Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 10-26-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
First track day

I finally got to get out for a track day and let the car do what it was born to do. I had an AMAZING time, and the car was rock-solid all day. I was in the novice group and was able to pass a 2015 911 4S a few times so that was cool.

Later in the day I had fun keeping pace with a 2009 Corvette. He pulled away from me on the main straight but I reeled him in by the end of the lap.

The stock tires (same as on the non-1LE SS) did really well. I'm curious if some of the alternatives would be even better for mostly street with ~2 track days a year.

Here are some of my favorite pictures from the day:
Attached Images

Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #2
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Glad you had fun using the the 1LE in the way it is meant to be driven. Nice color BTW!
Which track it this?
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:07 AM   #3
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Glad you had fun using the the 1LE in the way it is meant to be driven. Nice color BTW!
Which track it this?
Raceway park of the Midlands. Outside Omaha NE, Fun little track. Cheap to rent out for a day if you got some buddies to go in on it with you.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:22 AM   #4
redsoxjaz

Drives: 2021 2SS-1LE-A10
Hey @Silent_H_ was your track day on a "Fast Friday" event? I'd be curious to hear how those are operated. I have only been on the Saturday events and they are operated very well by a local Motorsports Team. This Saturday is the final weekend event for the year, I plan to be there with my 1LE.

It really is a fun track and I am glad it's just a 45 minute drive for me. Sounds like it's a bargain too based on what others have said with more track experience.
redsoxjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:23 AM   #5
Silent_H_

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Which track it this?
Thanks! That1guy_tim is right on the track. It's about 2.2 miles, no elevation changes, but also nothing to hit. A bit bumpy in a few spots but overall a fun track. There are 2 sections I was able to get up to about 115 mph so I'm sure an SS would do much more.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:27 AM   #6
Silent_H_

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxjaz View Post
Hey @Silent_H_ was your track day on a "Fast Friday" event? I'd be curious to hear how those are operated. I have only been on the Saturday events and they are operated very well by a local Motorsports Team. This Saturday is the final weekend event for the year, I plan to be there with my 1LE.

It really is a fun track and I am glad it's just a 45 minute drive for me. Sounds like it's a bargain too based on what others have said with more track experience.
It was actually an event put on by the Great Plains Region Porsche Club of America. It was a driver's education event (my novice group had instructors, and there were 2 other run groups). I definitely would like to see how they run the Fast Fridays next year as they seem like a good deal.

Agreed on it being awesome to have a track that close! I hope whoever owns it will be able to fix up the buildings from that flood damage a while back. If my schedule is free enough I'll try to stop by on Saturday to spectate for a bit.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #7
redsoxjaz

Drives: 2021 2SS-1LE-A10
I see, I saw that event but figured it was a Porsche exclusive. I agree on the flood damage, I can only imagine how that place looked before it was under water twice in the past decade.

MPH out in Hastings, NE just announced a resurface of their track but I don't get the feeling that RPM has the capital for anything to improve yet. Maybe a couple more of the lucrative 1320 Video Ice Cream Cruise events will help out on the road side.......
redsoxjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #8
Silent_H_

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxjaz View Post
I see, I saw that event but figured it was a Porsche exclusive. I agree on the flood damage, I can only imagine how that place looked before it was under water twice in the past decade.

MPH out in Hastings, NE just announced a resurface of their track but I don't get the feeling that RPM has the capital for anything to improve yet. Maybe a couple more of the lucrative 1320 Video Ice Cream Cruise events will help out on the road side.......
I thought the same thing, but it turns out the Porsche club is super-inclusive of all cars. Everyone that's part of the club was extremely kind. There were quite a few non-Porsches there, so be sure to keep an eye out in the spring!

I also saw that about MPH and hope to be able to get on that track next year.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:58 PM   #9
ponyboy96

Drives: 2020 ZLE A10, 2018 F250 Diesel
Seat time is the best mod you could do right now. Never enough track time.
ponyboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:42 PM   #10
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Sounds fun OP! I'm doing my 1st track day next Saturday. Very excited to get out there.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:18 AM   #11
Silent_H_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy96 View Post
Seat time is the best mod you could do right now. Never enough track time.
Amen to that! If I end up doing this more often, the only thing I've got in mind is maybe the track alignment.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:19 AM   #12
Silent_H_

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
Sounds fun OP! I'm doing my 1st track day next Saturday. Very excited to get out there.
Awesome! I hope you have as much of a blast as I did!
Old 10-28-2021, 10:34 AM   #13
Silent_H_

Oh one thing I wanted to add: in about 200 miles on track, I burned through about half a quart of the extra quart of oil the manual says to add. I assume that's pretty normal but something to be aware of if you are going to track your V6 1LE.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:05 AM   #14
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Great looking car! the smile on your face in last pic says it all. ;-) Not sure whether to say welcome (to the addiction), or i'm sorry. lol
You're toting around about 300 pounds LESS than the SS folks, and even more than the ZL1. My guess is the 245/275 tire sizes and brand you have are fine for now. Seat time is best. Track alignment probably will help at some point as well. if your addiction deepens enough, you will get into the tire options then. Have fun, be safe and keep it on the black stuff! just my opinion, fwiw.
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote