Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-14-2020, 07:10 AM   #1
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Coolant level

Posted this about coolant levels on the maintenance forum with no response.

According to the manual 'Check to see if coolant is visible in the coolant surge tank . . . If coolant is visible but the coolant level is not at or above the COLD FILL line, add a 50/50 mixture of clean drinkable water and DEX-COOL coolant.'

So with the engine cold on my car, the top chamber is filled just about to the top, above the COLD FILL line. The bottom chamber has very little in it, maybe 3/4", and I don't see any fill line. Is this normal? I've read some places that the bottom chamber should be half full, but reading the manual multiple times it seems like maybe I don't worry about the lower chamber unless the top chamber isn't full? The instructions given to add coolant look like they are for either if the coolant is visible but not at or above the COLD FILL line, or if there is no coolant is visible in the coolant surge tank.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:24 AM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
The way I read the manual and interpret the diagrams is that I should keep the upper tank completely full and the surge/overflow (lower tank) filled half way. A couple of years go the surge tank on mine was dry. I added coolant per the manual and have been good ever since.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
Sweptwing

Drives: 2017 2LT RS V6 M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Posted this about coolant levels on the maintenance forum with no response.

According to the manual 'Check to see if coolant is visible in the coolant surge tank . . . If coolant is visible but the coolant level is not at or above the COLD FILL line, add a 50/50 mixture of clean drinkable water and DEX-COOL coolant.'

So with the engine cold on my car, the top chamber is filled just about to the top, above the COLD FILL line. The bottom chamber has very little in it, maybe 3/4", and I don't see any fill line. Is this normal? I've read some places that the bottom chamber should be half full, but reading the manual multiple times it seems like maybe I don't worry about the lower chamber unless the top chamber isn't full? The instructions given to add coolant look like they are for either if the coolant is visible but not at or above the COLD FILL line, or if there is no coolant is visible in the coolant surge tank.
This is correct. The upper tank must always be full 100% of the time. The bottom tank is the one you add fluid to to keep it between the marks (~ 1/2 full) which of course are hard to see.

Great design from an engineering standpoint to ensure there's no air in the loop, but horrible from a owner/maintenance standpoint.

This manual page shows the purge procedure as well as a good graphic of what the two tanks should look like under normal conditions (hot or cold).
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #4
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
The way I read the manual and interpret the diagrams is that I should keep the upper tank completely full and the surge/overflow (lower tank) filled half way. A couple of years go the surge tank on mine was dry. I added coolant per the manual and have been good ever since.
This is what I recall as well.

Allez, read through that section of the owners manual. It goes into good detail and spells out exactly the procedure for adding coolant. I believe the bottom tank also has a cold fill line if you look closely.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
This recent thread had much to offer on the same topic:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574138
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #6
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
8-)

Last edited by MackSteelPrivateEye; 05-14-2020 at 01:07 PM. Reason: f
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
Allez

Thanks everyone. I've read through that section of the manual several times; what confused me was that the only part where is says to add coolant to the bottom reservoir is when the top reservoir is dry (at least the way I was reading it). Maybe I was being too literal. Anyway, it's easy enough to add to the lower one, although my old eyes can't make out a fill line there.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
acniv

Drives: Chev Camaro
Just refilled mine after replacing the cooling fan, filled the top to the mark and bottom half way. Started the car, let the thermostat open, topped off the top tank, all good. used dexcool 50/50 premix from Peak I think was the brand.
acniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #9
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
I always wondered why GM put a tiny funnel in a bag in my trunk. Turns out that little funnel fits perfect in the hole for the second coolant tank
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:48 AM   #10
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Thanks everyone. I've read through that section of the manual several times; what confused me was that the only part where is says to add coolant to the bottom reservoir is when the top reservoir is dry (at least the way I was reading it). Maybe I was being too literal. Anyway, it's easy enough to add to the lower one, although my old eyes can't make out a fill line there.
I filled up mine a little bit, used up 300 mL(10 oz for Americans) of the mixture. My measuring cup made filling the bottom surge tank pretty easy. I just bought some AC Delco DEX-COOL, though I'd imagine anything DEX-COOL is fine. Colour will be a little different, factory fill is pink while coolant from botttles are orange.

As for the fill line for the bottom tank, if you look close enough, there should be a pinch in the plastic on the bottom tank near the halfway point, which you can use as a reference when filling up.
Attached Images

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #11
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Beast View Post
I always wondered why GM put a tiny funnel in a bag in my trunk. Turns out that little funnel fits perfect in the hole for the second coolant tank
That's for putting gas in the tank with a gas can. Capless system has a second sealing plate that needs to be pushed open by the small funnel.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #12
Allez

My DEX-COOL 50-50 arrives tomorrow, so will add it this weekend.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:21 PM   #13
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
Well I'll keep using it for the coolant tank. Ive never run out of gas in my 36 years of driving.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:15 PM   #14
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Beast View Post
Well I'll keep using it for the coolant tank. Ive never run out of gas in my 36 years of driving.
Exactly - that's a good use for it!

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote