Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #43
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
A 20 or 30 minute HPDE session will build a lot more heat than "occasional performance driving" that isn't track time. The second and following sessions will likely start out with the fluid still warmed from the earlier session(s).

There is some possibility of automated up- or downshifts occurring at unexpected moments, which will have some effect on rear tire cornering grip and slip angle. Having to drive to avoid such occurrences represents a distraction.

Maintaining AT fluid temperatures at or below 200° at a track day sounds like wishful thinking to me . . .

Norm
Randy Pobst did not experience unexpected shifts during his laps in the ZO6 A8. The temps definitely got hot and I believe he did manage to get it to go in limp mode due to the temps but never once reported it acted crazy. To me that shows the strength of the unit but yes heat is definite factor. I think aftermarket cooling should be able to make a big dent in the track day heat issue, at least for the average 30-45min session most will have.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #44
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Randy Pobst did not experience unexpected shifts during his laps in the ZO6 A8. The temps definitely got hot and I believe he did manage to get it to go in limp mode due to the temps but never once reported it acted crazy. To me that shows the strength of the unit but yes heat is definite factor. I think aftermarket cooling should be able to make a big dent in the track day heat issue, at least for the average 30-45min session most will have.
If the automatics get too hot they go into limp mode retarding the timing and reducing power. It does not seem to have any real effect on shifting.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #45
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
One word: Rev-Match
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #46
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
6M vs 8A

I'd rather run the piss out of a manual six than drive an auto 8. Unless I'm in my Tahoe
Old 06-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #47
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
I'd rather run the piss out of a manual six than drive an auto 8. Unless I'm in my Tahoe
What he said ^^^

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #48
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan454 View Post
Thank you OP for referring to these cars as pony cars. The term "muscle car" is so over used and does not apply to camaro and mustangs.
One of my pet peeves : )
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #49
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
A 20 or 30 minute HPDE session will build a lot more heat than "occasional performance driving" that isn't track time. The second and following sessions will likely start out with the fluid still warmed from the earlier session(s).

There is some possibility of automated up- or downshifts occurring at unexpected moments, which will have some effect on rear tire cornering grip and slip angle. Having to drive to avoid such occurrences represents a distraction.

Maintaining AT fluid temperatures at or below 200° at a track day sounds like wishful thinking to me . . .

Norm
For a multiple lap event I'm sure even with a aftermarket cooler it would exceed 200* but I think anything under 240* would be okay. I was just showing what my personal temps are with a auxiliary cooler. Now that I think about it I don't think I have ever seen past 190* on a 110* day stuck in a heavy traffic jam or even that time I was at the strip hot lapping my car in 85* degrees. Mine was not even that big nor did it have its own fan. I'm sure the aftermarket could make a trans cooler for the 6th gen SS that could keep trans temps below 240* for track days.

I would also like to point out ALL Z51 8L90 Corvettes are getting a better trans cooler for the 2016 MY. GM obviously saw the issue and is trying to correct it. Maybe the same level of cooling will be used for the performance pack option SS with auto trans. Although even then I am sure the aftermarket will build a better cooler.

Bottom line if you really want a auto 6th gen and are going to track it don't let the Vette overheating issue deter you.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #50
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Porsche is adding back a manual option to the 911 GT3 - YES!
Old 06-10-2015, 06:39 PM   #51
rimhof

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I prefer a standard but they both have their advantages. A standard is typically better if you are road racing but an automatic is better at being more consistent in 1/4 mile. I will always buy the standard if I have the option in a car like the Camaro unless I was looking to bracket race my car at the strip, but that is just my preference.
rimhof is offline   Reply With Quote