Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-29-2021, 07:27 AM   #1
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Has anyone went from a C7 Z06 to a 6th gen ZL1 or vice versa?

Curious to know your thoughts and comparisons from both and what you dislike or like about either car?

What made you switch from either one?

Are they somewhat close in straight line speed and cornering, or is the Vette much superior?

Which one felt more comfortable to you sitting in as a daily?

Which one feels more confidence inspiring in corners without making you feel like it's going to bite you?

Which one puts the power down better from a dig and slow rolls?

If either one of these vehicles were a manual, which manual in either car did you prefer and why?

Thanks
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:40 AM   #2
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Should get several responses here from those that have made this switch. Its been talked about a few times.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:29 AM   #3
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
I made the switch from a C7 Z06 to a ZL1/1LE. Thoughts below -

Curious to know your thoughts and comparisons from both and what you dislike or like about either car?
The C7 Z06 had a chassis that could not handle the power of the LT4. The overheating issues were also an issue. I simply could not push the car on a track for more than 10-15 minutes because of the heatsoak and timing being pulled.

What made you switch from either one?
See above.

Are they somewhat close in straight line speed and cornering, or is the Vette much superior?
Yes, they are both close in both.

Which one felt more comfortable to you sitting in as a daily?
C7 Z06 way more comfortable as a daily. This is comparing to the ZL1/1LE. My guess is the ZL1 would be very comfortable as well.

Which one feels more confidence inspiring in corners without making you feel like it's going to bite you?
Easily the ZL1. The Alpha chassis is a dream around corners and so predictable.

Which one puts the power down better from a dig and slow rolls?
I would think the ZL1.

If either one of these vehicles were a manual, which manual in either car did you prefer and why?
The Manual in the ZL1 is a TR6060, delicious and preferable to me.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:29 AM   #4
Exia
Exia

Drives: '23 Corvette Z06/Z07 & '22 2SS 1LE
I own both a C7 Z06 and a ZLE, both are manuals.

Both are a different experience since my ZL1 has the 1LE package a regular ZL1 vs a Z06 would be a better comparison and hopefully someone else has that experience and can chime in.

Z06 is the better daily in my opinion, even if I had a regular ZL1 I'd pick the Z06 to daily. The ergonomics of a Camaro are average at best so everything about the interior layout of the Corvette is better, better visibility as well makes it a better daily and the Corvette is smaller however both are probably just as comfortable so the edge goes to the Z06 but the ZL1 will still do fine.

In a straight line the Z06 is obviously better, but the difference is negligible on the street, you won't notice 0.2 of a second.

Confidence for me goes to the ZL1, not that the Z06 isn't good but the Z06 has a tendency to bite you if you push it past its limits where as the ZL1 is more controlled past the limit. If you aren't reaching the limit I prefer the Z06 for corner carving.

Manual vs manual the ZL1 is better, not from a feel perspective but because 7 gears is just a little awkward vs 6. I also like ZL1 shifter itself better but the Z06 Tremec isn't bad, its basically a ZL1 gearbox with an extra cog as far as I'm concerned when driving either. The Corvette also has a much higher clutch bite point compared to the ZL1.

I'd never switch from my Z06 to a ZL1 if I could only have one, however there's something to be said about the ZL1s performance for 20-30k less then a Z06. Can't go wrong with 20k in your pocket and a ZL1 over a Z06, I'd just still pick the Z06.

As a note I'm a novice driver so I'll never get the Z06 to the point of overheating on a track.

Last edited by Exia; 10-29-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Exia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #5
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
I was on the fence about buying a C7 Z06 vs a ZL1 and what did it for me was the complaints about overheating in the C7 Z06, the inferior A8 trans vs the A10 trans in the ZL1. Cost obviously helped since I just can't see paying $15-20K more for a Z06 that performs no better than the ZL1. I chose the ZL1, pocketed that money saved, added mods to the ZL1 to make it an even better performer. I have less money in my ZL1 than a C7 Z06 and it will absolutely destroy a C7 Z06 on a drag strip or road course. I'm a huge fan of the Z06 as evident by my username, I've owned a C5 Z06 in the past but the ZL1 is just too much bang for the buck to ignore and with the superior transmission too just seals the deal. There's just way too much cost difference between these two platforms for the minimal to no performance difference.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:19 PM   #6
KamZL1

Drives: ZL1
^Exact reason i went with my zl1, I honestly don't think there ever has been a better bang for your buck produced
KamZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:48 PM   #7
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I have not driven a Z06 on track but have run with many over years, I've done many events on several tracks in my ZLE. I'm not a great driver but I'm capable of top 5 times in advanced group on given day and know what it feels like at ~8/10s. I love my ZLE on track but it took time to get comfortable, based on what I've seen and heard I don't think I'd feel this way about a C7 Z06.

My coach Jeff Cook had a ZLE and set fastest laps in country in this, and compared it to Z06 as well as GT3 RS and other true exotics his clients let him drive. For reference, Jeff ran a 1:30 at Laguna in his stock MP4 12C.

Like others here have said... Jeff concluded that the Z06 was slightly faster for him (1-2 seconds) maybe due to weight and aero, but the ZLE is more forgiving and puts power down better. He's such a good driver he can easily handle the Z06 oversteer, average driver it's a big risk at the limit and I'm sure I would wreck it :-) And yes the overheat issue was the first deal-breaker, taking it off the table for me way before the ZLE launch.

Last edited by SFV1LE; 10-29-2021 at 02:00 PM.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #8
10mm
Account Suspended

Drives: My wife nuts...
Amazing the ZL1 is 300+lbs heavier than a ZO6
and the consensus is its probably the better car for $20k less

Gen 6's are so underrated/ underappreciated
They will age well when they are no more
10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:16 PM   #9
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Both are awesome but I tend to be a price/performance buyer and the ZL1 comes loaded up already with about the same performance for quite a bit less.

If getting an auto, the A10 is better. The ZL1 also puts the LT4 power down better. There are lots of reviews on this but really only becomes an issue if you really push the car as the ZL1 is better at the limit.

It really comes down to styling and what you like but for the money the ZL1 can't be beat. You can go Hellcat, they cost more and don't handle as well. If you go Mustang you need to go GT500 and good luck on the price on that. By the time you add the Recaros and tech package you are at $80k+ and that assume no markup.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:20 PM   #10
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
Gen 6's are so underrated/ underappreciated
They will age well when they are no more
I have been wondering what will happen in a few years when EVs take center stage if our cars will be appreciated or ostracized.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:30 AM   #11
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Thank you everyone for your feedback, this was great info. If anyone also has a regular ZL1 to compare to the vette as far as handling goes that would be great also.

Those of you that mentioned about the overheating on the vette, was that only on the 15 and 16 models? Have they took care that issue in the 2017 and up models?

I've also heard it was only in the automatics and not the manuals. Is that true?

Also some of you mentioned the vette's chasis isn't able to handle the power of the LT4 like the ZL1. Simply curious to know what you guys ment by that as I'm little confused? Thanks
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:01 AM   #12
Exia
Exia

Drives: '23 Corvette Z06/Z07 & '22 2SS 1LE
Overheating occurs on track when pushing the car hard in ambient temps over 80 degrees. It is primarily the automatics but it can happen to the manuals. 2017+ models added a different lid to increase cooling and an auxiliary radiator, however these changes help the manual more so then the auto as they also adjusted the geometry on the manual cars to keep temps down (they weren't able to do this with auto cars).

Here's a post on the changes.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rovements.html

If you plan to track a Z06 I'd get a 17-19 in manual. If you don't plan on tracking get whatever model year you want, you won't have issues on the street.

In relation to what people are talking about in terms of the chassis, basically the car is poor at communicating what its doing at the limits compared to the Camaro and struggles to put the power down in comparison. This is something thats been said in recent years (when the Z06 came out nobody was complaining about this). This really only matters if you plan on pushing the car, I have no issues with my Z06 on the street when it comes to this "Chassis can't handle the power", a regular Joe like you or me will not tell the difference, we aren't all Randy Pobst. If you aren't tracking the car don't worry about what chassis the vehicle is on, buy the one you like for your needs.
Exia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:12 AM   #13
Zone5

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Dodge TRX
I had a C7 ZO6 and now have a ZL1 (non 1LE). The ZL1 is a very forgiving car, in spite of having tremendous performance. I love the way my ZL1 handles. It's easy to put the power down too.

My C7 ZO6 was a car that was a bit more unpredictable at the limit, and in a slip angle, on the street. I never tracked my C7 ZO6 because I had previously raced in SCCA for 15 years and didn't want to abuse my new expensive toy. The supercharger was great for the street, but I didn't want to risk overheating it on the road-course. Plus, even lapping is just so hard on the brakes, I relished my hard brake pedal and didn't want it to soften up.

Compared to the C7 ZO6, I think the ZL1 is the better all-around car. It's just so easy to drive fast. All that being said, I just put a non-refundable deposit down to get on a list to order a C8 ZO6. I'll probably have to trade the ZL1 in, or sell it. That will be very hard because the car is so freaking good.
Zone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:33 AM   #14
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I was on the fence about buying a C7 Z06 vs a ZL1 and what did it for me was the complaints about overheating in the C7 Z06, the inferior A8 trans vs the A10 trans in the ZL1. Cost obviously helped since I just can't see paying $15-20K more for a Z06 that performs no better than the ZL1. I chose the ZL1, pocketed that money saved, added mods to the ZL1 to make it an even better performer. I have less money in my ZL1 than a C7 Z06 and it will absolutely destroy a C7 Z06 on a drag strip or road course. I'm a huge fan of the Z06 as evident by my username, I've owned a C5 Z06 in the past but the ZL1 is just too much bang for the buck to ignore and with the superior transmission too just seals the deal. There's just way too much cost difference between these two platforms for the minimal to no performance difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamZL1 View Post
^Exact reason i went with my zl1, I honestly don't think there ever has been a better bang for your buck produced
My reasoning too for the getting the ZL1....

I know it wasn't asked by the OP and probably not important as he's mainly performance, the other plus fo me was I think the ZL1 has a meaner yet sexier look to it....
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote