Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-25-2020, 08:40 AM   #15
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
How far off are you money wise to being able to swing a ZL1? It doesn’t have to be new, & if big mods that will require a trans tune are in the cards a ‘19- older is the better choice.
Lots to think about here, as far as Pray NA setup, to get those big NA numbers, you will need a large cam, top tier head porting and all the supporting valvetrain, larger ported intake manifold, and all the complementary porting on throttle body, etc. The end result is an all motor SS that could probably walk your current 5th gen ZL1, BUT, there will be tradeoffs in drivability and how long your valvetrain lasts.

If there is any way you could go for a 17+ ZL1, I would say it would be a better decision in the long run. You will miss those 200 hp and 200 ft lbs of torque if going to a gen 6 SS. I HIGHLY suggest driving an SS and a ZL1 back to back on a same day if you can. This will be the most educational method for someone coming from a gen 5 ZL1.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #16
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Except for the slightly lighter chassis weight, the 6th gen is really not superior to the 5th gen ZL1. People like to say this, but it's not reality. Lighter weight and better suspension geometry is all it really has over the 5th gen ZL1.

Since you already own a 5th gen ZL1 that has been modded as well, I don't think any 6th gen would satisfy you unless you made the jump to a 6th gen ZL1. If you got the 6th gen SS, you will disappointed by the nearly 150-200hp difference. The 5th gen ZL1 was heavy, but it's not that much heavier than a 6th gen SS with an aftermarket S/C. Maybe 200-300lbs at the most.

Unless you can make the jump to a 6th gen ZL1, I'd keep the 5th gen (ZL1) and just do more mods to make up the weight difference. If/when you really have to get rid of it for whatever reason, then make the jump to a 6th gen ZL1. You won't be happy with anything less at your power level IMO.

My $.03.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #17
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern-TSI View Post
So I’m really liking these Pray Performance 6th gens. I’m thinking of going to a 6th gen SS from a modded 5th gen Zl1. The thing is I’m at 627hp without cam now but the lighter weight and direct injection is really tempting. The 5th gen is getting closer and closer to being payed off and mods are a lot cheaper than an LT1 platform. Is it worth it?
5th gen was nice, but the 6th gen is nicer, looks better, handles better, lighter. And I also came from a 5th Gen.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #18
Fern-TSI

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, street tune ,LTH, CAI,
Very valid points guys I think I’m going to save up for a used 6th gen Zl1.
Fern-TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #19
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
A Pray H/C SS will eat almost any ZL1 both 5th or 6th gen under 700whp alive. He has a few full weight H/C cars running high 9's to low 10's @ 137mph. The LT1 is one mean bitch with proper airflow and valve events. If I wanted the cam chop and didn't mind the high stall converter, I would of went that way over a supercharger. This go around I wanted stock driveability and manners but it's by no means the faster approach. Power numbers do not tell the entire story.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #20
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP consider this. With a good tuner (and Pray is one of the best) and an LT1 or SS you can easily get to mid or low 11s without Heads/Cam. That is as fast as any stock ZL1. I had an A10 one and ran with a number of stock ones at Atco. You don't need to slap on a supercharger. You don't need the extra weight. Of course with that setup you now own the drivetrain. Treat it well. I also can add i have seen a couple of M6 ZL1 owners struggle to get past high or infrequent 11s stock.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:59 PM   #21
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Good idea!👍
Old 10-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #22
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
A Pray H/C SS will eat almost any ZL1 both 5th or 6th gen under 700whp alive. He has a few full weight H/C cars running high 9's to low 10's @ 137mph. The LT1 is one mean bitch with proper airflow and valve events. If I wanted the cam chop and didn't mind the high stall converter, I would of went that way over a supercharger. This go around I wanted stock driveability and manners but it's by no means the faster approach. Power numbers do not tell the entire story.
Intended application & driving style is, in the end, whether or not one should build a high-winding N/A car or a low end torque monster.

Low speed response & total street-ability is the trade-off for sheer top end pull.

At the same time E85, some sticky radials & practice can have a ZL1 knocking on a FBO N/A build.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #23
Fern-TSI

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, street tune ,LTH, CAI,
https://youtu.be/KIlGV9yONsI
https://youtu.be/MGoDU78DTB0

Here is a video of my first round of mods, I have since then added a ported blower and Forgestar D5 drag pack With front skinnies and 28x11.50-17 bias ply rears.
Fern-TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:38 PM   #24
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
This is the only way to go.

Moving from a 5th Gen ZL1 to a 6th Gen SS (Alpha platform or not), and you would always have that nagging feeling in the back of your head... You would miss the little extra thrill the ZL1 gets you. Stick to your guns.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:00 PM   #25
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
my 12 SS had cam and suspension. the 6th gen is better.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #26
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Intended application & driving style is, in the end, whether or not one should build a high-winding N/A car or a low end torque monster.

Low speed response & total street-ability is the trade-off for sheer top end pull.

At the same time E85, some sticky radials & practice can have a ZL1 knocking on a FBO N/A build.
Agree...and note a H/C car to make the kind of power that would accomplish what I mentioned prior is likely going to need more maintenance over the long haul such as replacing valve springs and what not. There is no free lunch. Either way I would rather have the 6th gen ZL1 for sure.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote