Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-29-2023, 09:32 AM   #1
DavidinTexas
Now in Florida

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Coupe
Exclamation Class Action will be filed 04/28/2023, against GM over 2.0 Turbo LTG engine 2014-2019

If you have the Camaro 1LT and you were affected by TSB 18-NA-355 (Transmission Shutter), TSB PI1178F (Premature piston/rings failure), or TSB 17-NA-039 (Damage from incorrect oil), I am filing a CLass-Action to hold General Motors accountable. While the TSBs are available with some research, "they weren't available for the general public". When you purchase a vehicle, you should have all of the information in order to make an informed decision to purchase or pass. The TSB 18-NA-355 states that General Motors knew about the Transmission Shudder as early as 2015, but only created the TSB in August 2019, "and this shows that General Motors suppressed information and decided to send vehicles to consumers anyway. According to the TSB Cadillac, Camaro, and GMC vehicles were affected. GM was Ordered to Pay $102.6 Million in Class Action Lawsuit surrounding the Vortec LC9 engine. GMT900-platform vehicles built from 2010-2014, like the Chevrolet Silverado, were found to have a faulty piston ring design, leading to significant engine problems. Specifically, the Vortec LC9 5.3-liter V8 used on GMT900 models from 2010 to 2014 is responsible for lawsuits across the country, due to its defective piston rings that allowed oil to travel beyond the crankcase. A Federal class action lawsuit brought on by 38,000 vehicle owners in California, Idaho, and North Carolina alleges that this defect resulted in constantly fouled spark plugs, excessive carbon build-up, and even motor failure due to oil loss. And the plaintiffs have successfully argued their case, with a federal jury verdict ordering the payment of $102.6 million by GM across the 38,000 owners in the class action. That's $2700 per person. Oddly, TSB PI1178F warns Service Technicians about premature Piston and Rings failure. The issues affect vehicles with the 2.0 Turbocharged LTG Engines found in Camaros, Cadillacs, and Malubus placed into circulation from 2014-2018. The TSB demonstrates that General Motors knew about the issues in 2014, but failed to inform consumers until it provided TSB PI1178F to the NTSB - 4 years later. The TSB is a straight-up admission whereas General Motors suppressed information that would have helped consumers to be fully informed at the time of purchase. It also could have provided crucial information to help consumers decline to purchase vehicles with the 2.0 Turbo LTG engine.

I am a consumer with issues created by all 3 of the TSBs mentioned above. I did not cause any of the preexisting problems, and General Motors should be held liable for placing a vehicle on the market with known defects. I have provided a NOTICE OF INTENT TO SUE, today. It is my intention to file a State and Federal Class-Action on April 28th, 2023, if General Motors refuses to play nice. I reached out to the Law Firm that handled the $102 Million dollar verdict, and it looks good. The cases are similar, "the only real difference is the engine size". If you are affected by the issues above, please reach out to me. We will see if your case meets the requirements for a Class Action.

I went back to edit this because it was suggested that I provide the Attorney's Information. The firm is called Lemon Law Attorneys MichiganA Lemon doesn't have to be new. The TSBs demonstrate that General Motors knew about serious issues and sold vehicles with defects to the public anyway. Naturally, each case is different and will need to be reviewed by the legal eagles. I am sending all of my documents to them on Monday, April 3rd you can reach them at (734) 207-3377. Using the information on my thread does not constitute legal advice in any way. Services may/may not be provided, and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. This thread, "my post" is not intended as legal advice, each situation is different, "the issues named above pertain to my experiences with General Motors". Sorry, for the disclosure, "I am not an attorney".

Last edited by DavidinTexas; 04-01-2023 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Adding Attorney Information
DavidinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:34 AM   #2
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Add another one to the list
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:02 AM   #3
Melon

Drives: '23 1LE, '18 Canyon, '87 325i
TSB 18-NA-355 has been resolved with a recall.
My 2018 Canyon had the shudder and the fluid change fixed it.
Melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:07 AM   #4
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon View Post
TSB 18-NA-355 has been resolved with a recall.
My 2018 Canyon had the shudder and the fluid change fixed it.
I had it on my 2016 SS A8. Which I bought in 2018, there was no recall then.

Its part of the reason why I got rid of the car. You'd think the Chevy Dealer I bought the car from would do it as a matter of proper maintenance. They didn't.

I had a different Chevy dealer do the transmission flush thing, I didn't have a problem after that, but I didn't want a potential problem in the future, its why I got rid of that car. And I tell everyone I know not to get the A8 if they want to get one of these cars.

Other people not so lucky that Tranny flush doesn't fix anything if the Torque converter is damaged. Its no longer a tranny flush to fix they have to replace the torque converter as well. And that is where the fight with dealerships start. They don't want to replace the torque converter most of the time.

So that TSB didn't resolve everything for people.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:23 AM   #5
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
I had it on my 2016 SS A8. Which I bought in 2018, there was no recall then.

Its part of the reason why I got rid of the car. You'd think the Chevy Dealer I bought the car from would do it as a matter of proper maintenance. They didn't.

I had a different Chevy dealer do the transmission flush thing, I didn't have a problem after that, but I didn't want a potential problem in the future, its why I got rid of that car. And I tell everyone I know not to get the A8 if they want to get one of these cars.

Other people not so lucky that Tranny flush doesn't fix anything if the Torque converter is damaged. Its no longer a tranny flush to fix they have to replace the torque converter as well. And that is where the fight with dealerships start. They don't want to replace the torque converter most of the time.

So that TSB didn't resolve everything for people.
+1

Definitely not a recall as of now, I had my transmission flush done by a dealer and within the year the shutter came back. Instead of paying a couple hundred for another flush and going into the cycle of paying for flushes/TC (I’m out of powertrain warranty). I had AFM tuned out and haven’t had an issue since.
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:33 AM   #6
len125

Drives: chevrolet camaro
whats the next step then?

had 2017 2.0 4 cylinder camaro with the 8 speed transmission shutter, had to trade the car in for another....that car had two recalls and the transmission shudder....
len125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:50 PM   #7
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinTexas View Post
If you have the Camaro 1LT and you were affected by TSB 18-NA-355 (Transmission Shutter), TSB PI1178F (Premature piston/rings failure), or TSB 17-NA-039 (Damage from incorrect oil), I am filing a CLass-Action to hold General Motors accountable. While the TSBs are available with some research, "they weren't available for the general public". When you purchase a vehicle, you should have all of the information in order to make an informed decision to purchase or pass. The TSB 18-NA-355 states that General Motors knew about the Transmission Shudder as early as 2015, but only created the TSB in August 2019, "and this shows that General Motors suppressed information and decided to send vehicles to consumers anyway. According to the TSB Cadillac, Camaro, and GMC vehicles were affected. GM was Ordered to Pay $102.6 Million in Class Action Lawsuit surrounding the Vortec LC9 engine. GMT900-platform vehicles built from 2010-2014, like the Chevrolet Silverado, were found to have a faulty piston ring design, leading to significant engine problems. Specifically, the Vortec LC9 5.3-liter V8 used on GMT900 models from 2010 to 2014 is responsible for lawsuits across the country, due to its defective piston rings that allowed oil to travel beyond the crankcase. A Federal class action lawsuit brought on by 38,000 vehicle owners in California, Idaho, and North Carolina alleges that this defect resulted in constantly fouled spark plugs, excessive carbon build-up, and even motor failure due to oil loss. And the plaintiffs have successfully argued their case, with a federal jury verdict ordering the payment of $102.6 million by GM across the 38,000 owners in the class action. That's $2700 per person. Oddly, TSB PI1178F warns Service Technicians about premature Piston and Rings failure. The issues affect vehicles with the 2.0 Turbocharged LTG Engines found in Camaros, Cadillacs, and Malubus placed into circulation from 2014-2018. The TSB demonstrates that General Motors knew about the issues in 2014, but failed to inform consumers until it provided TSB PI1178F to the NTSB - 4 years later. The TSB is a straight-up admission whereas General Motors suppressed information that would have helped consumers to be fully informed at the time of purchase. It also could have provided crucial information to help consumers decline to purchase vehicles with the 2.0 Turbo LTG engine.

I am a consumer with issues created by all 3 of the TSBs mentioned above. I did not cause any of the preexisting problems, and General Motors should be held liable for placing a vehicle on the market with known defects. I have provided a NOTICE OF INTENT TO SUE, today. It is my intention to file a State and Federal Class-Action on April 28th, 2023, if General Motors refuses to play nice. I reached out to the Law Firm that handled the $102 Million dollar verdict, and it looks good. The cases are similar, "the only real difference is the engine size". If you are affected by the issues above, please reach out to me. We will see if your case meets the requirements on a Class Action.
Unless you're one of the attorneys filing the case, which is doubtful because you're a plaintiff, you should be providing the law firm's information. Affected individuals should contact them directly, so they can determine if it meets the requirement.

You didn't mention if vehicles with automatic, manual or both transmissions are impacted.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:38 PM   #8
HyperBlue1SS

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue Camaro 1SS
So...your car is modded?

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611733

The car has a GFB Turbo Diverter, Turbosmart 7LB Actuator, Mishimoto Cold Air intake, a Trifecta Tune, and custom exhaust.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611614

More proof of your modifications

I'm assuming you bought your car used and somehow this is all GM's fault? I can understand the A8 shudder (GM dropped the ball on that one) and the other Recalls/ TSB's. I'm not a lawyer (and this is NOT legal advice) but your SOL.

Good luck with your Class Action Lawsuit!
1LE Replicas / Solo Axleback Exhaust/ Street Scene Front Splitter / Diode Dynamics Smoked LED Side Markers / OEM Smoked Tails & Third Brake Light / OEM Illuminated Door Sills / OEM ZL1 Side Skirts / OEM ZL1 Spoiler / OEM Black Badges / GM CAI / Soler Engineering TB/TC / Katzkin Leather / 20% Tint
HyperBlue1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:41 AM   #9
rst08tierney
Account Suspended

Drives: '23 2SS Rapid Blue
who buys a 4 banger camaro anyways? Know we're still fam but family can also keep you in line from bad decision making
rst08tierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:15 AM   #10
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
OP won't be back
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:28 AM   #11
LeonardS

Drives: 1969 Z28,1992 Z28,1994 Z28,1999 SS
The only one’s getting money will be the lawyers.
94 Z28, Black, M6, 595 miles
92 Z28, last car built at Van Nuys Plant, Red, A4, 125 miles www.last1992camaro.com
69 Z28, Dusk Blue, M4
29 Ford Business Coupe
28 Ford Pickup
24 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4
22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
13 Ford F150 Crew Cab 4x4
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:37 AM   #12
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Good luck!
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:46 AM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Perfect. Make another lawyer filthy rich.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:17 PM   #14
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
The best of luck, that's what it is , luck .
GM has the best lawyers, and plenty of them .
As all of the big Corporations . Big business..

Tags
2.0 turbo ltg, camaro, lawsuit, piston, rings