times but they were probably in the 2:19-2:25 range at best (car is probably capable of sub 1:58, maybe better - for reference)
  • I didn't use near as much brakes as I should have, more on that later...

Video playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...CsskaBvVAowYI3
Attached Images

'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:48 PM   #30
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | 18 F150
VIR July 23rd with Hooked On Driving

Can't stay away from VIR as it's so beautiful, fast, and fun. Came back for 1 day of a 3 day event with HOD. First time running with them so I signed up for Group B as you're instructed not to sign up for Advanced Groups (C and D) without driving with them before... This would hurt me later. The setrab cooler did it's thing! In the same 95ish degree heat, I was able to do 3 sessions in a row with zero cool down laps!

Highlights:
  • Never saw higher than 275* oil temp and in most cases it was below 265!
  • Absolutely got faster and was using more of the track, more of the brakes, and more of the throttle everywhere
  • Was the fastest in my group BY FAR - gave exactly 2 point bys; 1 because the car stumbled under throttle and I was concerned (I was low on fuel, whoops) and 1 because I came into turn 1 too hot and had a guy behind me - decided to let him go while I thought thru what went wrong over the next turn or two.
  • Remembered to set start/finish line on PDR so I could record lap times!
  • Car felt largely sorted out for the first time ever... almost (read on)

Lowlights:
  • While I was fastest in the group I was constantly in traffic regardless of when I went out on grid this caused a problem below with getting an actual lap time
  • The DS2500s started to show their lowest coefficient of friction in the later sessions when the heat of the car+weather came together with extra speed to feel unsettling. Basically the amount of pedal I was giving the car didn't seem congruent with the amount of stopping I was getting
  • Later feedback by some friends said I need to move up in pad friction to either a DTC-60 or 70, or a CT XP12 for all for corners to take advantage of my SC3 tires fully and get more congruent feel.
  • Realized while reviewing PDR video that evidently I NEVER got a clean lap without traffic, best was a 2:13.2 when I was following a cayman from the top of the climbing esses to track-out of Oak tree. I assume this cost 3-5 seconds minimum. So I could have had the sub-2:10 I wanted, but didn't get it
  • I'm leaning on PTM too much on occasion, specifically in turn 1 (which is the most difficult for me to figure out, need to watch some pro videos), it's saving me from looping the car. I will need to go slower to put the car in Sport 2 and learn how to rely on myself and not the electronics to add pace. So it'll be 1 step back, hopefully followed by 2 steps forward with regards to that.
  • I'm still slow - left a lot on the table in braking zones and some straights still. Noticed the line an instructor gave thru the climbing esses is more matched to a lower hp car and I'm moving from left to right too late.

Video, no pics - (2:13 is in the middle of the second session) -
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...MAWmGCHNNqsnsc
'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote