Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-19-2022, 01:07 PM   #15
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Here is my stock log showing my car warmed up idling fine with the LTFTs -12% to -13% but the short term fuel trims are perfect almost at zero. This means the car is completely happy and running correctly. At least in closed loop.

And the second photo is the log from my car with nothing but the rotofab added. No tune change or anything, still all completely stock same gas and everything. Here you can see the LTFTs are better. Closer to zero. More air going in means more fuel is needed and not as much pulled out from the factory airbox restriction. So the fuel trims are doing their job, and the shorties are still happy at zero-ish.
Attached Images

SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:50 PM   #16
ChevyTech77

Drives: Not yet….
Long term trims at 10% isn’t anything to be concerned about. Also, these aren’t 1988 TPI small blocks, or worse. They are not going to hurt themselves from a little romp down the road and back to clean the plugs. It’s a known deal with these. Run them like they were intended to be run and there won’t be any issues like this.
ChevyTech77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:37 PM   #17
Bmhenry

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
Sorry thats not correct. The car has the ability to pull or add fuel +25% to -25%. Anything in between those means the car is doing what its supposed to do. Keeping stoich. If its pegged at -25% or +25% then yes your car is running rich or lean. This is all controlled in the tune. The fuel trims will try to keep the car running at stoich.

My stock stock ZL1 on 93 sits between -15% and -8%. That's not bad. Its just set rich in the tune from the factory. During closed loop, the car runs fine. But in open loop, this is why some can pick up mph by running e30 on a stock car/stock tune. They are able to lean it out safely and pick up HP in open loop(WOT) because the car doesnt use the fuel trims.
That makes sense. It’s just so weird the car sometimes bogs down while idling and still random misfires (according to my scanner it’s across most cylinders). It’s around 20 total for 10 minutes or so. I did that 300 mile driving and went pretty quick on a 8% grade for 6 miles. Also the fuel cleaners didn’t help.
Bmhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:07 PM   #18
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATINSTEEL1LE View Post
Sorry thats not correct. The car has the ability to pull or add fuel +25% to -25%. Anything in between those means the car is doing what its supposed to do. Keeping stoich. If its pegged at -25% or +25% then yes your car is running rich or lean. This is all controlled in the tune. The fuel trims will try to keep the car running at stoich.

My stock stock ZL1 on 93 sits between -15% and -8%. That's not bad. Its just set rich in the tune from the factory. During closed loop, the car runs fine. But in open loop, this is why some can pick up mph by running e30 on a stock car/stock tune. They are able to lean it out safely and pick up HP in open loop(WOT) because the car doesnt use the fuel trims.
It does, but usually, by the time you have more than 10% correction either way, you are having issues. My old Mazda3 had a pretty small vacuum leak and that's able to throw a CEL with about -18% LTFT.

And if we are talking specifically about the Camaro6, these are straight from the service manual. The 3rd column from the left indicates the "expected value".

Now realistically, I don't believe anyone's LTFT will sit right at 0%, but anything within 10% either way is generally fine if you look at most cars' service manuals.

It could be that OP's car just needs to be run hard, but again, I would just double-check everything else before trying the Italian Tune-up.

Usually, small leaks or restrictions will only show up at idle due to the low volume of air flow at idle.
Attached Images

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:26 PM   #19
Bmhenry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech77 View Post
Long term trims at 10% isn’t anything to be concerned about. Also, these aren’t 1988 TPI small blocks, or worse. They are not going to hurt themselves from a little romp down the road and back to clean the plugs. It’s a known deal with these. Run them like they were intended to be run and there won’t be any issues like this.
I cleaned the plugs and fuel injectors which is why I haven’t thought a rump down the road would help, and also I held the car at 3k rpm for several minutes by staying in 5th. But if harder driving is still the common thought to the most probable fix then I’ll make some fun drives to work.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:32 PM   #20
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The good ol' Italian tune-up ... yes it's still a thing.

Though I'd be looking for an air leak of I was running +10% trims consistently
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:35 AM   #21
Bmhenry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
The good ol' Italian tune-up ... yes it's still a thing.

Though I'd be looking for an air leak of I was running +10% trims consistently
It was -10%, and it’s not consistent anymore.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:59 AM   #22
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
A/C on and the load % changes the trims

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 06-22-2022 at 04:01 PM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote