#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-25-2022, 03:04 PM   #15
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
You need quite bit of power to charge these large batteries.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't that what an alternator is for?

I had to google it to make sure I wasn't saying something stupid:

Quote:
The alternator's primary purpose is to keep the battery charged when the vehicle is running, but it also helps the battery keep the electrical components in your vehicle charged, which may include the windshield wipers, headlights, and more.
So given I'm no engineer, and I know all the auto manufacturers are bigwig engineers.

Has no one thought of putting an alternator into an EV? Now you decrease battery size because its no longer needed, cost on vehicle goes down, no more $30,000 range extending batteries needed. Less materials used in general. And all they have to do is engineer an alternator sufficient for the job.

Granted I'm probably over simplifying things but the flow seems pretty simple to me.

Battery -> Motor -> Alternator -> Battery

Alternator only has to charge the battery at a higher rate than the electronic load on the battery.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:12 PM   #16
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
Ah yes, that looks the part. An EV version of a Malibu SS… POS
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:15 PM   #17
Slippy

Drives: 22 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
Has no one thought of putting an alternator into an EV?
Running an alternator with an electric motor would use more power than it creates.
Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:16 PM   #18
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
Running an alternator with an electric motor would use more power than it creates.
You do realize some of these motors produce hundreds or more of HP right?

Anyone want to guess how much horsepower the F150 Lighting motor produces?

426 hp

I don't think the load on the motor is as high as you think it would be.

By that logic our 6.2L V8's shouldn't have alternators, but they do, and they have 800 + or - cranking amps for short durations.

I mean are my observations really that far off that there is something I'm not understanding?
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
Old 07-25-2022, 03:26 PM   #19
Slippy

Drives: 22 1LE
Quote:
You do realize some of these motors produce hundreds or more of HP right?

Anyone want to guess how much horsepower the F150 Lighting motor produces?

426 hp

I don't think the load on the motor is as high as you think it would be.

By that logic our 6.2L V8's shouldn't have alternators, but they do, and they have 800 + or - cranking amps for short durations.

I mean are my observations really that far off that there is something I'm not understanding?

https://evbaron.com/why-dont-electri...e-alternators/

Our vehicles have alternators to convert energy from fuel into electricity. Cranking amps are a measurement for batteries, not alternators. An EV powering an alternator with a battery to then return the energy to the battery will have losses.
Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:36 PM   #20
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
So the only reason is efficiency.

Very well then, I guess 200 miles per battery charge and 1 hour charge session after it runs out is much more efficient than a 450+ mile V8.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not an electrical engineer but last time I checked there was a device that multiplies electric output?

I think they call it a "Voltage Multiplier?"

That article describes the amount of power to run the alternator is more than the power the alternator would produce.

So what reason would there be not to use a Voltage Multiplier?
Old 07-25-2022, 03:43 PM   #21
cthulhucaller

Drives: 2022 1SS Team Joe and Becky
Quote:
Alternator only has to charge the battery at a higher rate than the electronic load on the battery.
It's impossible to do, unfortunately. It's a closed system, and closed systems can never make more power than they consume, or they would become perpetual motion systems, violating the laws of physics.

Power created by the alternator will always be lower than the parasitic draw of the alternator being spun by the motor, due to friction and heat. Plus, you still have to move the car.
cthulhucaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:44 PM   #22
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhucaller View Post
It's impossible to do, unfortunately. It's a closed system, and closed systems can never make more power than they consume, or they would become perpetual motion systems, violating the laws of physics.

Power created by the alternator will always be lower than the parasitic draw of the alternator being spun by the motor, due to friction and heat. Plus, you still have to move the car.
See my previous post above.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:45 PM   #23
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Quote:

Very well then, I guess 200 miles per battery charge and 1 hour charge session after it runs out is much more efficient than a 450+ mile V8.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not an electrical engineer but last time I checked there was a device that multiplies electric output?

That article describes the amount of power to run the alternator is more than the power the alternator would produce.

Voltage "multiplier" aka boost converter will increase voltage (what internal charging circuit does anyway) but power will stay the same. Actually there will be power loss from conversion. So no, there is no way alternator will generate more power than it's using.

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:49 PM   #24
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojas View Post
Voltage "multiplier" aka boost converter will increase voltage (what internal charging circuit does anyway) but power will stay the same. Actually there will be power loss from conversion. So no, there is no way alternator will generate more power than it's using.
The law of conservation of energy, also known as the first law of thermodynamics, states that the energy of a closed system must remain constant—it can neither increase nor decrease without interference from outside.

Am I misinterpreting this?

Also a Boost converter is not a Voltage Multiplier device. An alternator produces AC. A Voltage Multiplier device converts AC to DC and multiplies the DC Voltage many times.

We are not changing the closed system's energy, we are converting its output to a higher Voltage which would be higher than the DC drain on the battery. (Theoretically assuming all factors are considered properly)
Old 07-25-2022, 03:57 PM   #25
mariojas

Quote:
The law of conservation of energy, also known as the first law of thermodynamics, states that the energy of a closed system must remain constant—it can neither increase nor decrease without interference from outside.

Also a Boost converter is not a Voltage Multiplier device. An alternator produces AC. A Voltage Multiplier device converts AC to DC and multiplies the DC Voltage many times.
Yes, conservation of energy works. Losses in switching are going in to heat my friend.

Old 07-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #26
mariojas

Quote:

We are not changing the closed system's energy, we are converting its output to a higher Voltage which would be higher than the DC drain on the battery. (Theoretically assuming all factors are considered properly)
Your car does not drive on VOLTAGE. In the most basic electric engine the torque depends on current, not voltage. You will go nowhere if your power source can give even 1 million volts but cannot give enough of power (voltage times current for DC).

Old 07-25-2022, 04:04 PM   #27
cthulhucaller

Drives: 2022 1SS Team Joe and Becky
Quote:

More volts does not mean more electrical power. You can trade volts for amps, but the potential power output will not increase. It will actually decrease electrical power through inefficiency and heat at the converting device.

Voltage multipliers and reducers are used when the voltage required by a device is higher or lower than normally supplied elsewhere in the system, such as thousands of volts required to fire a spark plug, or 5 volts to charge your phone, and converted from the base 12(ish) volt system in the car.
cthulhucaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:19 PM   #28
flobb

Drives: 2022 2SS A10 Coupe. Black + Redline
1. the "render" is nothing more than a photoshop of the EV Blazer. https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/i...g?imwidth=1920

2. whether intentional or not, Fluke is being a massive troll.
flobb is offline   Reply With Quote