Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 09-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
SloCal

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Hot Trans Temps/Overfilled M6

After i bought my car with 25k on it I swapped the trans fluid from stock to redline d4 atf. I had amsoil on my last ss and it worked great but tried redline this time.

I initially filled a bit below fill line per instructions but it was really notchy and almost money shifted a few days after and temps were hotter than on old car (125 degrees driving super calmly on freeways up to 150 on freeways in 90-100 degree heat).

I then topped it off to see if it would cool the trans temps a bit but it's been the same since and gets up to 150-155 in the recent heat wave of 100-110 degrees.

I'm going to the track soon and wondering if I should just (a) empty out some fluid so that it's per Chevy manual level or (b) do another full swap as I might have f**d it up by topping off?

also curious for anyone's perspective on d4 atf temps in ss and 1les here. i feel like it shouldnt be more than 180 on track and it's already at 160 in super hot weather coasting at 1800 rpm

2nd 6th gen
SPL Toe Arms/Brembo HTC64t/Corsa NPP/Tremec MTF Fluid
SloCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
RWT

Drives: 2020 Camaro RS
I can't speak to your track/driving temps but I have owned at least one manual transmission vehicle at all times for about the last 45 years. I can tell you there is no advantage to overfilling the transmission. It will not help with temps and can in fact help create additional heat. Overfilled transmission fluid will foam (aerate) from the churning (instead of splashing) in doing so it doesn't flow well. When it doesn't flow well, it doesn't lubricate well. When it doesn't lubricate well the parts heat up and because the fluid is foamy it doesn't carry away heat well. This is an oversimplification but I'm sure you get the idea.

As for the Redline d4, some lubricants just don't work well in some applications. I would go back to the Amsoil (I think it has more unicorn urine in it then the Redline anyway) or even try the OEM stuff and see how that works out.

The previous owner could have used an improper fluid and damaged the bronze sintered components (Synchros). GM hasn't officially licensed any DEX III since 2011 and it has been superseded in almost all automatic transmission applications. But it's still used in manuals because it doesn't damage brass or bronze components.

Hopefully some of the manual SS guys will chime in about your temps (I'm clueless).

No matter what you choose, just fill as recommended by the manufacturer and if it's still overheating and/or not shifting properly it may actually have a mechanical issue.

Please keep us posted as to your outcome as it may help someone else.

JMHO
No expertise implied or expressed

2020 Camaro RS, V6, 6MT, Satin Steel
2020 Silverado, 5.3L CC, RST, Z71, Shadow Gray
2019 Equinox LS, 1.5L Turbo, Nightfall Gray Metallic
RWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
getchapull
TEXIT

Drives: 2019 ZL1 M6
My M6 runs as cool as a cucumber in the Texas heat with Royal Purple Syncromax.
getchapull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:05 PM   #4
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCal View Post
After i bought my car with 25k on it I swapped the trans fluid from stock to redline d4 atf. I had amsoil on my last ss and it worked great but tried redline this time.

I initially filled a bit below fill line per instructions but it was really notchy and almost money shifted a few days after and temps were hotter than on old car (125 degrees driving super calmly on freeways up to 150 on freeways in 90-100 degree heat).

I then topped it off to see if it would cool the trans temps a bit but it's been the same since and gets up to 150-155 in the recent heat wave of 100-110 degrees.

I'm going to the track soon and wondering if I should just (a) empty out some fluid so that it's per Chevy manual level or (b) do another full swap as I might have f**d it up by topping off?

also curious for anyone's perspective on d4 atf temps in ss and 1les here. i feel like it shouldnt be more than 180 on track and it's already at 160 in super hot weather coasting at 1800 rpm
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=49

See that post for the service manual verbiage. You could simply pump 8 oz out. I marked an old water bottle to 8 oz, then used the same pump that i filled it with to drain that small amount out.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
ATF expands when hot. The removal of 8oz is to compensate for the expansion.

I also ran D4 until speaking with a Tremec rep and him explaining a few things about extending the life of the -6060 when tracking.

I switched to their HP fluid. It's not ATF and doesn't have the same expansion properties. You can fill until full.

As for your scenario, I would not track with a full case. Take some fluid out.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #6
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Tick Performance advised me to use the OEM spec Dexron fluid in a factory, untouched transmission.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Is 150 degrees hot on a 100 degree day??

Im pretty sure mine goes to 150 all the time.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
getchapull
TEXIT

Drives: 2019 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post
Is 150 degrees hot on a 100 degree day??

Im pretty sure mine goes to 150 all the time.
Mine runs about 130 degrees in the Texas heat with the Royal Purple fluid. This is on the street.
getchapull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:15 AM   #9
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post

I also ran D4 until speaking with a Tremec rep and him explaining a few things about extending the life of the -6060 when tracking.

I switched to their HP fluid. It's not ATF and doesn't have the same expansion properties. You can fill until full.

I do find it interesting that other T56 / TR6060 applications call for the trans to be filled up to the bottom of the fill plug (without removing that 8oz). I wonder why they call for less fluid in the Camaro application?

Either way, I followed their recommendation to be safe.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:16 AM   #10
SloCal

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post

Interesting - so you run yours on track topped off with tremec fluid? And it’s smooth as butter? No temp issues?

All,

I recently ran it on track at buttonwillow and almost money shifted due to lockout. I’ve been driving manual for years and am now super in my head about this. I need to fix the lockout/notchiness I’ve had when it’s warm wifh the 1le vs my regular ss
Before something bad happens.

Temps were fine but I have no confidence in high rpm shifting between 1-2-3 and it’s worrying me. Wondering if anyone else has had this and solved it with a fluid swap? Otherwise not sure what it could be I’m starting to doubt myself as a driver with constant 3rd gear missed shifts. Want to be able to go 10/10 on track without thinking about it. Had to shift at 5k Rest of
My
Track day after missed shifts sapped my confidence

2nd 6th gen
SPL Toe Arms/Brembo HTC64t/Corsa NPP/Tremec MTF Fluid
SloCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i had my lockout tuned out best thing i ever did lol