Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-06-2023, 08:21 PM   #1
Rate_of_Twist

Drives: 2022 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO
Choosing a Dealer to Place An Order - Mega Dealer or Medium Dealer?

Getting a pretty good idea of what I am looking for and I think I have narrowed down the dealers Im interested in...

While I know there is not certainty with allocations, what would you do?

Large dealer, #1 Vette dealer in the world. MSRP, $3k Deposit. Sales guy seems to know his shit and he is professional - BUT - the already have a "few" people in front of me for a 1SS 1LE. Quotes generically (I dont blame him) 4-8 months)

OR

Mid size southern dealer, does a 25-35 Camaros a year and a few Vettes. Really specializes in trucks. Dealer is a client of mine and I know them reasonably well. No deposit, no wait list, no worse than MSRP and will likely do slightly better (nothing major, more of just a good will offering) - BUT - they haven't seen a 1LE allocation in 10 months and would also require a plane trip down there and a 900 mile drive home (not the end of the world depending on the time of the year)

Which would you choose if you were to place an order?
Rate_of_Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:37 PM   #2
Geese1

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE - 2023 Mazda3 Turbo
Why don't you put an order in at both? Since only one requires a deposit, you won't be out anything additional by placing the order at both places. That way, you increase your chances of getting the car you want in a somewhat timely manner. Just go with whichever one is able to get the order accepted first, and at that point you can cancel the other order.

A lot of us put in orders at multiple dealerships for exactly this reason. Unless you're required to put a deposit down for each order, there's no reason not to.

4/15/22 - #1100
4/19/22 - #2000
4/22/22 - #3000
4/26/22 - #3000 - TPW 5/23
5/12/22 - #3400 - TPW 5/23
6/18/22 - #4300
7/25/22 - #6000 - Took delivery
5/28/23 - hit 1,500 miles - break-in officially over!
Geese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 01:57 PM   #3
vj123

Drives: 2023 ZL1
I would place the order with both dealers and see who gives you an allocation first.
vj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 02:12 PM   #4
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Beyond an allocation you have to be more concerned with how many orders that dealer actually has in front of yours. When I ordered my build sheet with the order number on it had a "priority" and a "15" there. I asked here and there and all said that was how many ZL1's the dealer had in front on mine. I had a 22 on order and never got it with that "15" i was something like 200+ days with no allocation.

We rolled over to a 23 when those opened up and took delivery 30 August. I'd be more concerned with that number than the allocations they get. Or don't get.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:46 PM   #5
jollymon

Drives: '23 RRT 2SS 1LE M6, '15 SIM 1LS M6
Assuming you are referring to MacMulkin? I an going thru them for my 1LE order and they also wouldn't say how many people ahead, etc. but, back in Sept, told me they had HIGH confidence they would land my car (see sig) and also quoted 4-8months. Sure enough, looks like 6-ish months for car as-ordered.

So far, I'm happy with the professionalism and results from them.

The deposit is refundable up until the order is accepted (2000) and they will contact you to confirm before hitting the button when your number comes up. So as long as you pay attention and don't hit some crazy race-condition between multiple dealer orders and allocations/accepted probably can pull it off?

2015 SIM 1LS M6 - fun DD commute car
2023 RRT 2SS 1LE M6 w/PDR - FUN!!
jollymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:21 AM   #6
Rate_of_Twist

Drives: 2022 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymon View Post
Assuming you are referring to MacMulkin? I an going thru them for my 1LE order and they also wouldn't say how many people ahead, etc. but, back in Sept, told me they had HIGH confidence they would land my car (see sig) and also quoted 4-8months. Sure enough, looks like 6-ish months for car as-ordered.

So far, I'm happy with the professionalism and results from them.

The deposit is refundable up until the order is accepted (2000) and they will contact you to confirm before hitting the button when your number comes up. So as long as you pay attention and don't hit some crazy race-condition between multiple dealer orders and allocations/accepted probably can pull it off?
Yes, MacMulkin. Was you deposit $2k? Mind sharing who you worked with? (Pm is fine if you prefer)

I guess the main point of my thought or question is does a mega dealer with a waiting list, and therefore a huge number of cars sold, likely equate to a higher level of getting the car I want?

In hindsight, there is no way of answering this.

What I don’t want to do is place a half dozen orders all over the place, as in my mind, I am then taking up a spit on a list from someone else.
Rate_of_Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:39 AM   #7
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
My advice is to get on as many lists that you can. I know that's not always possible as some dealers require a deposit just to get on their list.

What I do, is ask for a deposit when we get the allocation. I think it's absurd to take a deposit on something that we may never get or something that will take up to a year to get. So, I don't require anything other than name, address and phone number to get on our list. When I get an allocation, I go down the list and see if I can fill any of the orders on there.

If you're limiting yourself to one dealer's list, you're taking a chance of not getting a car before they stop production.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:08 AM   #8
jollymon

Drives: '23 RRT 2SS 1LE M6, '15 SIM 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rate_of_Twist View Post
Yes, MacMulkin. Was you deposit $2k? Mind sharing who you worked with? (Pm is fine if you prefer)

I guess the main point of my thought or question is does a mega dealer with a waiting list, and therefore a huge number of cars sold, likely equate to a higher level of getting the car I want?

In hindsight, there is no way of answering this.

What I don’t want to do is place a half dozen orders all over the place, as in my mind, I am then taking up a spit on a list from someone else.
PMed you

Good luck on getting your car!

2015 SIM 1LS M6 - fun DD commute car
2023 RRT 2SS 1LE M6 w/PDR - FUN!!
jollymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:16 PM   #9
Geese1

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE - 2023 Mazda3 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
My advice is to get on as many lists that you can. I know that's not always possible as some dealers require a deposit just to get on their list.

What I do, is ask for a deposit when we get the allocation. I think it's absurd to take a deposit on something that we may never get or something that will take up to a year to get. So, I don't require anything other than name, address and phone number to get on our list. When I get an allocation, I go down the list and see if I can fill any of the orders on there.

If you're limiting yourself to one dealer's list, you're taking a chance of not getting a car before they stop production.
This is how the dealer I ultimately ended up buying from did it. My local dealer (who I've bought many, many cars from) didn't ask for any deposit, but they never got an allocation either. When I started calling around, many dealers weren't sure when they would get an allocation, but took my name and number and promised to give me a call if they did get one. None asked for a deposit.

Fast forward a few months, and one of those dealers called me up to say they were getting an allocation and wanted to know if I was still in the market. Said I was, and went down the next day to officially put the order in with them. It was at that point that I actually put down a deposit on the car (only $500 as well).

4/15/22 - #1100
4/19/22 - #2000
4/22/22 - #3000
4/26/22 - #3000 - TPW 5/23
5/12/22 - #3400 - TPW 5/23
6/18/22 - #4300
7/25/22 - #6000 - Took delivery
5/28/23 - hit 1,500 miles - break-in officially over!
Geese1 is offline   Reply With Quote