Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #15
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
Found it! - TSB 18-NA-355

aj1203, the trans and torque converter are part of the drivetrain. The drivetrain warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles. For the dealership to tell you it's not covered because your B2B warranty is expired is BS.
Thank you so much for providing a link to the newest version (August 2019)!
Old 09-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #16
Tex2SS
16 Camaro 2SS Convertible

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
I took my 2016 2SS Vert A8 into Sam Packs' Five Star Chevrolet in Carrolton for the triple flush at about 1K miles and they did it no questions asked. The customer rep that I met when I got there was very familiar with the issues and TSB's on these cars, but he is unfortunately no longer there. :/

Tex2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #17
ac-427

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline Convertible
I have a 2018 2SS Redline Convertible and I'm happy to report that the Thompson Group in Grapevine, Texas changed my transmission fluid to fix the so called "shudder" without argument. It seems that we get lots of complaints on this Forum about dealers so I'm glad to report that I have a good one.
ac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #18
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
I just told my dealership it had hard shifting and they said bring it in and get the new fluid flush. No testing or Picoscope. They said it is no required anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2SS View Post
I took my 2016 2SS Vert A8 into Sam Packs' Five Star Chevrolet in Carrolton for the triple flush at about 1K miles and they did it no questions asked. The customer rep that I met when I got there was very familiar with the issues and TSB's on these cars, but he is unfortunately no longer there. :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac-427 View Post
I have a 2018 2SS Redline Convertible and I'm happy to report that the Thompson Group in Grapevine, Texas changed my transmission fluid to fix the so called "shudder" without argument. It seems that we get lots of complaints on this Forum about dealers so I'm glad to report that I have a good one.
How big are the dealerships you took your cars to? The two closest to me are pretty big and apparently don't offer that type of customer service, even when you have documentation indicating a diagnosis isn't required. I spoke with service managers at both locations.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:41 PM   #19
ac-427

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
How big are the dealerships you took your cars to? The two closest to me are pretty big and apparently don't offer that type of customer service, even when you have documentation indicating a diagnosis isn't required. I spoke with service managers at both locations.
The Thompson Group is rather small as it the fleet subsidiary of Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine,Texas. I've purchased my last three cars from the Thompson group and wouldn't consider another dealer.
ac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #20
wavsine
________/\_

Drives: Gen6 NGM RS
Send a message via Yahoo to wavsine
Bumped to see if anybody else has had experience with a dealer in the DFW area changing their tranny fluid under TSB 18-NA-355.
wavsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:15 AM   #21
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
The wording is super confusing anyway - who wrote this anyway? Were they intentionally making it super vague?

"Vehicles that are presented with TCC shudder should have the appropriate fluid
exchange procedure completed. Diagnosis beyond the customer compliant is not
required if vehicle was built prior to production dates indicated above.
For vehicles built after the production dates listed above."

The product date is listed as a range. The wording says diagnosis not required if vehicle build prior to production dates indicated above. That makes no sense. That literally means it was built before the date range listed, not within the date range listed. So you could have a pretty hard time convincing a dealer that GM meant to say diagnosis isn't required for vehicles built within the range of production dates listed. Which isn't what the TSB says.

Typical GM....
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #22
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
The wording is super confusing anyway - who wrote this anyway? Were they intentionally making it super vague?

"Vehicles that are presented with TCC shudder should have the appropriate fluid
exchange procedure completed. Diagnosis beyond the customer compliant is not
required if vehicle was built prior to production dates indicated above.
For vehicles built after the production dates listed above."

The product date is listed as a range. The wording says diagnosis not required if vehicle build prior to production dates indicated above. That makes no sense. That literally means it was built before the date range listed, not within the date range listed. So you could have a pretty hard time convincing a dealer that GM meant to say diagnosis isn't required for vehicles built within the range of production dates listed. Which isn't what the TSB says.

Typical GM....
You are looking at that incorrectly. The first four columns are MODEL years affected, NOT production years. The two columns after that, under the Date Breakpoint header are the units affected. The "From" "SOP" means Start of Production. The 8L's started production for use in 2016 and later model vehicles. The "To" column is likely a point at which the factory stopped using the older fluid and began using the newer stuff, so they determined a "break point" at which the shudder issue was resolved in manufacturing (by using the new fluid type).

I'll be taking my 2016 2SS (with 1880 miles on it) into the dealer as soon as it comes out of storage here in snowy MI. I'm taking the TSB with me. Don't know if it has the issue as I haven't even driven it since buying it Dec 1. I'm going to head it off at the pass, so to speak!

I'm not sure why a dealer wouldn't just do the TSB now, since verification is not required. That's cashflow for the service dept that comes from GM's pocket, not theirs! (at least for cars under 6-60, which all are under 6, but some may be >60) If I were a dealer I'd be "suggesting" this service to every customer!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #23
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
Bumped to see if anybody else has had experience with a dealer in the DFW area changing their tranny fluid under TSB 18-NA-355.
Mine is at Classic Chevrolet for unrelated issues, I can call them and ask my service adviser to see what they are doing. I have a M6 so it doesn't apply to my car
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:07 PM   #24
c4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
You are looking at that incorrectly. The first four columns are MODEL years affected, NOT production years. The two columns after that, under the Date Breakpoint header are the units affected. The "From" "SOP" means Start of Production. The 8L's started production for use in 2016 and later model vehicles. The "To" column is likely a point at which the factory stopped using the older fluid and began using the newer stuff, so they determined a "break point" at which the shudder issue was resolved in manufacturing (by using the new fluid type).

I'll be taking my 2016 2SS (with 1880 miles on it) into the dealer as soon as it comes out of storage here in snowy MI. I'm taking the TSB with me. Don't know if it has the issue as I haven't even driven it since buying it Dec 1. I'm going to head it off at the pass, so to speak!

I'm not sure why a dealer wouldn't just do the TSB now, since verification is not required. That's cashflow for the service dept that comes from GM's pocket, not theirs! (at least for cars under 6-60, which all are under 6, but some may be >60) If I were a dealer I'd be "suggesting" this service to every customer!
I see your point - but it's still very poorly worded IMO.

I need to take my 2018 Colorado in at some point to have this done, I will take this TSB with me. Looks like it was corrected in that vehicle in 2019, so since I bought it in July 2018 it's within the window for sure.

Still under B2B in my case too. Under 10K miles still too.

My Camaro is a M6 so no worries there.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #25
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
I see your point - but it's still very poorly worded IMO.
Yeah, sure is. They should have worded it to say that if the vehicle was built prior to the "TO" date under Date Breakpoint, it's potentially affected.

Folks whose cars are close to that breakpoint are going to have a harder time getting it done. They'd have to know the production date, and then argue with the dealer (and GM) whether their trans is one of the "fixed" ones from production. That's probably where the VIN lookup came into play with an earlier poster.

FWIW, my wife's DD is a '16 CTS AWD with the 8L45. Nearing 40k and it's never shuddered.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:22 PM   #26
c4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Yeah, sure is. They should have worded it to say that if the vehicle was built prior to the "TO" date under Date Breakpoint, it's potentially affected.

Folks whose cars are close to that breakpoint are going to have a harder time getting it done. They'd have to know the production date, and then argue with the dealer (and GM) whether their trans is one of the "fixed" ones from production. That's probably where the VIN lookup came into play with an earlier poster.

FWIW, my wife's DD is a '16 CTS AWD with the 8L45. Nearing 40k and it's never shuddered.
ya -my colorado has never shuddered either. But at some point I would still like to get the updated fluid in there - doesn't seem to be a reason not to.