Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-20-2020, 05:56 AM   #1
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Wanting SS or LT1 Upgrade- Operating Cost?

I find myself wanting a V8 muscle car with manual transmission. I was going to keep my V6 1LT manual transmission Camaro forever- I just miss the low end torque, power and sound of the V8.

So my options are low mileage used 1SS, a new LT1, used older Corvette or other older muscle car. I don't need any options other than V8 and rowing the gears. I love to drive, drive with the windows down, hear the engine rev, shift through the gears, feel the acceleration. My phone is in my pocket, and that is where it stays until I stop and park. Basic music on only on trips. I don't really care about tracking, super stereo, leather seats, etc. My current 1LT Camaro is very luxurious to me.

So, being close to retirement I worry somewhat about operating cost and insurance if I upgrade. My 2016 1LT is dirt cheap to run and insure. But you only live once- and to experience the V8 seems to be amazing to me.

Has anyone else made the upgrade from a turbo 4 or V6 to an SS or LT1? Difference in insurance and gas consumption (with the SS or LT1 taking premium which is about 1.00 more a gallon).

I have the option of also going with an older Corvette also- I am not sure if the insurance would it be lower or higher than a Camaro? I read somewhere that convertible Corvettes are low to insure?
Old 11-20-2020, 06:16 AM   #2
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
My Ins was cheaper in a 2013 C6 vs my 2015 Gt Stang when i traded in 2017.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:26 AM   #3
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
I was always quoted higher insurance rates on the corvette compared to a v8 camaro. I've never owned a 4 or 6 cylinder camaro but I have driven both and currently own '20 LT1 purchased new. Like yourself, I was also considering a used 1ss, used stingray, or even a c6 grand sport. I must have gone to see nearly 30 of these used sports cars and ALL of them had some type of drive train issue (I was only shopping manual transmission equipped). I would either find slop, 2nd and or 3rd gears grinds, differential groan, clutch slip, hydraulic malfunction (sinking or soggy clutch pedal), or some combination of these. I attributed these issues of abuse caused by inexperienced manual drivers. So I stopped shopping used and started shopping new. The new 1SS was slightly out of financial reach, so I started to look at the LT1s. Found 2 stripped no options at a local delear. They had been sitting in the lot for over 10 months since they arrived, no one was interested in them. I decided to test drive one at the end of March this year when delears were not selling due to covid. I was one of 2 customers at a high volume chevy dealer which is usually assisting 10-20 prospective buyers at any one time. Long story short, I walked out with a spanking new v8 LT1 camaro in the $29k range. Worked out wonderfully.

I say go for the v8, fuel is cheap right now, maybe you take a small hit with insurance over a v6, but I believe it will be worth it. Be careful buying used, no one babies a manual sports car. Best of luck to you.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:59 AM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
An LT1 would be a good choice for you as compared to a 1SS or 2SS in my opinion. You can get a few options on a LT1 if you order new or you can look for a used 1SS or 2SS but as was said, buying a used manual SS might not be a good idea due to people’s driving habits. You could possibly find a 2018 or 2019 used SS with lower mileage but the prices might still be on the high side. I upgraded from a 2016 2SS to a very low mileage used 2017 ZL1 last year and couldn’t be happier. My insurance actually went down on the ZL1. Before you buy call your insurance company and get some rates on a 1SS, 2SS or a Corvette to compare with what your V6 is currently. I think you will find that insuring a Corvette is more expensive than a Camaro because of the car being a Corvette. When I found my 2017 ZL1 on Cars.com last year it had a few options that I wanted even though I was considering getting a new 2019 1SS 1LE at the time. The price was decent and it had less than 500 miles so I went with the ZL1. Do searches on the car selling websites and see what you can find that you would like and you might find a jewel like I did! Good luck!
Old 11-20-2020, 07:06 AM   #5
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
When I was shopping for my Camaro, I gave my insurance agent some VINs from cars that were online. There was no different in insurance rate between a LT1 and a SS. I will also note that my insurance went DOWN on my 2020 LT1 Camaro vs my 2019 Chevy Malibu that I had right before my Camaro.

I get about 23mpg average with the 10spd auto. The 6spd manual will probably get slightly less according to GM.

If you are looking for an "affordable" V8, 6spd car, a new LT1 is a fierce competitor; especially since you wont be paying the extra cost for the 10spd auto.

Brandan
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:13 AM   #6
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
In 2016 I did what you want. I bought a basic 1SS 6MT with the only options being NPP (dual mode exhaust) and grey split spoke wheels (both well worth the extra money). Get the NPP if you can. Perfect exhaust for me - loud when I want it and quiet otherwise. I'm over having a loud car all the time! Now to your question. Here are the things that will cost you more to run a SS or LT1 versus your current V6:

- Fuel - premium grade and lower mpg. I have a lifetime average of 20.9 mpg with 29.5 k miles driven. In my area 93 octane runs .50 more per gallon

-Oil - The LT1 engine needs 10 quarts of full synthetic.

- Tires - A RWD vehicle with 455 ft. lbs. of torque is not a recipe for long lasting tires. I do not do long smoking burnouts and the rears last around 15-18K miles. The fronts will go 20K plus.

- Insurance - It might be higher but there are too many other variables (company, driving record, location -etc.) for me to give you a number. For what its worth - my wife's 2018 Kia Sorento costs more to insure than my Camaro

Those are the major things I can think of for now.

All said - the only reasons there in a Camaro SS in my garage are:
- it looks awesome
- it sounds awesome
- it is fast
- it turns really well
- Oh and its a V8 with a manual transmission.

Enough said! Go get one - the smiles will out weigh the costs.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #7
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
^^^^^^
I agree 100% with SSDan.
The NPP exhaust is a MUST! I get more comments on the exhaust tone than anything.
One other item worth noting is that regular sound system performs well, but the Bose Option at $900 is a steal in my opinion. Both are on my car. My car also came with the Recaro seats, which are not worth the $1,500 for me; the car was otherwise what I wanted, so I didn't contest.

BK
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #8
JT58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
I was always quoted higher insurance rates on the corvette compared to a v8 camaro. I've never owned a 4 or 6 cylinder camaro but I have driven both and currently own '20 LT1 purchased new. Like yourself, I was also considering a used 1ss, used stingray, or even a c6 grand sport. I must have gone to see nearly 30 of these used sports cars and ALL of them had some type of drive train issue (I was only shopping manual transmission equipped). I would either find slop, 2nd and or 3rd gears grinds, differential groan, clutch slip, hydraulic malfunction (sinking or soggy clutch pedal), or some combination of these. I attributed these issues of abuse caused by inexperienced manual drivers. So I stopped shopping used and started shopping new. The new 1SS was slightly out of financial reach, so I started to look at the LT1s. Found 2 stripped no options at a local delear. They had been sitting in the lot for over 10 months since they arrived, no one was interested in them. I decided to test drive one at the end of March this year when delears were not selling due to covid. I was one of 2 customers at a high volume chevy dealer which is usually assisting 10-20 prospective buyers at any one time. Long story short, I walked out with a spanking new v8 LT1 camaro in the $29k range. Worked out wonderfully.

I say go for the v8, fuel is cheap right now, maybe you take a small hit with insurance over a v6, but I believe it will be worth it. Be careful buying used, no one babies a manual sports car. Best of luck to you.
I was kind of in the market for a truck back when Covid stopped everything in May time frame and dealers were desperate to sell. I landed my brand new 2019 Silverado 4WD truck for an unheard of only 28K. And it has the 5.3. It was timing, just like when you got your Camaro.

My V6 Camaro is a sweet car- not abused- no burnouts ever, shift so awesome. Only 18K miles. Has Stance forged 20" wheels. I want to trade it. I'll look for some LT1's- I think there are some in Miami. Very hard to find manuals around here.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #9
JT58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandanK View Post
^^^^^^
I agree 100% with SSDan.
The NPP exhaust is a MUST! I get more comments on the exhaust tone than anything.
One other item worth noting is that regular sound system performs well, but the Bose Option at $900 is a steal in my opinion. Both are on my car. My car also came with the Recaro seats, which are not worth the $1,500 for me; the car was otherwise what I wanted, so I didn't contest.

BK
I totally agree- I will make sure it has it. I spent over 1K trying to get my V6 exhaust sounding "good". Finally have it sounding OK with dual Flowmasters but it's no V8.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #10
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Insurance is impossible to compare, my SS went DOWN from my Mustang GT, almost $100/6 months. GF's Jeep went UP from her Challanger. When she moved in with me (cross state lines) the Jeep went up again. It's a bizarre clown world with insurance rates.
I know they like to run credit and credit scores can impact your rates and deductibles.
I'd want to say certainly 4/6 to V8 would be an increase but it's too crazy to know without you getting quotes.
WhiteMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #11
Ox45
Hillbilly Highness

Drives: 2001 S10, 2022 LT1 Vert
From a 2019 1LT to a 2020 LT1:

Insurance went down slightly!

Gas milage is down, but I used to put non Ethanol in the 1LT, so 93 octane is actually cheaper here than 87 NoEth.

Get the LT1. I REALLY liked the V6, but the V8 is more fun... And I am not even through with break in yet! The V6 is more than enough for any daily driving and weekend fun. The V8 is just an incredible experience!

Ox.

Ox.

Last edited by Ox45; 11-20-2020 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Correction
Ox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #12
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
You can't go wrong with any big V8 with an exhaust that doesn't muffle the beautiful sound. NPP is a MUST, unless you plan to get an aftermarket system anyway. I test drove a Camaro 1SS just to get a feel for the car before I made the trek to purchase a 2SS. I no sooner pulled out of the dealer lot and I knew for certain the non-NPP Camaro was not going to work for me, it was an absolute deal killer. So I then I had to not only find a manual 2SS that fit all of my other criteria, but I added NPP to the list as well.

As for insurance - it is good fun and discussion for the thread, but the feedback really has no benefit to you. Insurance can/does greatly vary by individual, location, etc., etc. I will say that the car loves to drink fuel and you will go through tires. Those expenses are to be expected, given the size of the motor and driving style.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #13
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
I had 2012 V6 and a 2016 V6 for 9 years combined when I test drove a LT1. I knew how those cars ran pretty well. As soon as I drove the LT1 I was hooked. It sounds the way it should and the power increase is enormous.

The higher insurance and premium fuel price really aren't the issue as much as the higher car payment is on the LT1. That's what makes the budgeting tough for me. My commute is only 18 miles a day so fuel cost isn't any big deal.

I think its worth it but once you get the final price from the dealership salesman, really crunch the numbers and maybe make sure to leave yourself room to enjoy life in other ways than just when you're behind the wheel lol.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #14
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
I didn't get nearly the same 29K deal others mention here, BUT i got a 2021 LT1 and came from a turbo 4 Subaru STI. The power is night and day different. The STi was rated at 305hp, i think the Camaro or V6 are rated to 335hp.

However, 445HP and Torque are way way different than either of those numbers on the street.

The LT1 is everything i wanted with a few nice upgrades. I negotiated heated red leather interior, it already had the 8" screen and Bose, plus the black wheels and bowties, brembo fronts.

Never looking back.
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote