Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 09-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #1
Artood2s

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
New 1LE Owner Here

Hi all,
Purchased a slightly used (4k miles) 2018 SS 1LE two weeks ago. I fell in love with the 6th Gen 1LE a few years ago when the reviews started coming out, labelling it one of the best driver's cars in current production. Had to hold off as I had an infant and 3 year old, and wanted for both to be forward facing before trying to daily this beast. I have historically been a Ford (SVT Focus and Focus ST) and BMW (135i and much love for the M3 from afar) guy, but after driving an ATS V on an autocross course, I knew this Alpha platform was legit. Happy to say that the "Dadmobile" is as good as advertised, and looking forward to my first non go-karting track days in the not so distant future.

I did my fair share of research (mostly using this forum), and I'm happy to say that my car doesn't suffer from some of the more popular issues (at least from forum posts). No noises from the rear end, tranny shifts smoothly, AC is cold. The only thing I need to get used to is the DI noise from the engine. After much online research, I am 99% sure it is normal, but I made a video just in case I notice any changes in the future (link to video in case someone hears differently). Sound is a bit exaggerated in the video, and it goes away after 2k rpm.

I also noticed the car was still within the free maintenance window, so I went to a local Chevy dealer and performed the 7,500 mile maintenance early. Would it be overkill if I change the transmission and differential fluids eventhough I'm not experiencing any roughness there? How much should those run for this car?

Will probably limit the mods on this car to comestic items as there is little I'd do to improve the car at the moment (car came with a Borla Atak axle-back).

Thanks,
Art
Attached Images

Artood2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Welcome and congrats.
I make it a habit of changing the fluids on any used car I purchase.
That being said, I changed my diff at 2300 miles, and did it again with the trans at 11k miles.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
You're not going to hurt anything be doing any maintenance early. When you do it late is when you start running into problems.
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #4
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artood2s View Post
Hi all,
Purchased a slightly used (4k miles) 2018 SS 1LE two weeks ago. I fell in love with the 6th Gen 1LE a few years ago when the reviews started coming out, labelling it one of the best driver's cars in current production. Had to hold off as I had an infant and 3 year old, and wanted for both to be forward facing before trying to daily this beast. I have historically been a Ford (SVT Focus and Focus ST) and BMW (135i and much love for the M3 from afar) guy, but after driving an ATS V on an autocross course, I knew this Alpha platform was legit. Happy to say that the "Dadmobile" is as good as advertised, and looking forward to my first non go-karting track days in the not so distant future.

I did my fair share of research (mostly using this forum), and I'm happy to say that my car doesn't suffer from some of the more popular issues (at least from forum posts). No noises from the rear end, tranny shifts smoothly, AC is cold. The only thing I need to get used to is the DI noise from the engine. After much online research, I am 99% sure it is normal, but I made a video just in case I notice any changes in the future (link to video in case someone hears differently). Sound is a bit exaggerated in the video, and it goes away after 2k rpm.

I also noticed the car was still within the free maintenance window, so I went to a local Chevy dealer and performed the 7,500 mile maintenance early. Would it be overkill if I change the transmission and differential fluids eventhough I'm not experiencing any roughness there? How much should those run for this car?

Will probably limit the mods on this car to comestic items as there is little I'd do to improve the car at the moment (car came with a Borla Atak axle-back).

Thanks,
Art
I had mine checked out for similar noise, in fact I think mine is louder than yours. Anyhow the dealer thought it was the direct injection but I’m not convinced yet. The problem is it’s subtle and comes and goes. Yours were seems very quiet but if you have significant concerns get it checked out. Does your ticking accelerate with the RPMs or no?
Congratulations on the car by the way!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
JLz06

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Congrats on the car man. My car does a similar noise as well but I am sure its the direct injection. Most direct injection cars have this noise because of how aggressive the 3 lobe cam ramp is to get the pump going. Easy way to tell is to get an automotive stethoscope and check for the noise towards the rear of the engine and sure enough you will hear it clear as day.
1999 Carrera
1998 Camaro Z28
JLz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #6
Vaider

Drives: 18 NFG 1SS 1LE
Welcome to the family. Nightfall Grey is an awesome color.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
appleman22

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le
one thing i have learned about lt motors, is that they really sound like shit. Mine sounds exactly like yours and is totally normal. Drive it and enjoy it. You have a warranty nothing to worry about.
appleman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
Artood2s

Thanks to all!

The sound does go up with the rpm, but fades at around 2k rpm. At first it worried me, but after many videos and forum posts, I'm fairly confident it's okay. I did see one with a lifter problem, and mine was definitely not as loud as that. In any case I have 3 years left on the Powertrain Warranty as mentioned above.

To be honest the grey was not on my radar, but when I saw it on the for sale listing I was smitten. It's also more grown up than my first and second choices (blue and red; still love the car in those colors btw), and it fits better with my job (banker). My wife says it looks like a car Bruce Wayne would drive, so I nicknamed it the "Dadmobile" (unintentional dad joke).

I haven't done the work on my own cars for years, but this one probably deserves the extra attention.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:31 PM   #9
LS3JM

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Welcome. Not to scare you but my car does Not have this noise. To me it sounds like a exhaust leak or possible lifter noise. My car is 100% stock.
LS3JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:08 PM   #10
Artood2s

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3JM View Post
Welcome. Not to scare you but my car does Not have this noise. To me it sounds like a exhaust leak or possible lifter noise. My car is 100% stock.
Thanks for the input. I'll check the clamps on the axle-back exhaust, but the noise is definitely from the engine bay. As I mentioned, I had the dealer perform the 7,500 mile service, and asked them to check the engine. They said they would take a quick look/listen, but anything more intensive would take a few days to diagnose. I'll definitely keep an open ear, and maybe try the stethoscope method mentioned here.

Loving my commute too much to give up the car for a few days right now
Old 09-12-2019, 08:37 PM   #11
Driver23D

Drives: 2014 Chevy Volt, 2018 SS 1LE
Hello from Broward! Noticed your in Miami. Feel free to check the Florida region subforum. There's also a Facebook group under "Soflo Camaro 5th, 6th".

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Driver23D is offline   Reply With Quote