Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
sngoodwin

Drives: 1989 Iroc-Z
2002 Camaro Z28 New Wheels and Tires need info

Hello!
I just recently purchased a 2002 Z28, it currently has 16inch rims, which in my opinion need to go!

I have read all through the forums and found I can go 17 or 18 inches. What I do not know or couldn't find is how wide will fit for this vehicle without creating a problem. I see that the ones on the car are 8, and the 17" ones that come on the SS are 9. I would like to know what options I have available to me for my new wheels in terms of width.

Also, does anyone have any reason why I should not go to 18's or why 17's would be a better choice or vica versa.

Lastly, any tires you suggest for the 17's, 18's with good ride, low road noise and okay for all weather. I will have a light winter in Joplin MO.

Thanks for all the info.
sngoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
What you need to watch is the tire diameter. Typically, for each 1" increase in wheel size, you drop 10 in the sidewall. For example: 15" with 215 65 > 16" with 215 55 > 17 with 215 45 etc.

Decreasing the sidewall height typically improves handling (less sidewall flex), but makes the car ride stiffer (again less sidewall flex). It's a matter of personal preference, both for looks and feel, what size you use.

As for width, that is limited by the physical characteristics of the car. You should be able to use whatever the largest size is on any model, as there is seldom any difference between models that affect tire clearance. In this case, that would be the SS wheels. So for shopping around, simply reference an SS of the same year and you can get an idea of what's available.

As for tire preference, it boils down to how the car will be used. If it's a DD, then pretty much any tire will do. You won't find huge differences in performance for everyday driving of similarly marketed tires.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote