Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-12-2019, 05:27 AM   #1
Canadian Steve

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS Convertible
How do you clean the trunk cover?

Just curious how other convertible owners are cleaning the parts of their Camaro that are exposed with the top down but covered with it up. For instance, the trunk lid that covers the roof when it’s down cannot be washed with the rest of the exterior when the roof is up. Do you drop the roof and just be careful to avoid getting water in the interior? Do you do this before washing the exterior or after? Any other areas you’ve found need special treatment?
Canadian Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:04 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Steve View Post
Just curious how other convertible owners are cleaning the parts of their Camaro that are exposed with the top down but covered with it up. For instance, the trunk lid that covers the roof when it’s down cannot be washed with the rest of the exterior when the roof is up. Do you drop the roof and just be careful to avoid getting water in the interior? Do you do this before washing the exterior or after? Any other areas you’ve found need special treatment?
My tonneau cover occasionally gets a bit of dust on it. Nothing major since it's either covered when the top is up, or just exposed to fresh air and sunlight when the top is down and I'm out driving. But yeah it gets an occasional bee pollen blob or whatever.

Equipment:
1. Eagle Edgeless 500 g/sqm Microfiber towel. https://www.theragcompany.com/eagle-...rofiber-towel/
2. Reading glasses to see details (if you're old like me).
3. Quick Detailer: 1 part Carpro Reload diluted into 5 parts distilled water. https://www.carpro-us.com/protection...ad-500ml-17oz/

Technique:
4. Spray the quick detailer liberally onto the MF towel.
5. Wipe the tonneau cover ever so gently, very light pressure.
6. I roll the towel toward me as I wipe. This is so if any dust/dirt sticks to the towel, I lift it up and away from the paint to prevent swirls and scratches.
7. Fold the towel to expose a clean surface and repeat 4-6 until the entire paint surface is dust free.
8. If needed, with less QD this time and a fresh towel I go back and repeat from step 4 to remove any streaks that may have dried (usually not needed unless it was VERY dirty).
9. Dry with light pressure using a clean/dry side of the towel.
10. Marvel in the brilliance of the perfectly clean panel!

Here's an alternate formula for "Magic QD Elixir": 20 parts distilled water, 4 parts Carpro Reload, 1 part Carpro Ech20 waterless wash. https://www.carpro-us.com/wash/water...te-500ml-17oz/

Pro-Tip: If you have a hydrophobic sealant (such as full-strength Reload) or coating (such as Gtechniq EXO), and/or paint protection film (Suntek, Xpel, etc.) on the car, you'll a) get much less dirt on the paint in the first place, and b) when you do it comes off MUCH easier with much less effort and less risk of swirls!

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
Canadian Steve

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
My tonneau cover occasionally gets a bit of dust on it. Nothing major since it's either covered when the top is up, or just exposed to fresh air and sunlight when the top is down and I'm out driving. But yeah it gets an occasional bee pollen blob or whatever.

Equipment:
1. Eagle Edgeless 500 g/sqm Microfiber towel. https://www.theragcompany.com/eagle-...rofiber-towel/
3. Quick Detailer: 1 part Carpro Reload diluted into 5 parts distilled water. https://www.carpro-us.com/protection...ad-500ml-17oz/

Technique:
6. I roll the towel toward me as I wipe. This is so if any dust/dirt sticks to the towel, I lift it up and away from the paint to prevent swirls and scratches.
7. Fold the towel to expose a clean surface and repeat 4-6 until the entire paint surface is dust free.
8. If needed, with less QD this time and a fresh towel I go back and repeat from step 4 to remove any streaks that may have dried (usually not needed unless it was VERY dirty).

Here's an alternate formula for "Magic QD Elixir": 20 parts distilled water, 4 parts Carpro Reload, 1 part Carpro Ech20 waterless wash. https://www.carpro-us.com/wash/water...te-500ml-17oz/

Pro-Tip: If you have a hydrophobic sealant (such as full-strength Reload) or coating (such as Gtechniq EXO), and/or paint protection film (Suntek, Xpel, etc.) on the car, you'll a) get much less dirt on the paint in the first place, and b) when you do it comes off MUCH easier with much less effort and less risk of swirls!

Thanks for the technique. I’ll give it a try at the next wash.
Canadian Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
wildchevy

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS convertible
I use a micro fiber towel and Griots Speed Shine, which also works great on removing bug carcasses from the front end, I wet the car down with water and spray speed shine on front end and let it work in for a few minutes before washing and they come right off with minimal effort.

2018 HBM 2SS CONVERTIBLE A8
wildchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
For bugs: Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover (green bottle). https://www.walmart.com/ip/Turtle-Wa...-16oz/16888962

1. Shake well, nozzle on stream (not spray).
2. Lightly squirt a bit on the bug to coat (nozzle a couple inches away, don't need much).
3. Wait 60 seconds.
4. Wipes off with nearly zero effort.

Notes:
A. For bugs that have baked for a few days in the Florida sun, I extend above #3 wait time to 2-3 mins.
B. TWB&TR can leave a bit of an oily/solvent residue, so I do a final wipe/clean up with the QD elixir from post #2.
C. The solvents in TWB&TR soften bug carcasses (think shellac) so as to prevent scratches.
D. Works really well on hardened road tar too!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
BigRed7181

Drives: 2016 2SS Glacier White Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post

Equipment:

Technique:

YES!!!! THIS WAY!!!!!
16 2SS SUMMIT WHITE / NPP / MRC / 6MT / CONVERTIBLE / TINT / SPLITTER / SPLASH GUARDS / WHITE KNEE PADS / WINDSCREEN / BLACK BOW TIES / HASH TAGS / DIODE DYNAMICS / GM SMOKED TAILS / MORIMOTO / ALPINE / HERTZ / BLENTMOUNT
BigRed7181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:27 PM   #7
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
I use griots speed shine or the quick wash with a microfiber towel and turn the towel over so it’s one swipe per clean section. Maybe finish off with a second towel. I do that maybe every 6-8 weeks or so.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote