Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #1
MrNooNoos

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Smile Cam/Heads maintenance on Camaro 1LE

Hey everyone, I'll be getting my car cammed soon. I was wondering if its worth it getting the ATI pulley as it gets to the shop? The shop is Fast Lane Performance located in ATL, if anyone also knows anything about them and their work.

The cam/heads kit for me includes:

King Kong V2 cam/TSP cam of my choosing (shop cam)
.660 dual valve springs
hardened push rods
new valve seals
LS7 style lifters
gaskets, trays, bolts
new spark plugs and taylor spark plug wires
tune
ported manifold (in house)
ported throttle body (in house)
ported heads (in house)
C7R timing chain
Trunnion upgrade

I do want an aggressive chop and something drivable, but moreso power and a higher rev range. They did mention I should be able to rev up to 6.8-7k after all of this.

They did mention porting of headers (not heads, headers. Exhaust Manifold) said it was some sort of "old school" trick and whatnot. Haven't found enough information to agree to it though. Does anyone know anything at all about this or is it just bs?

I want max performance from this and plan on keeping the car NA, boost will be saved for another car. What else can I add to the build? Currently running E85 already. I am open to other mods such as solid rear cradle from the ZL1 1LE and will be asking them on that install as well.

Thank you guys!
MrNooNoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The Camaro has Tri-y shorty headers from the factory, not manifolds. Long tube headers will make some extra power especially with the primary cats removed(biggest restriction in the exhaust). I would go with a LT2 manifold with a 95mm tb over ported stock. Didn't see anything mentioned far as VVT limiter or lockout kit but I would lock it out.

Far as maintenance, that depends on the specs of the cam(lobe intensity and lift) I would check valve spring pressures every 10-15k miles and plan on changing them every 25-30k miles. Not a big fan of LS7 lifters in higher rpm applications with heavy springs and high lift.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
MrNooNoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I would go with a LT2 manifold with a 95mm tb over ported stock. Didn't see anything mentioned far as VVT limiter or lockout kit but I would lock it out.

Far as maintenance, that depends on the specs of the cam(lobe intensity and lift) I would check valve spring pressures every 10-15k miles and plan on changing them every 25-30k miles. Not a big fan of LS7 lifters in higher rpm applications with heavy springs and high lift.
I am currently running a MSD intake manifold/103mm NW TB, there is a afm/dod delete with the kit, I forgot to add it. I do also have after market headers at 1 7/8s, would it be beneficial to run 2" headers for a cam?

What kind of lifters would you recommend? A lot of people say Johnson lifters are the way to go, but the shop told me that they're running LS7 lifters on their shop ZL1 making around 850 rwhp which is currently cammed.

Last edited by MrNooNoos; 10-26-2020 at 08:39 AM. Reason: more info
Old 10-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
HP is not the limiting factor for lifters it's cam lobe intensity, spring rates, and rpm. Often times NA cams have more aggressive lobe profiles then Supercharged stuff and rev higher. Ask the shop if they are going to put 50k miles on their shop ZL1? Sure it might be making that power and handling it now, but most Shop builds are not built with longevity in mind.

Imo the build you have listed above is a combination that will likely need maintenance in 20-30k miles at best. If you are just going to get the car out on weekends to rip on it and it likely will not see 30k miles over the next 4-5yrs then you are fine. If it's a daily that will see lots of miles (I would want to see the cam card), but I would choose a cam that is .600 lift or less and works with beehive springs. Cam motion would be my choice.

1 7/8 headers are fine...2" will make a little more power but it's not a big deal.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #5
MrNooNoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
HP is not the limiting factor for lifters it's cam lobe intensity, spring rates, and rpm. Often times NA cams have more aggressive lobe profiles then Supercharged stuff and rev higher. Ask the shop if they are going to put 50k miles on their shop ZL1? Sure it might be making that power and handling it now, but most Shop builds are not built with longevity in mind.

Imo the build you have listed above is a combination that will likely need maintenance in 20-30k miles at best. If you are just going to get the car out on weekends to rip on it and it likely will not see 30k miles over the next 4-5yrs then you are fine. If it's a daily that will see lots of miles (I would want to see the cam card), but I would choose a cam that is .600 lift or less and works with beehive springs. Cam motion would be my choice.

1 7/8 headers are fine...2" will make a little more power but it's not a big deal.
The car is almost 2 years old and just hit 16,000 miles, it is currently my daily but that's going to change soon. What's the cam card you're saying? Is it the specs? I asked them about that and they had mentioned to me that its a "in house secret" and would not disclose the cam specs. I know nothing about the lift etc. What kinds of lifters do you recommend? Money is no issue, just want max performance and max longevity from the build.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
I personally wouldn’t buy a cam that they don’t provide a cam card with, YMMV.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:40 AM   #7
MrNooNoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
I personally wouldn’t buy a cam that they don’t provide a cam card with, YMMV.
I'm going to give them a call and figure out some more information on the cam. If not, then I may opt for the "EL-C7" cam with the following specs:

23x/24x, .645"/.635", 113 LSA

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-7578-t...-camshaft.aspx
Old 10-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
If money is no issue - I'd get a quote from Vengeance Racing in Cumming, GA. That shop is considered a national premiere performance shop for the LS/LT GM engine platform. They'll also give you the cam spec card without playing the super secret cam spec game. Or at least they didn't play that game when I had cam work done there on my 5th Gen Camaro. I too would recommend staying away from high lift (above .600) cams for anything but a weekend warrior if driven more than a few thousand miles a year.

Good luck - I do miss my hard-chopping cammed 5th Gen but this 6th Gen is so much better all around.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #9
NYblack1le

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
If you are looking for an all out NA build contact GPI
NYblack1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #10
MrNooNoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
If money is no issue - I'd get a quote from Vengeance Racing in Cumming, GA. That shop is considered a national premiere performance shop for the LS/LT GM engine platform. They'll also give you the cam spec card without playing the super secret cam spec game. Or at least they didn't play that game when I had cam work done there on my 5th Gen Camaro. I too would recommend staying away from high lift (above .600) cams for anything but a weekend warrior if driven more than a few thousand miles a year.

Good luck - I do miss my hard-chopping cammed 5th Gen but this 6th Gen is so much better all around.
I've heard of Vengeance Racing before. FLP is having a special on ported heads, so I'm going to stick with that route. Money is no issue as in adding better parts to the build, not spending up to 3X the money for a different shop to do it.

Know anything about the ATI lower pulley being beneficial to the build at all?
Old 10-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #11
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNooNoos View Post
I've heard of Vengeance Racing before. FLP is having a special on ported heads, so I'm going to stick with that route. Money is no issue as in adding better parts to the build, not spending up to 3X the money for a different shop to do it.

Know anything about the ATI lower pulley being beneficial to the build at all?
I'd add the ATI pulley unless they are a stupid high price now (I had one on my 5th gen) as the stock pulley has to come off anyway. No extra labor cost that way. It will free up a few extra HP.

Good luck and I hope you get an awesome and reliable build. I still say give Vengeance a shot at giving you a quote. They are just up the road from ATL and their reputation is hard to beat.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #12
MrNooNoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I'd add the ATI pulley unless they are a stupid high price now (I had one on my 5th gen) as the stock pulley has to come off anyway. No extra labor cost that way. It will free up a few extra HP.

Good luck and I hope you get an awesome and reliable build. I still say give Vengeance a shot at giving you a quote. They are just up the road from ATL and their reputation is hard to beat.
Thanks for pulley info +1

I'll give them a call today and see what they have available, these guys have me out in at the end of november and gave me about a 1 week turn around. I'm basically getting my cam/heads/port kit for about 5.5k with all the additions minus pulley. I just want a nasty chop and powah!
Old 10-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #13
MrNooNoos

I have been looking more at cams, but can't really seem to find one with anything lower than .600 lift. All of TSPs cams are .63X+. I'll go with upgraded lifters and trunnions and new OEM bolts but as far as a lower spec'd cam, I got no info.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:48 PM   #14
GAOLDGUY

Drives: 2012 GMC Sierra, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Lift / Lifter / Good Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNooNoos View Post
I have been looking more at cams, but can't really seem to find one with anything lower than .600 lift. All of TSPs cams are .63X+. I'll go with upgraded lifters and trunnions and new OEM bolts but as far as a lower spec'd cam, I got no info.
Hey, I'm in the Atlanta area also so I am extremely interested in what happens to you long term. By the way, am I to assume that all these guys can tune you so you pass the emissions test we are required to take here?

https://cammotion.com/gen-5-lt-camsh...226-238-113-3/

Have a look at the cam above. This is slightly over .600 lift but I believe it is less that the maximum for the Johnson lifters. I would call Johnson to be sure but this is an alternative to the cam / lifter combination and a little milder. If you require a snotty idle, you may also want to speak to Cam Motion about the "chop" factor.

Also, have a look through this thread, "Cam upgrade quagmire". I thought there was extremely valuable info in here. Around post #23 they talk about the ls7 lifter vs. the Johnsons.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ighlight=darth
GAOLDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, cam, heads cam, race