Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 05-28-2019, 12:02 PM   #29
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Nice!! Hope it holds up for you!! Did they share if they saw anything obvious with the fuel pump assembly?? Did you try in different directions on your initial testing??
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:06 AM   #30
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Fantastic! What did they replace exactly?
Thanks!
My understanding is the Fuel pickup assembly which has the fuel pump and more in it, not exactly sure how much more than that but it' more than just the fuel pump.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:08 AM   #31
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Nice!! Hope it holds up for you!! Did they share if they saw anything obvious with the fuel pump assembly?? Did you try in different directions on your initial testing??
Thanks me too!

They didn't share any info, I may call them and ask but I'd imagine there are a great many things that can be wrong that are not observable visibly.

Testing was the same as before; long hard corners turning right.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #32
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Thanks me too!

They didn't share any info, I may call them and ask but I'd imagine there are a great many things that can be wrong that are not observable visibly.

Testing was the same as before; long hard corners turning right.
Gotcha
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:07 PM   #33
Bluebarchetta

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
My understanding is the Fuel pickup assembly which has the fuel pump and more in it, not exactly sure how much more than that but it' more than just the fuel pump.
This makes sense as we were all thinking it was more than just a fuel pump issue. Hope your fix is permanent
Bluebarchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:41 AM   #34
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebarchetta View Post
This makes sense as we were all thinking it was more than just a fuel pump issue. Hope your fix is permanent
Me to thanks
Tracking the car this Saturday, so I'll know for sure then, but so far so good
Old 06-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #35
APEX1SS

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro
Surge tank

I had the exact same issue on my first track day with my 2018 SS. It actually caused the low pressure fuel pump in tank to intermittently drop fuel pressure from 137 to 63 at WOT. Warranty covered it but there were no pumps available. The part number changes up to a newer version but no stock anywhere. GM agreed to put a ZL1 pump in as it was available out of Cincinnati. My issue started at 2/3rds of a tank on certain corners. A surge tank (aka swirl pot) will fix this issue that will damage the pump if (like me) you try to drive through the issue until the check engine light comes on and into half throttle limp mode.
APEX1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:28 AM   #36
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEX1SS View Post
I had the exact same issue on my first track day with my 2018 SS. It actually caused the low pressure fuel pump in tank to intermittently drop fuel pressure from 137 to 63 at WOT. Warranty covered it but there were no pumps available. The part number changes up to a newer version but no stock anywhere. GM agreed to put a ZL1 pump in as it was available out of Cincinnati. My issue started at 2/3rds of a tank on certain corners. A surge tank (aka swirl pot) will fix this issue that will damage the pump if (like me) you try to drive through the issue until the check engine light comes on and into half throttle limp mode.
Sounds exactly the same as what I had, except I've had it twice in 1 year!

What exactly is a surge tank (aka swirl pot)? Is it an aftermarket add on?
Old 06-29-2019, 11:51 PM   #37
APEX1SS

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro
Surge tank

I am currently researching the best option for 6th gen's . I found an Epman under car style but unsure if it can be safely mounted away from heat. Most are in the trunk and want minimum modification to install one as it is a daily driver. Ebay & Amazon are loaded with them, a racing fuel cel is another option, like the GT4 Camaro.
APEX1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:54 AM   #38
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Sounds exactly the same as what I had, except I've had it twice in 1 year!

What exactly is a surge tank (aka swirl pot)? Is it an aftermarket add on?
Typically a surge tank is a separate small but deep tank that the high pressure EFI pump draws from. The idea is that small horizontal dimensions won't allow fuel slosh to uncover the EFI suction-side tank outlet if the tank remains full enough. Done this way, a separate pump is involved (been there).

It's also possible to provide baffling around an OE in-tank EFI pump that allows fuel to freely flow into the immediate vicinity of the pump suction but not so freely out of it.

Norm
Old 09-16-2019, 10:43 PM   #39
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebarchetta View Post
I hoped it was too but it just started doing it again today on the long hard sweeping corners!
I had 5 good track days with no problems, I don't know why it would all of a sudden start acting up again, there is no way I could have 3 defective fuel pump assemblies in a little over 1 year and if it was defective why didn't it have problems right away?
Old 09-23-2019, 01:06 AM   #40
GunMetalGrey

Time to go to a dealership that's willing to investigate this instead of just throw more fuel pick up assemblies at it over and over
Old 11-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #41
GunMetalGrey

UPDATE: The dealership replaced the entire tank and fuel pick up assembly, they had it all out so I could see it and I now I understand more about the gas tank and fuel pick up assembly;

The two sides of the tank are really divided/segregated and hence there is a fuel scavenger pump in the left hand side of the tank that pumps the fuel on that side back to the main pump on the right hand side, so if this scavenger pump was not working, no fuel would get back to the right hand side of the tank where the main pump is on hard long right hand corners.

Guess what???

The entire time this has been going on, the dealership never thought about replacing the scavenger pump!!! They had only replaced the main pump!!!

I can't believe their lack of logic and thought... If this doesn't fix the problem I'd be shocked.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #42
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
UPDATE: The dealership replaced the entire tank and fuel pick up assembly, they had it all out so I could see it and I now I understand more about the gas tank and fuel pick up assembly;

The two sides of the tank are really divided/segregated and hence there is a fuel scavenger pump in the left hand side of the tank that pumps the fuel on that side back to the main pump on the right hand side, so if this scavenger pump was not working, no fuel would get back to the right hand side of the tank where the main pump is on hard long right hand corners.

Guess what???

The entire time this has been going on, the dealership never thought about replacing the scavenger pump!!! They had only replaced the main pump!!!

I can't believe their lack of logic and thought... If this doesn't fix the problem I'd be shocked.
Not surprised a dealer wouldnt know of a second pump.
I bet most of their techs dont read manuals like most folks

As far as the 2 tanks: i was aware of it and that's why the car handles noticeably better at half a tank.

Anyhow, hope this solves your issue permanently. Logic would suggest the second pump was the culprit here.

Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cornering, power loss, stumbling, surging, wot