Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
TCC slip tables.

So for a couple years now I have had my TCC slip tables zero'd out. I did it before I ever had any converter shudder. The only thing I never cared for about doing this is it makes the trans down shift a bit harshfrom any gear. The other night I decided to try putting the Slip tables back to stock and I noticed some oddities with the transmission. I don't get the rumble strip vibration, but the rpms were flaring when cruising steady with the converter locked. That is another symptom of the converter shudder. So I guess mine has it with the stock settings, but with my Tune the trans acts fine.

That being said, I decided to try and modify the TCC slip tables. I started by reducing all the cells populated with 10 to 5, and the cells with 5 to 3. That removed 90% of the anamolies I was seeing with the stock TCC slip settings. So I went a step further and reduced all the cells that were currently 5 to 3, and the cells with 3 to 2, and left all else the same.

The results seem to be good. No issues and the trans down shifts smoother compared to having the tables completely zero'd out. It's still a bit firmer then stock, but much better then being zero'd out.

I have to take my car in for a steering recall, my service advisor said they would run the 18-na-355 fluid flush under my warranty even though I am modded now that GM doesn't require any diagnosis prior.

Either way, just figured I would share for those that like to tinker. If you try these settings make sure to change all gears "AC off 1-8".
Attached Images

Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA

Last edited by KingLT1; 09-03-2019 at 10:18 AM.
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Thanks for the information.

Are these the same slip tables you posted about in this thread?

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540913

While we’re on this subject, do you have a thought why the line pressure spikes when in gear and not moving?

I posted about this a few months back.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554779

You also mentioned in that thread about other changes you made. Will you share those changes with me?
Attached Images

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
KingLT1

Yes those are the tables. Zeroing them out doesn't allow the converter to slip a certain percentage during throttle transition which makes down shift much more aggressive. Pretty sure GM did this to make transition from 4cyl mode smoother and the part throttle down shifts more seamless.

Far as the line pressure spike, I am not sure why it does that.

The other changes are as follows.

Shift inertia
Shift time
Shift pressure TCC on/off
Max kpa
Trans peak torque and limit
Torque management switches

All those tables need adjustments to maximize the trans tune for best performance. I don't believe you need to make all those adjustments for the TCC slip tables if trying to prevent converter shudder.

Do you have HPtuners?
Old 09-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #4
Trochoidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Yes those are the tables. Zeroing them out doesn't allow the converter to slip a certain percentage during throttle transition which makes down shift much more aggressive. Pretty sure GM did this to make transition from 4cyl mode smoother and the part throttle down shifts more seamless.

Far as the line pressure spike, I am not sure why it does that.

The other changes are as follows.

Shift inertia
Shift time
Shift pressure TCC on/off
Max kpa
Trans peak torque and limit
Torque management switches

All those tables need adjustments to maximize the trans tune for best performance. I don't believe you need to make all those adjustments for the TCC slip tables if trying to prevent converter shudder.

Do you have HPtuners?
Great to know what tables need attention. That crazy spike could just be some kind of erroneous data. Yes I have HPtuners.

Thanks again for sharing.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
I've had mine zeroed out for over 1 1/2 years and kind of like the crazy downshifts. Guess I just got used to them and certainly can deal with that better than the rumble strip slip. But maybe I'll give your mod a try. Thanks for the info.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I've had mine zeroed for a while also. I'll try these settings out and see how it feels.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #7
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Interesting KingLT1 , now are you using the added slip with your full trans tune, or this is a mostly stock trans tune?

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Interesting KingLT1 , now are you using the added slip with your full trans tune, or this is a mostly stock trans tune?
Full Trans Tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parbreak View Post
I've had mine zeroed out for over 1 1/2 years and kind of like the crazy downshifts. Guess I just got used to them and certainly can deal with that better than the rumble strip slip. But maybe I'll give your mod a try. Thanks for the info.
Yea I could easily live with the tables zeroed out, I just like to tinker. I had a "I wonder if I tried this" moment LOL. I figured I would post up for others to try and see what they thought.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #9
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
speaking of tinkering....i extended my normal driving shift points about 4mph higher. And i don't shift into 8th now until about 54. I hate driving around at 1200 RPMS
Old 09-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #10
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
speaking of tinkering....i extended my normal driving shift points about 4mph higher. And i don't shift into 8th now until about 54. I hate driving around at 1200 RPMS
Agreed, changing the part throttle upshift TCM tables made for a very nice improvement in around-town driving.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:06 PM   #11
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
For the harsh/rough closed throttle downshifts, I disable TCC lockup at 0% TPS for gears 1-5 or 6, I found this helps the torque converter absorb some of the downshifts tieing up and binding when on the brake slowing down (especially when coasting or slightly on the brake).

I know I have seen some SAE papers about improving NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) characteristics for downshifting on clutch to clutch automatics, so I think its a industry problem. However, I think GM could have tuned it way better and eliminated a lot of the sorry and harsh zero/part throttle shifts, or either they did this on purpose to improve durability as a trade-off, or they are just so bureaucratic no one bothered to make it any better.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #12
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
For the harsh/rough closed throttle downshifts, I disable TCC lockup at 0% TPS for gears 1-5 or 6, I found this helps the torque converter absorb some of the downshifts tieing up and binding when on the brake slowing down (especially when coasting or slightly on the brake).

I know I have seen some SAE papers about improving NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) characteristics for downshifting on clutch to clutch automatics, so I think its a industry problem. However, I think GM could have tuned it way better and eliminated a lot of the sorry and harsh zero/part throttle shifts, or either they did this on purpose to improve durability as a trade-off, or they are just so bureaucratic no one bothered to make it any better.
can you post a screenshot. thanks
Old 09-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #13
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post

my TCC lock up is disabled until 8th gear 55mph.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:47 PM   #14
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
can you post a screenshot. thanks
I like to keep 6, 7, and 8 still locked up since the clunks and clanks seem to be a little more amplified in the lower gears. However, it seems like i'm getting more and more clunking and clanking but it could just be me noticing it. It can do it bad at around 40-45 when you're at very light throttle and it goes from 8-7. The very bad NVH qualities of the driveline and pinion gear I think are about 90% to blame for the problem, since you wouldn't notice any of this if it weren't for the whole driveshaft and carrier bearing clunking during the downshift when there is a sudden torque spike or reversal.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1711
Size:  185.0 KB
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote