Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-07-2021, 06:56 AM   #71
Nitro66215

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert - M6,SIM,CFW,NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcwardog View Post
I took the OP’s work and augmented it with a few more photos and details on getting stuff out. For the wiring and parts we care about, although other wires may have moved or gone away in the 32-pin cluster connector, this retrofit in a 2021 Camaro still seems to follow that of the 2017 Camaro. I confirm also that I get a color HUD display, so the 2019 HUD that I bought as a used part still seems to be fine for the 2021 cars. Hope this helps others!
Nice! At least you got it done. That switch is a little tricky.
2018 2SS Vert - Hot Wheels - Indy 500 #30

2017 ZL1 Vert - M6 , SIM, CFW, NAV

2017 RS 1LT 2.0T Vert - A8, Garnet Red - SOLD :-(
Added - IO6 - NAV, UHS - Enhanced Display, K4C - Wireless Charger, UV6 -
Heads-Up Display - DIY

2011 CTS-V - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(
2013 ZL1 - Black / Black - SOLD. :-(
2010 2SS - Indy 500 Pace Car. - SOLD. :-(
2002 Z28 - Pewter / Black - SOLD. :-(
Nitro66215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:27 AM   #72
djcwardog

Drives: Various!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro66215 View Post
Nice! At least you got it done. That switch is a little tricky.
Are these switches a known issue, even in cars that have HUDs as OEM? My new switch is out for delivery here today. Also, although I made my harness up as a DIY, a plug and play harness is still a great idea for those that may do this later. The two loaded connectors cost over $60 and then you have to do a few detailed bits of solder and crimp to finish. It would be easier to simply unplug the cluster 32-pin and insert a proper harness as offered on the 5th Gen Camaros.
2021 Camaro LT1 MN6 WRS Package. GJ1 (Shadow Gray Met), H1T (Jet Black interior), NPP (Dual Mode Exhaust), Y3W (Tech Pkg), 5JX (20” black satin split-spoke wheels). Upgraded from IOS to IOT Radio. Hooker Blackheart No Crush Kit. Retrofit UHS Cluster and HUD.
djcwardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #73
Nitro66215

Quote:
Are these switches a known issue, even in cars that have HUDs as OEM? My new switch is out for delivery here today. Also, although I made my harness up as a DIY, a plug and play harness is still a great idea for those that may do this later. The two loaded connectors cost over $60 and then you have to do a few detailed bits of solder and crimp to finish. It would be easier to simply unplug the cluster 32-pin and insert a proper harness as offered on the 5th Gen Camaros.
I don't remember or have heard of the switch being an issue. I wired mine as outlined in the OP. Since I don't have the car anymore, I can't take the dash apart and look. I thought about creating a patch cable, but getting the female and male ends of the connectors to make it wasn't easy. I just ended up doing as you did.

Heads-Up Display - DIY

Old 10-14-2021, 07:54 AM   #74
djcwardog

Drives: Various!
Gen5DIY Harness in place

I went ahead and swapped out my own fabbed harness with a plug and play version from the pros in Las Vegas! While they are still working to ensure that their sourced plugs mate precisely with the factory jacks in the LED Dimmer Switch and in the HUD Switch, the function is correct. Being an old-school retrofitter, I was able to use a belt sander and a razor blade to trim the LED plug in their harness a bit to fit. Interesting that the plug fit perfectly into the jack on their harness, but that same plug was too tall for the opening in the LED Dimmer Switch itself.

Having swapped over, I now believe that the fault in my own harness was an incomplete soldering of the two wires running into the ground wire leading into the cluster. Everything worked when I applied a bit of tension to that part of the harness so it was not an error in the wiring diagram itself.

Bottom line - a very nice upgrade when done along with the uplevel cluster. My insurance company says my car is an “LT1/1SS” so might as well get what I wanted from that trim level into my LT1 car!
2021 Camaro LT1 MN6 WRS Package. GJ1 (Shadow Gray Met), H1T (Jet Black interior), NPP (Dual Mode Exhaust), Y3W (Tech Pkg), 5JX (20” black satin split-spoke wheels). Upgraded from IOS to IOT Radio. Hooker Blackheart No Crush Kit. Retrofit UHS Cluster and HUD.
djcwardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:57 AM   #75
Nitro66215

Quote:
I went ahead and swapped out my own fabbed harness with a plug and play version from the pros in Las Vegas! While they are still working to ensure that their sourced plugs mate precisely with the factory jacks in the LED Dimmer Switch and in the HUD Switch, the function is correct. Being an old-school retrofitter, I was able to use a belt sander and a razor blade to trim the LED plug in their harness a bit to fit. Interesting that the plug fit perfectly into the jack on their harness, but that same plug was too tall for the opening in the LED Dimmer Switch itself.

Having swapped over, I now believe that the fault in my own harness was an incomplete soldering of the two wires running into the ground wire leading into the cluster. Everything worked when I applied a bit of tension to that part of the harness so it was not an error in the wiring diagram itself.

Bottom line - a very nice upgrade when done along with the uplevel cluster. My insurance company says my car is an “LT1/1SS” so might as well get what I wanted from that trim level into my LT1 car!
NICE!

Heads-Up Display - DIY

Old 10-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #76
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Impressive! And simultaneously I found the last thing I'd ever want to do.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:46 AM   #77
metal

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible
I'm glad I didn't start installing the Cluster I bought for my 21 LT1 last year when I was still reading the instructions for an 18!
I seem to recall reading HUD isn't available on Convertibles?
My car has the tech package. Is there anything precluding me from doing these upgrades even though the car is a Convertible?
I've already installed Nav, and a PDR in my C7 Z06, a HUD in my C5 Z51, and MyLink in my 2SS 5th Gen, so it seems like this should be a cakewalk, right?
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:17 PM   #78
Nitro66215

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal View Post
I'm glad I didn't start installing the Cluster I bought for my 21 LT1 last year when I was still reading the instructions for an 18!
I seem to recall reading HUD isn't available on Convertibles?
My car has the tech package. Is there anything precluding me from doing these upgrades even though the car is a Convertible?
I've already installed Nav, and a PDR in my C7 Z06, a HUD in my C5 Z51, and MyLink in my 2SS 5th Gen, so it seems like this should be a cakewalk, right?
This was done in a convertible. There wasn't any difference. My 2017 ZL1 and 2018 2SS were convertible and both came with HUD. The biggest part was swapping the windshield. Obviously it was done at the dealer

Heads-Up Display - DIY