Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-08-2022, 04:46 PM   #1
WiggyB

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Breakin Period Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went for a nice ride from Raleigh to Greensboro and took my daughter to lunch (she's in school at UNCG). The ride was calm and smooth but man does the breakin period suck. Took a lot for me not to just get in her 1 time just because. Some young cat in a honda tried me and I just took that blow in stride.

Seems like I'm never going to get to 1500 miles. How did you guys ever fight the urges?
WiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:49 PM   #2
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
Just take it one day at a time… This my second camaro and second break in period but this one is a manual so I am taking my time learning the fundamentals and not paying attention to the miles because I know it was come over time..just take alot of back roads when you can..it will rack up

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:04 PM   #3
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
a friend of mine flogged his new car on the way home, flooring it and such.

he vanished, never to be seen again.

edit: no, he did not buy a delorean.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:08 PM   #4
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I’ve never been easy on the cars we have owned since new except 2. Those 2 were oil eaters believe it or not. And I’m a mechanic so yes I watch my oil levels and such. Especially with the higher performance cars. Just what I have observed of course.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:11 PM   #5
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
I mean, I wouldn't be beating the crap out of it or smacking the Rev limiter but drive the car the way you want it to run. The first 500 is really what it's about, but you can still give it some throttle and run it to 4-5k. Drop the hammer a little bit.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:34 PM   #6
WiggyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
I mean, I wouldn't be beating the crap out of it or smacking the Rev limiter but drive the car the way you want it to run. The first 500 is really what it's about, but you can still give it some throttle and run it to 4-5k. Drop the hammer a little bit.
Yea I'm not even worried about the revin part I can manage the under 4k its the 80mph that gets me. The traffic flow on the highway is at least 85 and old ladies be passing me.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:36 PM   #7
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Redline a day keeps the mechanics away. Drive it like you stole it. Just do your first oil change at 3k or before.

I’ve bounced off the rev limiter in all my cars from the start. No issues in any of the last 5 cars I’ve applied this philosophy to.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:56 PM   #8
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Mine was at the track at 181 miles.....

First all fluid changes by the dealer at 600 miles and it has been WOT since....

Ken
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:20 PM   #9
TruFan1LE

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
After 500 miles I put my foot in it pretty good. Some kid in a WRX thought he was gonna run up on my bumper then fly around me. My 1LE showed him otherwise. I'm at 7700 miles now and have changed oil twice already. Everything is great with the car and it sings when the RPM get to 5K. Good luck.
TruFan1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:41 PM   #10
WiggyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruFan1LE View Post
After 500 miles I put my foot in it pretty good. Some kid in a WRX thought he was gonna run up on my bumper then fly around me. My 1LE showed him otherwise. I'm at 7700 miles now and have changed oil twice already. Everything is great with the car and it sings when the RPM get to 5K. Good luck.
I had the engine rebuilt in my 1981 z28 before I sold it and I took it easy in that one up till 500 miles also. After that like you say I was foot deep in it with no issues so I don't see any difference with this one so we shall see. What I did do was purchase the maintenance warranty with the car so all the fluid changes I can get done at the dealer without coming out of pocket so it will pay off (a nice paper tail if I decide to go ZL1 in the future).
Old 01-08-2022, 08:48 PM   #11
ZeroTwo

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
How's the weather down there right now? Plenty of nice side roads in NC so I'd just take off and start letting them rack up, weather & family permitting.

I hit the interstate a fair bit but tried to avoid settling into any particular RPM. Got off often and explored, that sort of thing. I was tempted to head down to tail of the dragon, haha.
ZeroTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:59 PM   #12
WiggyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTwo View Post
How's the weather down there right now? Plenty of nice side roads in NC so I'd just take off and start letting them rack up, weather & family permitting.

I hit the interstate a fair bit but tried to avoid settling into any particular RPM. Got off often and explored, that sort of thing. I was tempted to head down to tail of the dragon, haha.
It was a lil chilly today but nice and sunny. Perfect day for some driving so I hit 40-85 to Greensboro and back to Raleigh. I think I will head to Charlotte next weekend if the weather is like it was today. Just having a ball with it but I'm ready to stop babying it.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:01 PM   #13
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
OP if it makes you feel better, I just bought a 2022 and I cannot ever start the break-in period until March or April since I am in MN...yes it is killing me also. I always follow it and limit RPM and don't use cruise, change gears RPM often, and do not excessively idle.

does it actually make a difference? IDK, but it is what GM engineers recommend so I do it.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:08 PM   #14
WiggyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
OP if it makes you feel better, I just bought a 2022 and I cannot ever start the break-in period until March or April since I am in MN...yes it is killing me also. I always follow it and limit RPM and don't use cruise, change gears RPM often, and do not excessively idle.

does it actually make a difference? IDK, but it is what GM engineers recommend so I do it.
Damn I guess its not that bad for me then. Sorry for you bro sucks to just see it sitting there. But when you can get in and go you will love every minute of it.