Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
JLz06

Drives: Chevy Camaro
GM Performance Intake - Has anyone seen the tune that comes with it?

I bought my 2018 SS 1LE as a CPO and it came with the GM Performance Intake. I have read some people have had bad experiences with that intake and seeing power loss. Anyone know why exactly that is? Is it that the wrong tune was done by the dealer? I would have thought that the tune would be a pre-configured file they just flash the ecu with. Has anyone compared that tune to the stock tune? My theory is that maybe GM is pulling timing to counteract any increase of airflow so that there is no net power gain and therefore no potential warranty issues.

I own HP tuners so I could check it and compare to a stock car but I am concerned if interacting with it would be logged and void the warranty.
1999 Carrera
1998 Camaro Z28
JLz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I would bet that the only thing the tune does is correct the MAF transfer function. I'd be interested in confirmation though.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i would install intake and tune it yourself lol
Old 10-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #4
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLz06 View Post
I bought my 2018 SS 1LE as a CPO and it came with the GM Performance Intake. I have read some people have had bad experiences with that intake and seeing power loss. Anyone know why exactly that is? Is it that the wrong tune was done by the dealer? I would have thought that the tune would be a pre-configured file they just flash the ecu with. Has anyone compared that tune to the stock tune? My theory is that maybe GM is pulling timing to counteract any increase of airflow so that there is no net power gain and therefore no potential warranty issues.

I own HP tuners so I could check it and compare to a stock car but I am concerned if interacting with it would be logged and void the warranty.
The issue people seem to have is the dealer not flashing the tune at all. The intake is installed with the original factory tune and either the installer didn’t know or didn’t care/think the tune was needed.

Kind of makes me wonder if the intake is any good as you lose power if not tuned, and gain very little even if tuned, where a Rotofab seems to pick up more power right out of the box, even untuned.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #5
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I dug up my notes on this topic from Camaro Factory Fest (in 2016) where I spoke to the engineer responsible for validating/certifying the CAI intake and GMPP exhaust:

CAI: He mentioned the tune corrects the MAF linearization table and was critical. Going through cert process with agencies is why it's taking long for them to release it. Without tune, you could see some level of power gain initially, but once system is in a learned state you will not see much of a gain. With their latest tune, they are not seeing enough of a gain in power to advertise anything (maybe up to 3hp).

This speaks volumes to how good the stock airbox really is -- it doesn't appear that the optional piece or aftermarket CAI's are really buying much from a performance standpoint.

Keep in mind that the stock SS airbox is really sized for the ZL1 air flow demands.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:40 PM   #6
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
My vehicle was equipped with the GM Performance cold air intake as a factory option, and I can confirm that it provides a meaningful improvement in throttle response. In fact, the improvement in throttle response alone makes this upgrade worthwhile, IMO.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5 View Post
My vehicle was equipped with the GM Performance cold air intake as a factory option, and I can confirm that it provides a meaningful improvement in throttle response. In fact, the improvement in throttle response alone makes this upgrade worthwhile, IMO.
If your car came with it, how do you know it improves throttle response? Have you driven one without it in order to compare?
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #8
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Likely it is the sound that people notice which for some is reason enough to have it.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #9
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLz06 View Post

There were at least a couple of people who's cars were flashed with an incorrect code causing the engine to run very rich (less than 10:1) and they lost a lot of power (up to 80HP!) as a consequence. Here's one...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560050

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I dug up my notes on this topic from Camaro Factory Fest (in 2016) where I spoke to the engineer responsible for validating/certifying the CAI intake and GMPP exhaust:

CAI: He mentioned the tune corrects the MAF linearization table and was critical. Going through cert process with agencies is why it's taking long for them to release it. Without tune, you could see some level of power gain initially, but once system is in a learned state you will not see much of a gain. With their latest tune, they are not seeing enough of a gain in power to advertise anything (maybe up to 3hp).

This speaks volumes to how good the stock airbox really is -- it doesn't appear that the optional piece or aftermarket CAI's are really buying much from a performance standpoint.

Keep in mind that the stock SS airbox is really sized for the ZL1 air flow demands.

This fellow picked up 16 HP with the GM Performance Intake and tune on a 2019...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556150

You can see that the AFR's have been leaned out significantly, so there's definitely something going on there.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #10
LS3JM

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I can’t understand why anyone other than for sound or appearance would buy this.
To my knowledge know one has posted any gains.
LS3JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #11
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3JM View Post
I can’t understand why anyone other than for sound or appearance would buy this.
To my knowledge know one has posted any gains.

Lol! Look at my post right above yours...

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
There were at least a couple of people who's cars were flashed with an incorrect code causing the engine to run very rich (less than 10:1) and they lost a lot of power (up to 80HP!) as a consequence. Here's one...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560050

This fellow picked up 16 HP with the GM Performance Intake and tune on a 2019...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556150

You can see that the AFR's have been leaned out significantly, so there's definitely something going on there.

Nigel
He also dyno'd in 6th gear. Not sure I trust those numbers.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #13
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
If your car came with it, how do you know it improves throttle response? Have you driven one without it in order to compare?
I know it improves throttle response for two reasons: first, I previously owned a 2018 SS without the GM Performance intake, and second, I took delivery of my 2019 SS without the dealership having completed its pre-delivery inspection (PDI) of the vehicle. One of the items not completed during the PDI was the installation of the GM Performance intake. I installed the intake myself and had the dealership install the calibration software, and the improvement in throttle response is quite noticeable.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
cmfhsu

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
DC5 - does the 2019 tune maintain the gorgeous cracks and pops that are in the 2019 SS? That's the one thing I want to make sure before I buy one.
cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote