Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #15
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Well I’ve never really checked other than a week after oil change just to and sure all is well. 2 quarts between changed sounds like a lot. I’ll need to check on that.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:15 PM   #16
NiteBlitz

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Mine eats oil pretty good as well. I have put in 4 quarts since last oil change. But I notice the oil getting lower after a trip to the drag strip. Usually make about 15 to 20 passes. I asked my tuner about this and he thought it was normal. I also asked another mechanic unrelated to this one and he also stated that the more I push it the more oil it will eat. Engine tuned so warranty is voided. Will see how it goes in the future.
NiteBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #17
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Well I’ve never really checked other than a week after oil change just to and sure all is well. 2 quarts between changed sounds like a lot. I’ll need to check on that.
I think it's because I use the paddles every time I drive. Probably the downshifts. I'm okay with it.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:18 PM   #18
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
Over first (5) track days, mine seems to drink .5-1.0 qt per track day; but not during normal driving. I would guess that LT4’s are built looser due to forged internals, probably larger ring gaps, etc. Also, track use at extended WOT, hot conditions all favor oil consumption.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:43 AM   #19
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
You said that after your first oil change where the tech said it was 2 qts low, you waited 6000 miles to check your oil level again? You should check your oil at least every time you fill up, or every week. Especially with a car like this, it a world class beast with the second most powerful production engine in GM history, and you have a ZLE.

I have a ZLE but I also have a 2020 MDX SH-AWD which I drive pretty hard sometimes, winding out that sweet Honda 3.5 and pushing it hard through canyons behind my house. I only check oil every month and it literally never burns a drop, but it’s an Acura and they never do—I’ve had 3 MDXs.

My ZLE only consumes some oil when I go on long drives with a lot of cruising on freeway, never from canyon runs or on track. It’s weird.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:09 AM   #20
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
You said that after your first oil change where the tech said it was 2 qts low, you waited 6000 miles to check your oil level again? You should check your oil at least every time you fill up, or every week. Especially with a car like this, it a world class beast with the second most powerful production engine in GM history, and you have a ZLE.

I have a ZLE but I also have a 2020 MDX SH-AWD which I drive pretty hard sometimes, winding out that sweet Honda 3.5 and pushing it hard through canyons behind my house. I only check oil every month and it literally never burns a drop, but it’s an Acura and they never do—I’ve had 3 MDXs.

My ZLE only consumes some oil when I go on long drives with a lot of cruising on freeway, never from canyon runs or on track. It’s weird.
Exactly, a ZL-1 or an SS, CHECK YOUR OIL REGULARLY!!!! This isn't a toy, it is a HIGH PERFORMANCE VEHICLE!! Maintain it accordingly!!!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:54 AM   #21
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I burn about one qt per 1000 miles. I drive my car hard. My ls1 did the same thing
Old 09-15-2020, 07:27 AM   #22
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowtie1 View Post
I burn about one qt per 1000 miles. I drive my car hard. My ls1 did the same thing
Yeah my 1998 SS with the LS1 used a quart 1500 to 2000 miles of driving pretty hard!
Old 09-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #23
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
The dealership here where I live will let you bring your own oil but they have to supply the oil filter. My question and concern would be if they used your oil to do the service or the oil they have in stock. I like and use Valvoline synthetic 5w30 in mine and I wouldn’t know if they put it in my ZL1 or Mobil 1 what they use.
I had a pretty close relationship with my dealer in NY. They would let me hang out and watch them work so I know things were done right. They definitely used what I gave them. Not so sure how it's going to work here. My main concern is getting it on the lift correctly. That said, I suppose I'm almost due for a change. It's been 11 months but I've only put about 500 miles on it since then, due to no place to go what with all the shutdowns from covid hysteria. I'm sure oil is fine, just wonder what the life expectancy of the filter is. I typically put 3-5k miles/yr on my fun cars, but this year is obviously different. Rule of thumb I know is at least once /yr., but wondering if I'm ok to let it go for a few more miles or months.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #24
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
A lot depends on how the car was driven between oil changes. If you're beating the hell out of it, two quarts in 6k miles isn't bad at all. If you're driving very conservatively it seems a little high.
Even with all my mods, my car doesn't use a drop between changes, even with a modest amount of spirited street driving. A full track day will blow out around one quart.
Some cars are certainly worse than others. I remember Car and Driver's long term '16SS really drank the oil.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:45 AM   #25
OutlawV2

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I ONE HUNDRED PERCENT AGREE WITH YOU about the duration I waited.... HOWEVER, that being said this thing is a BRAND NEW car with a 75K sticker price and an oil monitoring system that was still over 50% life even after 6,000 miles. Correct I didn't check the level, but when a car has ZERO leaks, it should consume VERY little oil if the engine is operating properly.

And you can tell from the WIDE margins of stories all over the place that the LT4 is either consuming NONE or consuming quite a bit.... which is what scares me.. Now that I know the car is consuming oil i'm going to keep checking it every 2,000 miles. But in all reality, I don't track this thing, I weekend drive it and I drive it "sportingly" with an occasional high speed sprint here and there....

I just know motors. and in general a motor consuming two quarts in 5,000 miles isn't right.... one quart MAYBE..... two... no.... But i'm sure Chevy is gonna tell me to Pound sand when i even SUGGEST a motor swap.... lmao!

JB

2012 CTS-V Diamond White A6 Coupe "Becky"
1995 Z28 1LE 383" LT1 A3 N2O Drag Car 9.06@153
OutlawV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:51 AM   #26
Stevezx900

Drives: Buick Grand National, BMW M5
Would this indicate break in procedures were not followed correctly?
Stevezx900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #27
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post

My kid's inlaws have a new CRV that needs about a qt. every 1000 miles. Honda says it's okay, but if it gets any worse, they'd do something about it...
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:53 AM   #28
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawV2 View Post
I ONE HUNDRED PERCENT AGREE WITH YOU about the duration I waited.... HOWEVER, that being said this thing is a BRAND NEW car with a 75K sticker price and an oil monitoring system that was still over 50% life even after 6,000 miles. Correct I didn't check the level, but when a car has ZERO leaks, it should consume VERY little oil if the engine is operating properly.

And you can tell from the WIDE margins of stories all over the place that the LT4 is either consuming NONE or consuming quite a bit.... which is what scares me.. Now that I know the car is consuming oil i'm going to keep checking it every 2,000 miles. But in all reality, I don't track this thing, I weekend drive it and I drive it "sportingly" with an occasional high speed sprint here and there....

I just know motors. and in general a motor consuming two quarts in 5,000 miles isn't right.... one quart MAYBE..... two... no.... But i'm sure Chevy is gonna tell me to Pound sand when i even SUGGEST a motor swap.... lmao!

JB
"Any" dealer would laugh at you for suggesting a new motor for a qt. every 2500 miles. I don't care who builds the car...
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote