Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

View Poll Results: To 1LE or not to 1LE
I bought a 1LE and sorta wish I had bought a non-1LE 4 14.29%
I bought a non-1LE and sorta wish I had bought a 1LE 24 85.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #15
Tayley1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
I can't participate! I bought a 1LE and very glad I did. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Tayley1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #16
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I like the look of the 1LE but even if I went M6 (my original plan), would have just got the 1SS b/c:

1-I'd never track/autox the car. Only use on the street.
2-The additional $6K just wasn't worth it to me since it's the same engine/transmission/hp.
3-I wanted be low $30s for an SS new (and got that), not around $40k, which was the lowest 1LE I could find anywhere within 500mi of me.

Since I ended up liking the A10 so much, made the decision easier of course. Have zero regrets and would get my A10 1SS again tomorrow if given the choice.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #17
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I have owned a '16 M6 SS and a 2018 A10 ZL1 which is really just mostly a SS 1LE with a supercharger.

Food for thought:

If tracking is your thing just stop here and go buy a SS 1LE, if not continue....

SS 1LE Plusses compared to a base SS
  • It is one of the best handling cars in the world and a very advanced car on a race track
  • And for all that it is also not a bad long distance cruiser, the Recaros are really comfortable
  • Mag ride is included
  • Great front brakes with less fade on a race track.
  • Okay Track tires included
  • It has more cred than the SS in most Camaro die hard opinions and other track lovers greatly respect it
  • It is more visually stimulating with the black hood wrap than a standard SS
  • The only way to get a HUD in a 1SS
  • If you track you will love the ELSD which will make you appear to be a better driver than you are. You will not notice any difference on the street.
  • You will get more people asking about your car than a standard SS

SS 1LE Negatives compared a base SS
  • It is $7,000(-1,695 for Mag Ride) more expensive than a standard SS, Both depreciate very rapidly. That 5K difference will evaporate over time.
  • It is heavier than an SS
  • It is slower in the 1/4 than a similar transmission SS
  • You cannot drive on the stock tires in cold weather
  • Slightly worse ride than the SS, but only a little
  • More complexity in what already is a very complex car (Is the 1LE a long term keeper?)
  • You will get more people asking about your car than a standard SS

Base SS Plusses compared to a SS 1LE
  • Out of the box it is a very good track car. But more focused tires can help speed things up
  • It is one of the best handling cars in the world, just not quite as good as the 1LE at the limits on a race track. As a point of comparison, even on worse tires the newer SS tracks faster that the last gen SS 1LE with = driver
  • It is lighter and faster in the 1/4 than the current SS 1LE
  • It has all the 1LE track cooling
  • Great front brakes that have the same stopping power as the 1LE but is more fade prone on a race track.
  • Cheaper tire replacement

Base SS Negatives compared a SS 1LE
  • You will see lots of other SSes as opposed to the much rarer 1LE
  • Is not the best choice for a Track animal, but most do not understand just how tracky the SS is stock.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #18
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Bought a 1le , daily drove it and love it !
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #19
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I had purchased a 2016 Camaro SS A8 initially. I knew of the prior 1LE's and always wanted a 5th Gen variant when I still had my 2014 Camaro. I didn't know if GM would continue on with that performance trim in the 6th Gen. When the 1LE was announced and it's performance metrics were shown off, I was thoroughly impressed and very disappointed that I didn't wait. I ended up trading that car in for a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE. By far my most favorite Camaro and likely my last.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #20
Pillow

Drives: Chevy C10 and Cadillac Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
3. Fake suede can be cleaned. IDK why this is such a big deal to some, just clean it?
I have wondered the same thing. Years ago I had a CTS-V and had no issues with the alcantera stuffs... But I don't eat in the car either! LOL

Quote:
Is not the best choice for a Track animal, but most do not understand just how tracky the SS is stock.
THIS! The normal 1SS or LT1 would be soooo good as it is!

It is great feedback so far! Very insightful on the daily differentiators.
'79 Porsche 911 SC
'48 Spartan Mansion 30' travel trailer
'10 Porsche Cayenne S - Daily
'10 Cadillac Escalade ESV - 202k - Wifes ride
'07 Audi A4 3.2 6M - Sons ride
'06 Volvo XC70 - Daughters ride
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #21
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
IMO the biggest thing holding the 1LE back as a dd is the tires + fuel economy, tires can be changed. I run Michelin Pilot Alpin in the winter, 265 square, and the car is so different... softer ride, tracks straight over bumps and cracks, tire noise nearly gone.

If you have a long commute though you're better off with a small car that gets good fuel economy. You can even pay a lease on an econo car with the money you save on gas in many cases, between that and the miles saved on a nicer car it's worth considering. Most commutes aren't the fun kind of driving anyways.

And, if you go in to the dealer wanting to buy a SS 1LE and lease a Sonic you might get a better deal.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #22
Ventura 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
This is my 2nd 1LE SS. The other was the Gen 5 version. Did my homework and wanted to track a car on occasions and the 1LE is the prefect fit.. However with that being said my daily driver is a SUV and it works out.

If this was my daily then no way.. too much of an hassle.. long doors ...expensive tires/brake combo..

Could not beat the price/performance ratio and justification that 1LE SS offers vs other package options..
Ventura 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #23
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Agreed the SS 1LE is uncomfortably stiff if you are driving on uneven or poorly maintained streets even in touring suspension mode, but it can be done. The underside of the front splitter scrapes on steep entrances and exits but it is attached to the bumper very securely. Also not the most pleasant to drive in bumper to bumper traffic due to the manual transmission. But if you plan to track the car it is worth it!
Actually the car isn't stiff at all, especially in comfort mode. The springs are actually pretty softly sprung because of how firm the MRC shocks can go.

Try comparing the 1LE by the amount of dip the front dips down when going over a speed bump. Hell, my GF's Mazda CX5 has less dip in it when going over a speed bump even compared to my car in track mode.

What makes the 1LE appear stiff are the sway bars which cross talk when going over uneven bumps.

The SS 1LE with MRC is the most smooth riding performance car I have even owned that has the capabilities that it has. 120MPH feels just as smooth and solid as 60MPH. That is a hard feat to achieve with non-MRC shocks. You either can have one or the other, but not both. I had Ohlin coilovers on my M3 and the handling was amazing, but you paid a big ride quality penalty for it and if you hit a large bump as 120MPH, you would be out of your seat and your head into the roof liner.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #24
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
I have wondered the same thing. Years ago I had a CTS-V and had no issues with the alcantera stuffs... But I don't eat in the car either! LOL

THIS! The normal 1SS or LT1 would be soooo good as it is!

It is great feedback so far! Very insightful on the daily differentiators.
3.) I HATE the feel of alcantara on my bare skin. However, I wasn't going to keep that from my loving the handling of the 1LE.

That is an easy one to fix. I bought a 2SS leather steering wheel and shifter, swapped them out and sold the alcantara pieces on the forum, I almost came out even.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 09-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #25
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
It would seem a lot of folks posting here have never driven or owned a 1LE much less a 2SS 1LE. I drive mine to work and back three or more days a week and enjoy the hell out of it, the only thing I changed was swapping out the Goodyear Supercar's for PS4S's. Nothing upsets the suspension on this car and it handles and rides better than anything I've owned. In 12K miles I have never scraped anything and I drive up steep driveways and speed bumps daily and also enjoy the heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheel.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #26
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
It would seem a lot of folks posting here have never driven or owned a 1LE much less a 2SS 1LE. I drive mine to work and back three or more days a week and enjoy the hell out of it, the only thing I changed was swapping out the Goodyear Supercar's for PS4S's. Nothing upsets the suspension on this car and it handles and rides better than anything I've owned. In 12K miles I have never scraped anything and I drive up steep driveways and speed bumps daily and also enjoy the heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheel.
AGREE!!

I never scrape either. This isn't a race car (well it kinda is but...) with a race car front spoiler. I clear all parking lot concrete blocks and driveways that are normal (just don't come into then fast and brake hard). I believe it's required by law that the front spoiler not be below a certain distance from the ground.

I average about 16k miles a year and budget 1 full set every 6 mths and that is with a track alignment and on the stock GY tires. Works out perfect for me. Mine is a daily and I LOVE IT TO DEATH. It would take a Porsche GT3 or GT4 to get me out of this car right now. realistically, I see it being replaced with a C8 Grand Sport version in about 3-4 years.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 09-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #27
camaroras

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Mine has been my daily driver for the past year and a half, ~18k miles, and I absolutely love it. However, if my past cars are any indication, I like some level of "impracticality" in my daily driver to keep things interesting. I've daily driven cars as loud as open downpipe, and as stiff as coilovers with 8k springs, and the 1LE package has been the perfect level of impracticality for me, balancing modern creature comforts with fun elements. That said, I do really enjoy the ability to take it to the track with minimal prep and make me look like a better driver than I am, but I probably don't make it out enough to make that be the sole reason for the car.
camaroras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #28
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroras View Post
Mine has been my daily driver for the past year and a half, ~18k miles, and I absolutely love it. However, if my past cars are any indication, I like some level of "impracticality" in my daily driver to keep things interesting. I've daily driven cars as loud as open downpipe, and as stiff as coilovers with 8k springs, and the 1LE package has been the perfect level of impracticality for me, balancing modern creature comforts with fun elements. That said, I do really enjoy the ability to take it to the track with minimal prep and make me look like a better driver than I am, but I probably don't make it out enough to make that be the sole reason for the car.
^^This = 1LE