#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #71
AustinTXracer

Drives: 20 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post

It occurs to me that since the display can show locking percentage in real time, it would be interesting to focus a camera on it during some runs, and try to correlate locking percentage and rate of change with on-throttle oversteer. Maybe an OBD data logger can capture that? Maybe someone already has and I've just missed it?

That would be fantastic! I don't have another event til 11/7, but I will see if I can get a gopro to watch the dash. The diff data is not in the PDR unfortunately.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #72
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTXracer View Post
Staying stock is beneficial in many ways like warranty, setup creep, class flexibility, cost, etc. I'd be surprised if you can't have fun in this car in stock form - I sure am :P
You can keep warranty with the elsd AX tune, and I'd guess camber plates might kill your warranty on the front struts but beyond that I doubt it's much of an issue.

I don't think cost is much of an issue... elsd tune + plates is < $1k and no difference in cost for wheels and tires. I'm also doing ZLE rear cradle bushings, which can affect warranty, but they'd have to know you did them... I plan on painting them black.

The car is great stock, but I do think it'll be more fun with those few mods.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:45 PM   #73
AustinTXracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeMike View Post
I also had my eye on a carbon fiber hood...but I don't know. We'll see.

Mike
I know I'm throwing this thread off the rails, but i wonder if a carbon hood is even lighter than the stock aluminum one. They typically are about the same or heavier. Fenders are steel though and you may want more front wheel clearance anyway to go to 11" or bigger wheels :P
Old 10-27-2020, 01:47 PM   #74
AustinTXracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
You can keep warranty with the elsd AX tune, and I'd guess camber plates might kill your warranty on the front struts but beyond that I doubt it's much of an issue.

I don't think cost is much of an issue... elsd tune + plates is < $1k and no difference in cost for wheels and tires. I'm also doing ZLE rear cradle bushings, which can affect warranty, but they'd have to know you did them... I plan on painting them black.

The car is great stock, but I do think it'll be more fun with those few mods.

Agreed for the initial investment, but I'd want to take it to being comfortably faster than CAMC which would take more than plates and a diff tune. I'd be checking out the mag shock tuner for sure if you are going for limited hardware changes.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:55 PM   #75
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTXracer View Post
That would be fantastic! I don't have another event til 11/7, but I will see if I can get a gopro to watch the dash. The diff data is not in the PDR unfortunately.
If you get a chance to do this, please let us know! I'd try to do it myself, but we are done for the year up here.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #76
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeMike View Post
We do 'fun runs' after events if there is time, and about mid-season I had the opportunity to drive a friend's 1LE after an event where I had run my stock 1LE all day. His had the eDiff calibration, but other than that the cars were close to identically prepared. We both drove each other's cars, and both noticed a big difference between the two.

Turn in felt more stable in his car, especially when trail braking was still involved. But the big difference was drive off, his rear tires felt much more planted and willing to accept much more throttle much faster without wheelspin. His felt like it was 'IN the track' during drive off the tight corners. Mine slipped a wheel at the slightest hint of early throttle, and managing wheelspin was prime concern every corner exit. Mine felt like it was 'ON top of the track'. I hope that explanation makes sense?

Mike
That makes me super depressed and how much i wish i could run the diff tune :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
You could just get a regular SS. A local has one in X/CAM-C and it's very fast... as is the driver!

I feel like most of the time the car does exactly what I expect it to do, and it doesn't spin the inside tire on corner exit, ever... I only feel like elsd calibration is an issue in certain circumstances, such as accelerating through slaloms with increasing spacing, then it feels a little vague and touchy, it's easy to give it too much throttle.

I don't understand being serious about AX and NOT getting the AX cal though, the car wasn't primarily intended for AX use, so it makes sense the elsd isn't calibrated perfectly for it. But since a fix exists for a few hundred bucks why not just get it done rather than buying a whole new car? Doesn't make any sense to me...
used to have a regular 2017 ss in FS thats how I could feel the difference. I knew how well that car hooked up! That said I am not going back to SS in a base camaro. now while the M3 is there....
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote