Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-05-2022, 03:38 PM   #1
1LEDude

Drives: 2SS 1LE
High RPM Oil Leak

Hi All,

I am having an issue with a high RPM oil leak under full throttle conditions and thought I would see if anyone else has encountered anything like this as I am running out of ideas. It seems it starts around 4-5000 RPM. Thus far, I have replaced the rear main seal, oil cooler seals and removed and re-sealed the oil pan. The leak seems to start about half way along the sump towards the rear of the car. I am also awaiting delivery of a new dipstick tube o-ring and oil filter adapter seal as well.

Also, The car is a 2018 2SS 1LE if that matters.
1LEDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:06 PM   #2
1LEDude

I will make sure to check it. I’ve dyed the oil and looking for into those results now with a uv light.
Thank you for the suggestion
Old 02-05-2022, 07:55 PM   #3
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
any idea what the crankcase pressure is doing?
Old 02-05-2022, 09:39 PM   #4
1LEDude

I am not sure, that’s a good question. Do you have any suggestions as to how to check? I do have hp tuners and maybe able to data-log oil pressure, I’ll check for that pid.

My uv test shows oil hitting the flywheel and being slung everywhere, the back of the oil filter (the side near the flywheel) has oil but none on the front, the starter is soaked as well. On the passenger side there appears to be only oil on the starter snout and the back side of the oil level sensor. I fear the rear main or rear main housing is the issue. It’s hard to tell whether the oil pan is puking or the rear side of the engine with the tranny attached to the engine.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:56 AM   #5
Joey Soul
The Mechanic

Drives: 1SS M
I had to do the front main seal on my 18 ss last year. These engines build alot of crankcase pressure and the front is a 'low drag' paper thin seal. Mine would blow oil at high rpm only but it was alot that would dump. Then it would be fine at idle. I put in the ls3 front seal. Noticably thicker
BTR 225 w/CNC Heads|JLT intake|Speed Engineering 1"7/8 long tube and mid pipe|LT2 manifold w/95mmTb|Self tuned w/HPtuners|Silvers 2Way coilovers|Hotchkis front sway|Advan AD08R|BMR solid cradle bushings|Recaro SR7| Work ZR10 19"
Joey Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:49 PM   #6
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Try putting a vented oil cap in and see if it still leaks out. They make them with little K&N style filters on them.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:09 PM   #7
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Until you said you had had the pan off and resealed I only saw that only leak when I had really ragged it pretty hard and I found a few oil pan bolts that were loose, took a half turn and since then it's stopped.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 11:36 PM   #8
1LEDude

Thought I would leave a quick update on this, the oil is most definitely coming out of the bell housing. I found dyed oil on the starter snout, on top of the bell housing behind the top vent, on the rearward face of the oil filter but not on the front near the oil cooler and all over what I can see of the flywheel. I’ll have the tranny back out tomorrow night/Saturday morning and hopefully find the culprit, I’ve preemptively ordered a new rear main seal and rear main housing.