Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-10-2021, 12:21 PM   #15
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I don't get it. What is wrong with 4 doors? My 2011 TT BMW 3 series Sport was every bit a sports car, but yet had 4 doors.

4 doors make a more practical car and do not have to reduce the sport needle at all.

If Chevy made a 4 door LT1 model I would have chosen that, but I imagine I am in the minority. If something stretches our preconceived notions that is not a bad thing to me Flame suit on!
There was the SS Sedan.

I don't think people have a problem with sports cars with 4 doors.

They have a problem putting iconic names on to cars with 4 doors, or SUVs, or electric garbage. I still hate the Charger name on a 4 door sedan. Doesn't belong.

A Mustang is a 2 door, 4 seat sports car with an internal combustion gasoline engine. Even in straight 6 or 4 cylinder guise. It's a 2 door, 4 seater, that is available with a manual transmission. Nothing else is, has been, nor ever will be a real Mustang.

Same for Camaro.

The BMW 3 Series has always been available as a sedan, and it's always been a sporty car as a sedan even in base non-M form.

That's the difference.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:40 PM   #16
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
There was the SS Sedan.

I don't think people have a problem with sports cars with 4 doors.

They have a problem putting iconic names on to cars with 4 doors, or SUVs, or electric garbage. I still hate the Charger name on a 4 door sedan. Doesn't belong.

A Mustang is a 2 door, 4 seat sports car with an internal combustion gasoline engine. Even in straight 6 or 4 cylinder guise. It's a 2 door, 4 seater, that is available with a manual transmission. Nothing else is, has been, nor ever will be a real Mustang.

Same for Camaro.

The BMW 3 Series has always been available as a sedan, and it's always been a sporty car as a sedan even in base non-M form.

That's the difference.
Exactly. I think this represents many of our thoughts very well. Throwing a 3 series into this argument of "right" or "wrong" is totally irrelevant. Also, a base 3 series is not sporty IMO.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:51 PM   #17
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Exactly. I think this represents many of our thoughts very well. Throwing a 3 series into this argument of "right" or "wrong" is totally irrelevant. Also, a base 3 series is not sporty IMO.
They needed to bring the SS nameplate to a Chevy version of the ATS-V. When I first bought my SS I looked into used ones. Holy sticker shock Bat man.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:15 PM   #18
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Ford is going to Mustang everything like Chevy SS'd everything

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:16 PM   #19
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Anyone remember the Malibu SS amd Maxx SS

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:16 PM   #20
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
This isn't a new idea... Porsche did it, and last time I checked thats working out ok for them. Though, I guess at least they gave the Panamera a different name.

911XL would have sucked.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #21
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
They needed to bring the SS nameplate to a Chevy version of the ATS-V. When I first bought my SS I looked into used ones. Holy sticker shock Bat man.
I've always liked the CTS-V's, but you're talking a minimum of mid-$60k's for a decent used one. I'm almost wondering if you aren't thinking of them...the ATS-V's have the twin turbo 6 cylinder that I can recall. The CTS-V's have the 6.2 SC (at least the ones I have looked at). I've had a potent V6 TT in the past...awesome for what they are, but it doesn't replace the large displacement for me.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:20 PM   #22
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
I can't be too mad about it. I wish GM would make a Chevrolet performance sedan. The Cadillac is huge desire for me, but way too much money for the general public.

BK
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #23
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
This isn't a new idea... Porsche did it, and last time I checked thats working out ok for them. Though, I guess at least they gave the Panamera a different name.

911XL would have sucked.
Correct. Porsche introduced something entirely new - THAT is the difference. One of the few times we can actually discuss Porsche and Ford/Mustang in the same sentence.

The 911 is an amazing machine, with great history. The same could be said for the Mustang with Ford (in relation to tarnishing the brand). I wish Porsche didn't get rid of the sweet sound flat 6. Now when the time comes of me actually getting into a 911, I'll have one that sounds like a vacuum.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #24
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Well, in their defense, it does look to have enough ground clearance to roll over the bodies at a cars & coffee event.
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #25
zaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandanK View Post
I can't be too mad about it. I wish GM would make a Chevrolet performance sedan. The Cadillac is huge desire for me, but way too much money for the general public.

BK
They did. They introduced the "SS" sedan and it was basically a giant flop.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #26
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Ford is going to Mustang everything like Chevy SS'd everything
It's already happening. They are starting to spin Mustang and Bronco off into sub brands.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:33 PM   #27
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Yeah...saw this news earlier today. I guess using the Mustang name as a sub-brand and splattering it across multiple models might be good from a name recognition and a potential profitability standpoint...but I still don't like it much lol. Lets not forget the hybrid (not a surprise) and AWD news also.

Nobody has issues with a muscular 4 door car. I wish there were more of them at affordable options like the Challenger. People say the SS sedan was a failure. Maybe so, but I say it didn't sell so well because it was basically limited in availability, only offered in one trim (basically loaded) which meant it was pricey, and while I don't hate the look, it was kind of a glorified Malibu in the looks department. When I bought my 1SS Camaro in late 2015, they had fire-sales on left over SS sedans that were going for basically the same price or less than what I paid for my 1SS with a few options. It didn't really catch my interest much, due to the style and also the fact that it was running an LS3 versus the LT1 and the 6 speed versus the 8 speed. I wanted that new 6th gen Camaro bad! (still have it fyi)

Have you guys seen what decent used SS sedans go for these days?! (also throw in Pontiac G8s with the V8 and especially the GXPs). If I could go back, I'd slap myself, buy the SS sedan, and then modify it to make it meaner looking (even more so due the fact that I have two young kids...luckily my Camaro isn't my daily driver). It would be worth more now than what I had paid for it new back then.

What GM really could use now are some more muscular SUV and truck options.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:38 PM   #28
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
So... this?
Attached Images

Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote