#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 09-08-2021, 07:04 AM   #309
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I was thinking about how each of these settings/programs might be affected by the trans being in Auto versus Manual. I'm assuming they're not going to function exactly the same.
For traction and stability control it would not make a difference. They look at both longitudinal wheel slip, and vehicle yaw rate, and this is not directly linked to manual/auto setting. The engine torque is also considered of course, and this is affected by the gearing, but the math would be same between auto/manual modes either way.

So in the end TC and Stabilitrack don't care if you're in 2nd gear manual or 10th gear auto. They care about wheel and sideways slip, and torque applied by the motor and steering wheel angle.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:22 AM   #310
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
This might be a question that has been discussed elsewhere, but I thought it would be good to include all the information in this thread, so I am asking it here.

In the Excel file of the OP, there is a column that indicates throttle mapping. What is the difference between 'Normal' and 'Track' throttle mapping? (It seems that throttle mapping is the same in Touring and Sport mode)

Also, without taking into consideration the PTM modes, the only difference between the default Touring, Sport and Track modes is the RPM level when a gear change takes place (Track > Sport > Touring) and exhaust/steering wheel/magnaride settings?

Last edited by MakCamaro; 09-30-2021 at 01:14 AM.
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:37 AM   #311
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakCamaro View Post
This might be a question that has been discussed elsewhere, but I thought it would be good to include all the information in this thread, so I am asking it here.

In the Excel file of the OP, there is a column that indicates throttle mapping. What is the difference between 'Normal' and 'Track' throttle mapping? (It seems that throttle mapping is the same in Touring and Sport mode)

Also, without taking into consideration the PTM modes, the only difference between the default Touring, Sport and Track modes are the RPM level when a gear change takes place (Track > Sport > Touring) and exhaust/steering wheel/magnaride settings?
Not sure what the calibrations are for an auto vs manual. Track throttle is more progressive. GM changed it based on initial feedback from tests by Randy Pobst. Another component that changes based on individual set up is eLSD (aka "ediff") calibration. Hope this helps. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:14 PM   #312
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Not sure what the calibrations are for an auto vs manual. Track throttle is more progressive. GM changed it based on initial feedback from tests by Randy Pobst. Another component that changes based on individual set up is eLSD (aka "ediff") calibration. Hope this helps. Cheers!
I know the throttle issue has been discussed before, including the part about changes made following RPs feedback. So what do you mean by Track throttle is "more progressive"? I thought Track was the most linear mapping (20% pedal = 20% throttle, 40% = 40%) of the 3 modes. Is that the case?
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:37 AM   #313
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I know the throttle issue has been discussed before, including the part about changes made following RPs feedback. So what do you mean by Track throttle is "more progressive"? I thought Track was the most linear mapping (20% pedal = 20% throttle, 40% = 40%) of the 3 modes. Is that the case?
That's the way it feels to me.
Track feels "normal", where tour and sport are exaggerated just off idle.
A light touch of the throttle in both tour and sport mode gives you more output that actually demanded to make the car seem more responsive.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:03 AM   #314
MakCamaro
Makis

Going through other threads in this forum, this is my understanding as well, that Tour and Sport are more responsive ("exaggerated" as you put it) so pressing the pedal leads to more output at the throttle, whereas Track is more linear.

Another difference between the default Tour, Sport and Track modes, as I said above, is the RPM level when a gear change takes place (so Track holds RPM higher than Sport, which in turn holds RPM higher than Tour). eDiff seems to be the same (Mode 1) in all four modes by default, unless one removes any of the nannies or enters either Competitive or any of the PTM modes.

Last edited by MakCamaro; 09-28-2021 at 08:17 AM.
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:59 AM   #315
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
That's the way it feels to me.
Track feels "normal", where tour and sport are exaggerated just off idle.
A light touch of the throttle in both tour and sport mode gives you more output that actually demanded to make the car seem more responsive.
I wish they mapped the throttle like Track in all the modes. With a manual, the mapping in Tour is annoying as hell. I know in the customization menus you can change steering effort and exhaust sounds independent of the different modes, but I can't find any way to do that with throttle mapping. Is there a way that I'm missing? Unfortunately the autocross class I run doesn't allow me to add one of those aftermarket throttle mapping tuner things.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:06 PM   #316
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I wish they mapped the throttle like Track in all the modes. With a manual, the mapping in Tour is annoying as hell. I know in the customization menus you can change steering effort and exhaust sounds independent of the different modes, but I can't find any way to do that with throttle mapping. Is there a way that I'm missing? Unfortunately the autocross class I run doesn't allow me to add one of those aftermarket throttle mapping tuner things.
Well, if you want the most linear throttle mapping provided by Track mode, then you would put the car in Track mode and if there were other things (steering, shocks, sound) that you didn't want in track mode, you would have to permanently set them into a different mode using the infotainment screen.

But wouldn't you be using Track mode for autocross anyway?
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:23 PM   #317
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Well, if you want the most linear throttle mapping provided by Track mode, then you would put the car in Track mode and if there were other things (steering, shocks, sound) that you didn't want in track mode, you would have to permanently set them into a different mode using the infotainment screen.

But wouldn't you be using Track mode for autocross anyway?
Right, I use Track mode for autocross or HPDE events. I'm talking about street driving for daily driving use. So I don't want the louder exhaust or heavy steering that Track entails. I could program that all out to Tour settings, I guess, but then I'd have to change it all back before every weekend event and it wouldn't be available for those spur-of-the-moment "spirited" driving times. It's not really a viable option for me.

This is one of my very few complaints about the operation of the car: why the hell couldn't they allow us to tailor the throttle mapping in each mode like they do with steering effort and exhaust noise? Aside from the non-linearity of the throttle in Tour, the lag in response is occasionally very annoying. In particular after a 1-2 shift, every once in a while it will lag to respond as I continue pressing the pedal down more...and then all the throttle comes in suddenly and tries to give me whiplash. That never happens in Track mode.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:16 AM   #318
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
I could program that all out to Tour settings, I guess, but then I'd have to change it all back before every weekend event and it wouldn't be available for those spur-of-the-moment "spirited" driving times. It's not really a viable option for me.
You can change those settings on the infotainment screen in a few seconds while driving in light traffic or pull into a parking lot to change them if traffic is heavy. I always change my exhaust mode to stealth when I enter my neighborhood at night.

IMO the most annoying thing about that setup would be remembering to put it in Track mode after every startup since it doesn't stay there after you turn the engine off unlike Sport and Tour, but I guess it would become a mindless habit after a while.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:36 AM   #319
MakCamaro
Makis

The best explanation I could find on throttle mapping in the different driving modes:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...1#post11077690
Old 09-29-2021, 11:06 AM   #320
Cjw

Drives: 370z, Srt-6
Let’s bring up an old thread, I’m being told that ptm race does not have enough traction control to keep on from spinning on corner exit. I autocross and in ptm race when throttling out of a corner you can hear the drone of power being cut, and in the pdr see the traction light limiting power. With that said, if what I’m being told is true, what is the next step up from ptm race? All off/sport 1 and all off? Or am I missing something?, just can’t seem to see ptm race allowing you to completely rotate and spin the car on exit?
Cjw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:24 AM   #321
Msquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjw View Post
Let’s bring up an old thread, I’m being told that ptm race does not have enough traction control to keep on from spinning on corner exit. I autocross and in ptm race when throttling out of a corner you can hear the drone of power being cut, and in the pdr see the traction light limiting power. With that said, if what I’m being told is true, what is the next step up from ptm race? All off/sport 1 and all off? Or am I missing something?, just can’t seem to see ptm race allowing you to completely rotate and spin the car on exit?
What you were told is that PTM Race does not have stability control. It still has some traction control, but that won't save you from all spin scenarios if you're really cornering at the limits of traction, especially in an autocross (low-speed turn) situation. The eLSD still does its thing, which sometimes is overly abrupt, and all the throttle control in the world won't save the rear end if the LSD locks up too quickly. Countersteer will, though, if you haven't let it get too deep.

The next and only step after PTM Race is "all nannies off" mode, which you achieve by putting the car in Track mode and then holding the traction-control-off button for more than 5 seconds until both the Stabilitrak-off and TC-off light up on the dash. We discussed this a few posts back, with pictures.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:11 PM   #322
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
What you were told is that PTM Race does not have stability control. It still has some traction control, but that won't save you from all spin scenarios if you're really cornering at the limits of traction, especially in an autocross (low-speed turn) situation. The eLSD still does its thing, which sometimes is overly abrupt, and all the throttle control in the world won't save the rear end if the LSD locks up too quickly. Countersteer will, though, if you haven't let it get too deep.

The next and only step after PTM Race is "all nannies off" mode, which you achieve by putting the car in Track mode and then holding the traction-control-off button for more than 5 seconds until both the Stabilitrak-off and TC-off light up on the dash. We discussed this a few posts back, with pictures.
Spot on. And to the op, yes in track race it will cut power if you over cook a corner in autocross. I am somewhat surprised it does that in tight corners because I swear I was slowing enough to avoid that and nope, I wasn’t..lol and if you have a lousy low grip lot to run on as I do it is even worse and you need to adjust driving to that. It is a good tool as it does tell you when the tires aren’t gripping, regardless of how well you think you are driving . And as Msquared said, the EDiff will do its thing regardless as it appears to be setup for fast roadcourses vs autocross speeds and slow tight turns. Track race I have found will mess you up when you overcook a corner, but will help the potential corner exit EDiff oversteer issue, if any. I think that’s due to the more progressive throttle in race vs when I use nannies off and no traction control, with sport that seems to have a exaggerated throttle , putting to much power down on exit (?). The times I get exit oversteer is in a tight 90 degree turn onto a straight. And slight counter steer always straightens the car out. All of this is with 305/30/19 re71s all around and a hotchkiss front bar on soft, this closely approximates the stock set up as to response as best I can tell for comparison. For info,The only time I have no computer interference or EDiff/oversteer on exit is when I set the front bar to the mid setting. But the penalty is to much understeer everywhere, especially on tight turns and a slower pace. For me anyway.

Last edited by VR Baron; 09-29-2021 at 12:21 PM.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote