Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
*&%(^% Screws!!!!

Decided to go for a nice drive today but by the time I hit the end of our 600 foot driveway the TPMS light came on and said left rear was at 12 psi. Turn around and go back home and pull into the workshop. My hand detected a screw on the tire right in the middle of the tread.
Go online and again I read the proper jacking procedure for the 6th gen. Remove the wheel and clean up the hole and run a patch into it. All seems well as the plug is holding.
Managed to spin a negative into a positive for several reasons:
Learned the wheel lug size is 22 mm
The wheel torque is 140
And nothing is rubbing inside the wheel well as far as the tire or wiring harness.

If it leaks air will take it in for an inside patch. If it holds then I am OK as I plan on installing Michelin PS4's later this year.

Cheers, now I am going for a ride
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #2
bobfic

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I see you have 2020, I learned most of what you mentioned few weeks ago on my 2019 when I pulled each tire for cleaning and ceramic sealant on the rims. Good Luck on plug patch...
bobfic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:59 PM   #3
ohsmily

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE A10 ShadowGrayMetallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
Decided to go for a nice drive today but by the time I hit the end of our 600 foot driveway the TPMS light came on and said left rear was at 12 psi. Turn around and go back home and pull into the workshop. My hand detected a screw on the tire right in the middle of the tread.
Go online and again I read the proper jacking procedure for the 6th gen. Remove the wheel and clean up the hole and run a patch into it. All seems well as the plug is holding.
Managed to spin a negative into a positive for several reasons:
Learned the wheel lug size is 22 mm
The wheel torque is 140
And nothing is rubbing inside the wheel well as far as the tire or wiring harness.

If it leaks air will take it in for an inside patch. If it holds then I am OK as I plan on installing Michelin PS4's later this year.

Cheers, now I am going for a ride
Is a patch sufficient on a performance tire/car like ours. I mean I know you wouldn't track with a parched tire but is a patch even OK for spirited street driving?
ohsmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:20 PM   #4
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
Is a patch sufficient on a performance tire/car like ours. I mean I know you wouldn't track with a parched tire but is a patch even OK for spirited street driving?
I have plugged tires on all 4 of the Corvettes I owned and now the ZL1 as well. None ever failed to hold air. If I were tracking the car or running triple digit speeds on a regular basis would have a patch put on inside the tire.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #5
az4783054

Drives: SWXXZL1
I've been told by tire 'experts' that a plug patch is preferable on performance tires. It's a combination of a plug for the penetration and a patch. Looks like a mushroom.
az4783054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:07 PM   #6
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Put new tires on mine last week, and one of my old front tires had a screw in(center) it, the head was smooth from wear, but it never leaked so my tire pressure never changed ! Side note one tire had cords showing from the factory track alignment, the car never gave me a problem, but 3 wheels were off just a tad, and the front right was way off the mark.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote