Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 03-07-2023, 12:40 PM   #407
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Note that there is a new part number for rear OEM Ferodo / Brembo SS 1LE brake pads that replaces the part number in post 1: 84732503
cdrptrks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:12 AM   #408
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Note that there is a new part number for rear OEM Ferodo / Brembo SS 1LE brake pads that replaces the part number in post 1: 84732503
Thanks for the info - apprecite it! Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:29 PM   #409
Xyebo

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE | '18 1LS V6 [sold]
I am about to pull a trigger on the SS 1LE with the BCD copper-free system.
What are our options in terms of aftermarket brake rotors?
Xyebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:43 PM   #410
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyebo View Post
I am about to pull a trigger on the SS 1LE with the BCD copper-free system.
What are our options in terms of aftermarket brake rotors?
Howdy, I must admit I am not up to full speed on all this copper free stuff, but I dont think it should affect the rotors any.
I have been replacing mine with stockers, which last a very long time and had been priced well (not sure of the most recent pricing). Hope this helps some. Cheers!
Old 04-05-2023, 08:26 PM   #411
Xyebo

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE | '18 1LS V6 [sold]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Howdy, I must admit I am not up to full speed on all this copper free stuff, but I dont think it should affect the rotors any.
I have been replacing mine with stockers, which last a very long time and had been priced well (not sure of the most recent pricing). Hope this helps some. Cheers!

The brake rotors are larger on the copper-free system, so I doubt the stockers from a "regular" 1LE system would fit.
Xyebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:27 PM   #412
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyebo View Post
The brake rotors are larger on the copper-free system, so I doubt the stockers from a "regular" 1LE system would fit.
Right. I recall the size difference now. So, is there some type of an issue with the larger stockers? Assuming they are the same top quality kit, just larger size, I'd certainly say stick with them.
Unless there is some other reason to go aftermarket?
Old 01-07-2024, 07:19 AM   #413
OneLapWonder

Drives: 2008 Audi RS4
Do the larger rotors preclude being able to use an 18” rim?
2018 Chebby Camaro ZLE HMB
OneLapWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 03:43 PM   #414
KirillWA

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Hey folks,

I've wore my first set of OEM pads on my SS 1LE, as well as stock set of Supercar 3s. I daily drive my Camaro and take it to autoX and road course events. No plans to change brake rotors yet. SRF brake fluid with annual flush. I rarely have brake fade issues and still improve my lap times by correcting obvious mistakes.

Now I'm thinking if I should stick to stock Ferodos, which are relatively cheap on Amazon, or go with something more track-oriented like DS1.11? If I go with track pads, should I upgrade rear pads from stock too? Does anybody use track pads on Camaros driven daily?

Ferodo DS1.11 are sold for $700+ right now, while stock pads on Amazon are less than $300 and it is a known experience to me.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:01 PM   #415
cdrptrks

Note that 2022 and newer model year Camaros came with copper-free brakes in Washington State and California by law which are a different part number front and rear vs. standard SS 1LE brakes. Calipers and rotors and larger. It is option code BCD if you check the sticker. My option code sticker was under the trunk false floor but they might have relocated the sticker since 2017 model year.

I would not recommend running stock rear pads with front track pads. You would probably wear the rears out very quickly likely with extreme taper wear and might experience decreased or odd braking performance.

Most track/race pads wear rotors faster and their minimum operating temperature is quite high so they might not stop well on the street if you need to do emergency braking and they will probably wear rotors even faster when operated below their minimum temperature. Race/track pads also generally make nasty noises on the street that sound like your brake pads have run out.

The EBC SR11 sintered endurance pads (also suitable for track days and HPDE) don't have the high minimum operating temperature issue but they still don't recommend using them in the street, maybe because the dust they put off doesn't comply with environmental regulations. They're advertised as 0.55mu. I got a set of them recently from KNS Brakes but haven't had the chance to try them out yet. I was happy with the stock pads on stock tires for 5 years of track use except that they wore quickly. The SR11 pads look like they will probably reduce my average total brake pad + rotor cost per track day (not to mention less labor because stock pads need to be replaced more frequently) but I can't confirm yet. There's some discussion about it here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615649

Last edited by cdrptrks; 01-31-2024 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:13 PM   #416
RoaringV8

Drives: 2017 HBM Camaro SS 1LE Camaro
Quote:
Note that 2022 and newer model year Camaros came with copper-free brakes in Washington State and California by law which are a different part number front and rear vs. standard SS 1LE brakes. Calipers and rotors and larger. It is option code BCD if you check the sticker. My option code sticker was under the trunk false floor but they might have relocated the sticker since 2017 model year.

I would not recommend running stock rear pads with front track pads. You would probably wear the rears out very quickly likely with extreme taper wear and might experience decreased or odd braking performance.

Most track/race pads wear rotors faster and their minimum operating temperature is quite high so they might not stop well on the street if you need to do emergency braking and they will probably wear rotors even faster when operated below their minimum temperature. Race/track pads also generally make nasty noises on the street that sound like your brake pads have run out.

The EBC SR-11 sintered endurance pads (also suitable for track days and HPDE) don't have the operating temperature issue but they still don't recommend using them in the street, maybe because the dust they put off doesn't comply with environmental regulations. They're advertised as 0.55mu. I got a set of them recently from KNS Brakes but haven't had the chance to try them out yet. I was happy with the stock pads on stock tires for 5 years of track use except that they wore quickly. The SR-11 pads look like they will probably reduce overall brake pad and rotor costs (not to mention less labor changing stock pads frequently) but I can't confirm yet. There's some discussion about it here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615649
My last event last year I switched over to the the EBC SR-11's to replace the Raybestos ST43 pads (since I can't source them) I've been running over the past several years. Very happy with them overall and felt they were very comparable to the ST43's in terms of feel and performance. Actually had less brake dust than the ST43's (not that I care about that at the track, but something I noticed). It's also hard to tell how much they are wearing the rotors with a small sample set (2 track days at a track that's fairly easy on brakes). I was running ST43's in the rear since they last forever.
RoaringV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 04:24 PM   #417
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Not sure when this changed but the later Gen6s have a QR code on the Service Parts ID tag. The QR code will define the RPO codes. My BCD equipped '22 SS 1LE does not call out BCD on the QR's RPO list, but J6H is called out. Recall that J6H is also a ZL1 RPO code. But when the BCD option is equipped on an SS 1LE, J6H is the relevant copper free brake code.

KirillWA, If you have the copper free brakes, the OE pad is a Brembo manufactured pad, not Ferodo. But, if you search Google "copper free brake pads camaro6.com" you will come across a bunch of threads that give some info on non-OE pads for the copper frees. The search function here on the forums is wonky sometimes and just using Google is faster.

For street and track I have personally used the OE copper free Brembo pad, and a variety of the non copper free Ferodo pads (front and rear) spec'd for the Gen6 ZL1. More specifically the OE HP1000, DS2500 and the DS1.11.

Lots more info on this on other threads here on these forums.
Old 01-31-2024, 05:21 PM   #418
cdrptrks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
My BCD equipped '22 SS 1LE does not call out BCD on the QR's RPO list, but J6H is called out. Recall that J6H is also a ZL1 RPO code. But when the BCD option is equipped on an SS 1LE, J6H is the relevant copper free brake code.
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I guess BCD might just be for the window sticker and build sheet.

The front BCD rotors for the SS 1LE are reportedly 398mm instead of 390mm on the ZL1 with normal brakes but the ZL1 front pads do fit into the BCD calipers just leaving a small unswept cold ring on the BCD rotors.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:37 PM   #419
KirillWA

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:

The EBC SR11 sintered endurance pads (also suitable for track days and HPDE) don't have the high minimum operating temperature issue but they still don't recommend using them in the street, maybe because the dust they put off doesn't comply with environmental regulations. They're advertised as 0.55mu. I got a set of them recently from KNS Brakes but haven't had the chance to try them out yet. I was happy with the stock pads on stock tires for 5 years of track use except that they wore quickly. The SR11 pads look like they will probably reduce my average total brake pad + rotor cost per track day (not to mention less labor because stock pads need to be replaced more frequently) but I can't confirm yet. There's some discussion about it here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615649
I bought my Camaro in Colorado, so it has regular non copper-free brakes. Thanks for your advice! I will go with another set of stock pads.