Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 03-13-2021, 02:33 PM   #141
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
And I will smile every time I step on the gas pedal. Will you?

My oil stocks are covering the miles per gallon part anyway, and I am getting very good smiles per gallon.

Never mind then, it is Florida so anything goes. I'd be scared to drive there.

The only trouble is that most bike lanes become paperweights in winter where it rains or snows too mcuh to be practical for most people(unless you live in Cali, I guess).

We have quite a lot of them in the city which is alright. It's far better than a cyclist blocking cars and getting road rage, but I do wish there is a way to utilize them better depending on the season.
I sure will be a happy pappy now since Gas keeps going up. I never really got to get on it much as it is. Kinda like having sex and just stopping.

FL in my area is not set up for bikes. The Tampa area is bad.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:54 PM   #142
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
where would the world be without kneejerk reactions that cost real money?

with that being asked - i've been purposely driving around for no reason, trying to burn gas out of the car so i can put ethanol back in it.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:38 PM   #143
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
When it gets $5+gal i will be LOL everytime i pass a gas station. They can stick it to ya all they want but not me.
Yeah, now you can start paying pantload more for electricity and adding to the pollution problem because all of that electric is generated with fossil fuels.... like COAL.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:51 PM   #144
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Yeah, now you can start paying pantload more for electricity and adding to the pollution problem because all of that electric is generated with fossil fuels.... like COAL.
Can you imagine the lines at electric stations. Especially busy ones... Takes no more then 5min to fill a car with gas, electric not so much. There’s a LOT that needs to be figured out before electric becomes mainstream. 50 years maybe, the next 10-15? No way.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:06 PM   #145
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Well we'll all be in that same boat so it doesn't matter.

Plus the biggest difference is that the fssil fuels used will be limited to companies and not for every day use by billions of people. Plus there are also other ways of generating power without relying heavily on fossil fuels. I'm sure it won't be as drastic as you think it will be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post
Can you imagine the lines at electric stations. Especially busy ones... Takes no more then 5min to fill a car with gas, electric not so much. There’s a LOT that needs to be figured out before electric becomes mainstream. 50 years maybe, the next 10-15? No way.
Most likely not since there will be charging stations in many different locations and not limited to specific spots like gas stations are. I'm sure there will even be charging stations along major highways. Also there will be charge packs that you can use...kinda like a portable battery for emergency use. And you'll probably even be able to plug it in to the car so it can stay charged while you're driving. It isn't as doom and gloom as you think it will be.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:10 PM   #146
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
The main problem was i just don't drive anywhere to really enjoy the car. 4 miles to work and 4 miles back and one 4 mile trip to the store each week and that is it. Car only saw the highway once. I am in a area with red lights every 200 feet and 30 to 45mph speed zones. US19 is the worst road in the country for wrecks.

The new Bolt was 26.5k with 0% and they gave me 31.5k for the LT1.

I know what you mean about all the stoplights in pasco County. Just not a fun place to drive a muscle car and let it loose unless you're in the more rural eastern part of the county.

Wouldn't shock me around US19 because of all the druggies and pill heads around 19 doped up. That area is a real dump in New Port Richey. I never go around there when I'm up there. White trash.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:16 AM   #147
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Most likely not since there will be charging stations in many different locations and not limited to specific spots like gas stations are. I'm sure there will even be charging stations along major highways. Also there will be charge packs that you can use...kinda like a portable battery for emergency use. And you'll probably even be able to plug it in to the car so it can stay charged while you're driving. It isn't as doom and gloom as you think it will be.
I don’t see it as doom and gloom, I welcome electric cars. I think the tech is cool... all I’m saying is the doom and gloom around “ICE cars” being illegal in 10-15 years is unfounded. There’s no way that will happen. There’s electric infrastructure issues, battery mfg issues, public acceptance, and unless the govt gives 1/3 of Americans a free electric car (lower income) gas cars are going to be around for quite a while.

I wish E85 would have done better, I think a mix of electric/e85 cars would be an outstanding solution... 🤷*♂️. Electric for your DD, E85 for your long distance haulers and/or trucks. It’ll be interesting for sure.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:31 AM   #148
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
I don’t see it as doom and gloom, I welcome electric cars. I think the tech is cool... all I’m saying is the doom and gloom around “ICE cars” being illegal in 10-15 years is unfounded. There’s no way that will happen. There’s electric infrastructure issues, battery mfg issues, public acceptance, and unless the govt gives 1/3 of Americans a free electric car (lower income) gas cars are going to be around for quite a while.

I wish E85 would have done better, I think a mix of electric/e85 cars would be an outstanding solution... 🤷*♂️. Electric for your DD, E85 for your long distance haulers and/or trucks. It’ll be interesting for sure.
E85 has its advantages, but it also has a lot of disadvantages. Moving to E85 in a more widespread fashion would have effectively required replacing every small engine item out there (snowblowers, mowers, trimmers, saws, etc.) and a lot of powersports equipment in order to be able to move to E85 as the standard.

I still want to know why we have never seen diesel-electric cars. Diesel engines in vehicles are common enough, but the ideal situation for a diesel is to be tuned to run at one very specific RPM. Max efficiency and reduced emissions while putting out a solid stream of electrical energy that could be used to direct power motors as well as charge battery packs. With the "stop-start" tech used in gasoline engines, the diesels could be configured to do the same and come on when the battery pack dropped below a certain charge level to charge back up and direct-power the motors. This is how train locomotives have been operating for years...
Old 03-18-2021, 06:34 AM   #149
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Name:  tesla.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  43.2 KB

Old 03-18-2021, 06:40 AM   #150
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Literal lol... Love it!

The funny thing is, that pic actually shows you something that many people that press the advantages of electric cars fail to acknowledge... There's pollution being created somewhere to generate that electricity. Just because you're abstracted from it doesn't mean you aren't directly causing it.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:08 AM   #151
Bob RS

Drives: 2019 Camaro RS 1LT
The saddest thing about what the EPA is doing is what is not now but 10 years down the line when most manufacturers are producing electric vehicles. The Government and EPA have no idea how many people there affecting or the loss of American jobs and Companies and I truly believe it's the pressure from the cancel culture and their agenda.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #152
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I’ll never understand why people buy cars that burn a lot of fuel when gas prices are low. Throughout history it always goes up and down. Do people not realize this? I buy my muscle cars knowing 93 will cost me just under $4.00 a gallon where I live at some point again. I am okay with that because I didn’t buy the car BARELY being able to afford it in the first place. I think that’s the main issue when gas goes up and people sell their trucks, suvs and sports cars. They couldn’t afford them in the first place. If a yearly fuel cost rise of $1,500 forces you to sell the car, you shouldn’t have bought it in the first place.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:24 PM   #153
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
I don’t see it as doom and gloom, I welcome electric cars. I think the tech is cool... all I’m saying is the doom and gloom around “ICE cars” being illegal in 10-15 years is unfounded. There’s no way that will happen.
I am sure it will.

Quote:
There’s electric infrastructure issues,
Not that big of an issue. In fact it might be more accessible than gas stations are.

Quote:
battery mfg issues,
Not a big issue. They will be made as the vehicles are produced. It's not like they're making tons of these vehicles and waiting to make the batteries for them. The batteries are being produced at the same time. There will be plenty.
Quote:
public acceptance,
Not an issue as the majority of the public is accepting...besides those with political agendas, monetary agendas (huge profits from oil), and a percentage of the car enthusiast community. But not for nothing, most people will welcome the change especially if they start pumping out cool new cars and new designs with cool features and options at an affordable buy in.

Quote:
and unless the govt gives 1/3 of Americans a free electric car (lower income) gas cars are going to be around for quite a while.
How many cars do you see from 2005? Well that was 15-16 years ago. Most likely there will be incentives and discounts and such for people to switch over. Plus, in 15 years from now, the current electric cars will all be occupying the used car market. So even if people can't afford a brand new 2035 Hyundai ElectroPulse (random name) in 2035, they'll be able to afford a then used (2025) electric car which will be 10 years old at that time and priced very affordable.

I do not think there is any logical argument to ward off these changes. It can be done. it can be accessible and affordable and I do not see anyone revolting. I mean look at it right now. Right now you will see more electric cars on the road than performance cars. All manufacturers will likely be obligated to offer at least one fully electric model soon. Or they will get huge incentives and bonuses to do so. And if you think for one minute that GM and Ford will hold out, lol, you have another thing coming. Ford took advantage of all those incentives surrounding the EcoBoost engines. They pushed them cars and trucks like you wouldn't believe. And they sold them like hotcakes. I remember in 2015 and 2016 the dealerships out here had to use a separate
lot for the EB Mustangs because they were outselling the GTs like 4 to 1. And GM will do the same.

Last edited by BlaqWhole; 03-18-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:47 PM   #154
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I do not think there is any logical argument to ward off these changes. It can be done. it can be accessible and affordable and I do not see anyone revolting. I mean look at it right now. Right now you will see more electric cars on the road than performance cars. All manufacturers will likely be obligated to offer at least one fully electric model soon. Or they will get huge incentives and bonuses to do so. And if you think for one minute that GM and Ford will hold out, lol, you have another thing coming. Ford took advantage of all those incentives surrounding the EcoBoost engines. They pushed them cars and trucks like you wouldn't believe. And they sold them like hotcakes. I remember in 2015 and 2016 the dealerships out here had to use a separate
lot for the EB Mustangs because they were outselling the GTs like 4 to 1. And GM will do the same.
One thing that could throw a bit of a curveball at your rationale is battery and electric motor longevity (right now, it seems more so that it will be focused on the batteries). People are shocked at the cost of a engine swap, but battery pack replacements make national headlines. Imagine if you had to replace your gas tank every five years because it stopped holding fuel, and it cost anywhere from 30-50% of what a whole new car cost?

On the electric motor front, there's something that most don't think about... When the car is stopped, and there's no current flowing, the motor is "off". Putting the car into motion puts a heavy start-up strain on the motor and is when the most wear and tear / damage is caused. There is little wear being created while the motor is spinning. We're likely to start seeing start/stop cycles on the motors being logged and becoming as much of an indicator of wear as mileage is.

Yes, some of that will be addressed through improved designs, advancements in battery technology, and lower cost through larger production. But, it's simply going to take time, and I personally believe that 10-15 years is only going to get us to the point of large-scale adoption which will drive (no pun intended) larger scale production and advancements to address the gaps (many of which we haven't even found yet simply because there are not enough aggregate miles logged on electric vehicles).

Closed Thread