Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-12-2020, 08:35 PM   #29
oklahomaguy

Drives: camaro ss
OP, I had my 2017 Camaro RS auto for just over a year and then traded for my current 2018 Camaro SS. I really liked the V6. The engine was smooth and high reviving. I like my SS, but for daily driving, I don’t even come close to using the cars full potential. The RS was actually more fun to drive. Don’t believe the hype that you have to have a V8, at least for a daily driver.
oklahomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #30
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklahomaguy View Post
OP, I had my 2017 Camaro RS auto for just over a year and then traded for my current 2018 Camaro SS. I really liked the V6. The engine was smooth and high reviving. I like my SS, but for daily driving, I don’t even come close to using the cars full potential. The RS was actually more fun to drive. Don’t believe the hype that you have to have a V8, at least for a daily driver.
Who said he had to have a V8? It's just personal preference. I just know myself and a couple others, one being a V6 owner, was curious as to what the exact reason from going from a C7 to a V6 camaro was. As long as it gets you from A to B, that's all that matters to most. Mine isn't my DD by any means. My DDs are a 2004 Sentra and a 2009 Rogue. I don't care what anyone drives. I just personally love nice cars in general. Be it 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16 cylinders, if they take care of it, I like it and can talk with them about it. I built mine like I did because I wanted a 6th gen for around half the price of a ZL1, but with over twice the power of one. And when I want to use that power, I do. Just personal preference like I said. I like the V6 Camaro. The 6th gen that is. Isn't the full potential of a V6 155 mph though? Do you guys drive around at 155 on the streets often?
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:35 PM   #31
oklahomaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Carbon View Post
Who said he had to have a V8? It's just personal preference. I just know myself and a couple others, one being a V6 owner, was curious as to what the exact reason from going from a C7 to a V6 camaro was. As long as it gets you from A to B, that's all that matters to most. Mine isn't my DD by any means. My DDs are a 2004 Sentra and a 2009 Rogue. I don't care what anyone drives. I just personally love nice cars in general. Be it 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16 cylinders, if they take care of it, I like it and can talk with them about it. I built mine like I did because I wanted a 6th gen for around half the price of a ZL1, but with over twice the power of one. And when I want to use that power, I do. Just personal preference like I said. I like the V6 Camaro. The 6th gen that is. Isn't the full potential of a V6 155 mph though? Do you guys drive around at 155 on the streets often?
I wasn’t even replying to any of your posts, in fact, I didn’t even read your post before I posted. I was replying to OP’s. I was simply relating my experience with both the V8 and V6 Camaro.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:48 PM   #32
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Quote:
I wasn’t even replying to any of your posts, in fact, I didn’t even read your post before I posted. I was replying to OP’s. I was simply relating my experience with both the V8 and V6 Camaro.
That's cool. I was just wondering who said you need a V8
Old 06-12-2020, 09:50 PM   #33
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
I really really liked my 17 V6 RS with a manual. Great car all around and a huge bargain. Think of it this way - what if Nissan, Toyota, or even Porsche came out with a car that had the Alpha chassis with a 335HP NA V6 that sounds really good, revs high, has a manual trans and can use regular unleaded. It would be considered a giant killer!

That said, I traded my V6 for a 20 LT1. If Chevy didn't come out with the LT1 (and the rally green color) I would have kept the V6. I love the sound of the V8 too much, and the torque is fun. The TR6060 is good but I think the 3160 shifts slightly smoother.

The only problem with the V6 is that the LT1 V8 exists!
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #34
oklahomaguy

Quote:
That's cool. I was just wondering who said you need a V8
Nobody on this post. It seems to be a common sentiment on Mustang, Camaro, Mopar forums. I was simply agreeing with OP that I really like the V6 and sometimes I think I made a mistake by trading for the SS.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:09 PM   #35
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Quote:
Nobody on this post. It seems to be a common sentiment on Mustang, Camaro, Mopar forums. I was simply agreeing with OP that I really like the V6 and sometimes I think I made a mistake by trading for the SS.
Oh I got you, I just thought you meant on this thread. Yeah, back when I had a v6 mustang there were always the little gang of "You need 2 more cylinders! You must have a vag!" guys on the mustang forums. It was annoying and dumb.

This isn't car related, but I went from a 73" to a 92" TV and regretted it. Just a bigger isn't always better scenario. But I definitely love my SS over that Mustang V6. That was 16 years ago. I had 2 15" and 2 12" subs in it, big chrome rims. I made a 192hp car weigh MUCH more than it should have. It was like drive a bus. But I wanted more show than go back then. Under-body light kit... the whole ricer makeover. I would shoot myself if I did that now.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:20 PM   #36
oklahomaguy

Quote:
Oh I got you, I just thought you meant on this thread. Yeah, back when I had a v6 mustang there were always the little gang of "You need 2 more cylinders! You must have a vag!" guys on the mustang forums. It was annoying and dumb.

This isn't car related, but I went from a 73" to a 92" TV and regretted it. Just a bigger isn't always better scenario. But I definitely love my SS over that Mustang V6. That was 16 years ago. I had 2 15" and 2 12" subs in it, big chrome rims. I made a 192hp car weigh MUCH more than it should have. It was like drive a bus. But I wanted more show than go back then. Under-body light kit... the whole ricer makeover. I would shoot myself if I did that now.
Yeah, before I bought the Camaro RS, I had a yellow Mustang EB PP. Really liked that car but AC evaporators were crapping out for 2015 models, so I switched to Camaro. I must say Camaro suspension is much better. Funnest car was 1993 LX 5.0 hatchback 5 speed. I think only 225 hp, but was a blast to drive. Ironically my Mustang EB would have smoked the LX. Good time to be a car guy.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #37
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:

I haven't seen many of the "V8 or nothing" crowd on these forums, and I don't remember it being bad on the Mustang forums when I kept up with those. Facebook, on the other hand, is cancer. I remember posting there and it was almost all "why would you get a non-V8" or that the Focus ST that I traded in was a better car. Really put me off to the Camaro community on day 1.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:24 AM   #38
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I haven't seen many of the "V8 or nothing" crowd on these forums, and I don't remember it being bad on the Mustang forums when I kept up with those. Facebook, on the other hand, is cancer. I remember posting there and it was almost all "why would you get a non-V8" or that the Focus ST that I traded in was a better car. Really put me off to the Camaro community on day 1.
There's the occasional douche here, just like in the real world, but overall I agree that camaro6 is pretty good in this respect. I also see how facebook and the like tend to get out of control, I just stay away from it as much as possible.

The LGX is a great engine indeed and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the 6th gen V6, I had one as well, its handling is great with the lower weight and the gas mileage is an outstanding cherry on top.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:17 AM   #39
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I can believe that. Facebook is cancer for a lot reasons, that is yet another one. It was in 2004 when I had that V6 Mustang, and where I got the "Your V6 is slow and sounds like garbage. V8 for life!" crowd was on a forum that was intended for all mustang owners. I later went to a V6 only one and of course everyone was much cooler about it.

But the 6th gen V6 Camaro is definitely a fun car. It feels quicker than I thought it would for sure and it was stock. I'm guessing I would probably be surprised in the same fashion by the 2.0.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:32 PM   #40
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
Why the Camaro vs the C7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
IWhat made you go from a C7 to a V6 Camaro if I may ask? I'm sure you've gotten a question like this before lol

My C7 was 6 yrs old this year, bought it new when the model first came out, time for a change. I don't like the C8, looks like it was designed by a committee. Too many lines, rectangles etc.. Had waited to see what it looked like before deciding what to get next. If I liked it that would have replaced the C7. My wife hated the look of the C8, I didn't hate it but it just didn't say buy me, on the other hand we both loved the look of the C7. I have had a few different sports cars over the years.

We had two Camaro's previously , one a Z28 with a T roof back in the 70's when we started dating and a hard top in the 80's later married so I suggested we look at the convertibles as an alternative to the C8. Took her out to a dealership and she loved the Vert. I really liked the style as well, little more room in it.

The C7 was a great car but not sure I needed 465hp any more, hardly ever kicked it down as tickets are too much hassle. The Camaro has a comfort factor the C7 lacked with more room. This vehicle much faster than the Z28 I had so doesn't feel lacking in the performance either. I didn't like the fact the SS comes with summer only tires which is a pain in the butt if you live in Canada. My C7 had summer only as well, below 50F they got really slippery. So I opted for the V6 RS, got the performance exhaust it has a nice sound to it. Have the 3LT interior in this car so don't feel like it was a step backwards, the Camaro just an all around beautiful car, the C8 not so much. Once we made up our minds I ordered the Camaro in January, glad I did, had it in March. Built just before the plant shut down for Covid. Probably don't get as many thumbs up and remarks about it as the C7 but that's no big deal , GM did a fine job on this car.
Attached Images

2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible

Last edited by CamaroRSOnt; 06-13-2020 at 12:46 PM.
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #41
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRSOnt View Post
My C7 was 6 yrs old this year, bought it new when the model first came out, time for a change. I don't like the C8, looks like it was designed by a committee. Too many lines, rectangles etc.. Had waited to see what it looked like before deciding what to get next. If I liked it that would have replaced the C7. My wife hated the look of the C8, I didn't hate it but it just didn't say buy me, on the other hand we both loved the look of the C7. I have had a few different sports cars over the years.

We had two Camaro's previously , one a Z28 with a T roof back in the 70's when we started dating and a hard top in the 80's later married so I suggested we look at the convertibles as an alternative to the C8. Took her out to a dealership and she loved the Vert. I really liked the style as well, little more room in it.

The C7 was a great car but not sure I needed 465hp any more, hardly ever kicked it down as tickets are too much hassle. The Camaro has a comfort factor the C7 lacked with more room. This vehicle much faster than the Z28 I had so doesn't feel lacking in the performance either. I didn't like the fact the SS comes with summer only tires which is a pain in the butt if you live in Canada. My C7 had summer only as well, below 50F they got really slippery. So I opted for the V6 RS, got the performance exhaust it has a nice sound to it. Have the 3LT interior in this car so don't feel like it was a step backwards, the Camaro just an all around beautiful car, the C8 not so much. Once we made up our minds I ordered the Camaro in January, glad I did, had it in March. Built just before the plant shut down for Covid. Probably don't get as many thumbs up and remarks about it as the C7 but that's no big deal , GM did a fine job on this car.

Right on. In your case I can see how the V6 was better suited for you at this point. Certainly nothing wrong with that
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #42
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Right on. In your case I can see how the V6 was better suited for you at this point. Certainly nothing wrong with that

Yup different stage of the game for us at our age. Driven lots of fast cars over the years, foreign and NA, still have a supercharged Solstice. I almost bought a Vette when I bought my first Camaro the Z28 at 20. Only reason I didn't was the Vette was bright yellow , couldn't get past the color.

Reality is these cars have come so far , the handling is so good , the efficiency of the engines and HP output that most of us don't have the driving skills to handle the higher end stuff. Do you really need 650hp and 0-60 in 2.5 seconds? Been there, done that for the most part. My C7 was fun to drive but change is good to.

Funny one of my younger neighbours was over admiring my Camaro a couple of weeks ago, mentioned he had a 1991 Z28 before he got married. Telling me he loved that car , it was very fast. He wondered why I didn't opt for the SS, get the big engine. Said no need with this V6, 335 HP, likely more powerful than that Z28 he had. No way he said, so pulled my phone out and looked it up, his year of Z28 was 230 HP, ran 0-60 in 6.3 seconds, this one supposed to do it in 5 seconds. Progress ! I bet that 1991 was a dog on the track as well, cornering back then wasn't a priority. This Camaro actually handles quite well.

https://autowise.com/fastest-camaro/

Read a article the other day that rated the fastest top 10 production Camaro's every built, the V6 came in number 6. Good enough for this old guy lol
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible

Last edited by CamaroRSOnt; 06-13-2020 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Add in link to article
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote