Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #15
jb_camaro_2ss

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Arctic Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
1st, you shouldn't be using your engine for braking, that's what pads are for and they are cheap, it's been covered many time by those with automotive knowledge, the car guys, etc.

2nd, are you out of your mind? You need to drive a low-compression turbo engine if you think that this doesn't have a massive amount of engine braking available. Those turbo engines have very low compression due to the turbo providing a significant amount of compression and with that and the small displacement, they just don't slow down. It's not even close.
1st, I don't think anyone is purposely engine braking all the time to avoid applying brakes. I was simply responding to the OP's post. Also, some degree of engine braking is inevitable unless you apply the brakes immediately after each time you let off the throttle, or never go on a spirited drive with repetitive shifting and high revs. I will continue to roll off the throttle to maintain my speed going down a hill instead of riding the brakes, despite what the car guys you speak of say. I will report back when my transmission or engine gives out on me.

2nd, this car doesn't have massive amount of engine braking in comparison to the manual cars I've owned or driven previously, or at least what I expected. There will always be cars out there with more or less of something than my current car. I haven't driven everything out there, but that doesn't change my comparison of what I've driven up to this point.

jb_camaro_2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:30 PM   #16
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
There is nothing wrong with engine braking and will do ZERO HARM to your engine. The reason that engine braking is shunned is because people don't rev match on the downshift and it causes unnecessary wear on the clutch. If you rev match either manually or with ARM, there is no reason at all to avoid engine braking when slowing / stopping.
This. Obviously, don't clutch brake the car since, yes, the clutch is more expensive to replace than brakes, but otherwise there is nothing wrong with engine braking in daily driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_H_ View Post
Ah that makes sense, my bad. One sports (sporty?) car that has really bad rev hang is the WRX. Most people put a different tune on them to remove that as it truly ruins the car in my opinion.

Glad to hear that maybe the Camaro doesn't have any!
WRX counts as sporty but yeah, you can tune the rev hang out on most cars with a tuner.

The Camaro doesn't have it, though I suppose the 1~4 skip shift on the V8 M6 models could be just as annoying for some.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #17
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_camaro_2ss View Post
1st, I don't think anyone is purposely engine braking all the time to avoid applying brakes. I was simply responding to the OP's post. Also, some degree of engine braking is inevitable unless you apply the brakes immediately after each time you let off the throttle, or never go on a spirited drive with repetitive shifting and high revs. I will continue to roll off the throttle to maintain my speed going down a hill instead of riding the brakes, despite what the car guys you speak of say. I will report back when my transmission or engine gives out on me.

2nd, this car doesn't have massive amount of engine braking in comparison to the manual cars I've owned or driven previously, or at least what I expected. There will always be cars out there with more or less of something than my current car. I haven't driven everything out there, but that doesn't change my comparison of what I've driven up to this point.
Wait... This car has brakes?

I feel that there's quite a bit of braking from the engine in this car, but it's offset by weighing close to two full tons with a tank of gas and at least a driver on board. In the end, it's still a push/pull between the engine trying hard to slow down a heavy car.

Like you, I've also owned other manuals that felt like the engine braking "did more", but the car in question was also 1,000 lbs lighter.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #18
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
The Camaro doesn't have it, though I suppose the 1~4 skip shift on the V8 M6 models could be just as annoying for some.
Generally, the 1-4 skip never occurs for me because I get off of the line and go. In heavy traffic where I'm not first in line at the light, not only does the 1-4 skip sometimes occur, but dropping into 4 at very slow speeds is simply untenable.

What I've found myself doing as an adaptation is allowing the 1-4 to try and guide me but instead reacting as soon as I feel it to either swing up into 3rd instead or purposefully pushing the shifter to the right at slow speeds to come back and drop into second instead of trying to go direct.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #19
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Generally, the 1-4 skip never occurs for me because I get off of the line and go. In heavy traffic where I'm not first in line at the light, not only does the 1-4 skip sometimes occur, but dropping into 4 at very slow speeds is simply untenable.

What I've found myself doing as an adaptation is allowing the 1-4 to try and guide me but instead reacting as soon as I feel it to either swing up into 3rd instead or purposefully pushing the shifter to the right at slow speeds to come back and drop into second instead of trying to go direct.
When you’ve been driving nothing but manuals for 25 years, you develop your shifting habits that you don’t even think about. Then when you get your first car with CAGS while you still drive another car without it on a daily basis, you want to rip the damn transmission out of the car.

Installing the CAGS eliminator is the best $15 I ever spent in my entire life. Seriously.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:15 PM   #20
jb_camaro_2ss

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Arctic Blue
Quote:
Wait... This car has brakes?

I feel that there's quite a bit of braking from the engine in this car, but it's offset by weighing close to two full tons with a tank of gas and at least a driver on board. In the end, it's still a push/pull between the engine trying hard to slow down a heavy car.

Like you, I've also owned other manuals that felt like the engine braking "did more", but the car in question was also 1,000 lbs lighter.
You make a really good point. This car is on the heavier side, so the weight definitely should be a factor.

jb_camaro_2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #21
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
When you’ve been driving nothing but manuals for 25 years, you develop your shifting habits that you don’t even think about. Then when you get your first car with CAGS while you still drive another car without it on a daily basis, you want to rip the damn transmission out of the car.

Installing the CAGS eliminator is the best $15 I ever spent in my entire life. Seriously.
If I were regularly driving in heavier traffic, I would probably do the same thing. 99.99% of the time, my way of driving avoids CAGS entirely so I'm able to work around it pretty simply the couple of times it comes up.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #22
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with engine braking and will do ZERO HARM to your engine. The reason that engine braking is shunned is because people don't rev match on the downshift and it causes unnecessary wear on the clutch. If you rev match either manually or with ARM, there is no reason at all to avoid engine braking when slowing / stopping.
Yes. When I saw the anti-engine braking reply, I was like "well, I might as well exit the thread now before I start an argument" . There is nothing wrong with engine braking if done properly. I've done it with all of my manual cars, and also my various motorcycles I've had over the years. My current bike (1043 cc sport bike) has enough engine braking that I literally almost never use the brakes except when coming to a complete stop. Its so strong that I have to be giving it fuel or the bike slows down rapidly; there is no coasting without having the throttle on.

I feel the Camaro has a fair amount of engine braking. As others have said, there is some heft to the car. I also ALWAYS drive in track mode (there are other modes?? lol), if that matters.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #23
IceGoaliePaul

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT
Nothing wrong with engine braking. When you engine brake your kinetic energy goes into compressing air which produces heat which then gets absorbed by the water jacket. An engine can absorb and expel a tremendous amount of heat, far more than you can generate with engine braking.

I have noticed if you watch the fuel consumption that when you let off the gas it takes several seconds before it goes into fuel cutoff and you actually feel the deceleration begin. I wonder if it is just the ECU just assuming you are going to shift? I wonder if it goes into cutoff sooner if you brake at the same time.
IceGoaliePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #24
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGoaliePaul View Post
Nothing wrong with engine braking. When you engine brake your kinetic energy goes into compressing air which produces heat which then gets absorbed by the water jacket. An engine can absorb and expel a tremendous amount of heat, far more than you can generate with engine braking.

I have noticed if you watch the fuel consumption that when you let off the gas it takes several seconds before it goes into fuel cutoff and you actually feel the deceleration begin. I wonder if it is just the ECU just assuming you are going to shift? I wonder if it goes into cutoff sooner if you brake at the same time.
Every car I have ever owned reads too high in the estimated MPG compared to calculated, and I suspect that there are some limitations to how quickly the change in fuel flow is sensed and reported along with some shoddy programming.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:24 PM   #25
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
I engine brake with my A8 in manual mode all the time. The engine sounds glorious when downshifting while slowing down. I'm careful not to downshift from above 2500-3000 RPM or below gear M2, though I'm sure the transmission could handle it just fine.

If you are not doing this, I can't imagine you're enjoying manual mode much!

Last edited by PnCRedJwl2SS; 09-19-2020 at 04:57 PM.
PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:52 PM   #26
hep4186

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Thanks for all the comments. I understand the car is heavy and there is a fair amount of engine braking. I was talking about the delay between letting off the gas and when the braking begins. I have Borla Type S mufflers and is is very easy to hear when the car goes into compression. The delay is significantly less in track mode compared to sport or tour. I have the 6M and rev match mostly on my own since that is what I do in my BMW Z4M. Guess I'm comparing the 3200 pound 3.2L Z4 with the 3900 pound 6.2L Camaro. My uneducated mind was expecting the 6.2L engine to make up for the 700 pound weight difference.
No worries, just want to make sure there was nothing wrong with my car. We do have some significant hills here in Utah so coming down a hill in a lower gear definitely saves brake heating.

I have warped brakes in a SUV before so am cautious about overheating the rotors. By the way, I have had really good results with SP Performance drilled and slotted rotors and metallic pads on my Mazda CX9 and now my Acura MDX.
hep4186 is offline   Reply With Quote