Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
Nicky Pass

Drives: 2014 BRM, 2SS, RS, 1LE
Headers? High Flow Cats? Tune? Looking for advice....

I've been thinking about doing headers and either high flow cats or off road mid pipes. I was thinking about Kooks Headers with high flow cats and having it tuned....because you should....right?

I am in the Chicago area, so if anyone has any experience with in chicago based shops, that would be appreciated.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what combos work and if you have any sound clips as well.
Nicky Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
I have kooks with high flow cats and love it. Just remember if you tune your car it can void your warranty. It wouldn't be wise to install it without a tune.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Sounds like your on the right track . Long tubes with HF cats ( Kooks are great headers). Add a Bo ported TB ,CAI with race scoop and have it tuned . I'm in AZ so I can't recommend a Chicago tuner ,but some one on here from Chicago area will chime in and give you a recommendation. Warrantee issues will vary from dealer to dealer ,some are kool some are not .
Old 08-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I have TSP 1 7/8 LT's, Catless 3" Xpipe and their 3" Exhaust, everyone compliments how it sounds like an old school muscle car and sounds great (I also have a cam as well). But for the money you cant go wrong as the setup is around $1600 new.

As for Shops in your area, Ive had a friend bring his Vette and Camaro to Nickey and he wont let anyone else touch his cars now.
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz1LE View Post
I have TSP 1 7/8 LT's, Catless 3" Xpipe and their 3" Exhaust, everyone compliments how it sounds like an old school muscle car and sounds great (I also have a cam as well). But for the money you cant go wrong as the setup is around $1600 new.

As for Shops in your area, Ive had a friend bring his Vette and Camaro to Nickey and he wont let anyone else touch his cars now.
+1 Texas Speed seems to be the best bang for the buck. They all seem to be making similar HP numbers for the given diameter, and as long as there's no fitment issues (and I've heard TSPs fit with no issues when diameter is below 2").

Here is a pic of the TSP kit (no muffler) I took at the coating shop before getting them coated for reduced temps:
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
SlowSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
I just installed Kook's 1 7/8ths no cats through my NPP. No fitment issues at all. Great sound, but pretty raspy if you pull the fuse. Have not tuned it yet, but will very soon. Just trying to figure out which shop to go with first.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
If you can afford it go with Kooks, ARH, LG, or Stainless Works .
Old 08-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
I have kooks with high flow cats and love it. Just remember if you tune your car it can void your warranty. It wouldn't be wise to install it without a tune.
LS3s will run just fine with LTs and no tune. No danger of going lean, at least with 17/8 and smaller. But you will get some CELs even if you use rear O2 spacers. Just turn them off, no biggie.

My 1LE ran 12.3s like that. LTs, cats, CAI, Scoop, DRs, no tune.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSS View Post
I just installed Kook's 1 7/8ths no cats through my NPP. No fitment issues at all. Great sound, but pretty raspy if you pull the fuse. Have not tuned it yet, but will very soon. Just trying to figure out which shop to go with first.
I have heard it is really raspy without cats, they really help to bring down that rasp. I love the sound of my LT's + HFs through my NPP.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #10
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Pass View Post
I've been thinking about doing headers and either high flow cats or off road mid pipes. I was thinking about Kooks Headers with high flow cats and having it tuned....because you should....right?

I am in the Chicago area, so if anyone has any experience with in chicago based shops, that would be appreciated.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what combos work and if you have any sound clips as well.
Do yourself a favor and head to Indy, see Bruce Raymond for the parts and Mike Norris for the tune....do it right the first time.

Otherwise, check with Tbone or Bannonm on the forum, they both are local to Chicago area....
Old 08-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #11
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
I'd love to see a posted WOT datalog of someone with headers, CAI, scoop, and NO tune. Curious what is going on after 4800 rpm's.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #12
jergarr

Drives: 11' RJT 2SS/RS L99
I'm about 20 minutes away from Chicago had my long tubes and high flow cats with full tune done by Speed inc in Schaumburg. They've held up so far so I can recommend them. There is also Nickey in St. Charles and Blackdog Speed Shop in Lincolnshire which I've heard good things about both.
Stainless Power Headers w/cats
Fluidampr 25% UDP
Cold Air Inductions Intake
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
ADM Trans Cooler
Some BMR Goodies
jergarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
I just ordered C.A.R.B. approved JBA ceramic coated titanium shorty headers with JBA mid pipes and high flow cats. Apparently no tune is needed and, given the increased flow using these together), they rival HP gains of long tube headers (this per per jba support, who make both long and short headers, POST sale; I called them after having bought the shorties).

See improvements on JBA middies and shorties here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=85
And

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...01&postcount=2

To keep the CEL lamp from illuminating I bought the Vibrant O2 extenders.

Last edited by CrystalRedTintcoat; 08-29-2014 at 10:58 PM.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:34 PM   #14
Teedger

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE w/ NPP
Proposed 1LE upgrades/mods

I am also looking to add some upgrades to my 1LE and below are some of the options I’d like to add.
1. CAI from CAI
2. ARH 2” LTH with HFCs, complete with ARH 3” X-pipe mated to the NPP exhaust
3. NW 102mm TB
4. FAST LSXR 102mm Intake
5. LS9 Cam
6. Professional Tune
Wish List:
1. Whipple 2.9L SC
Here’s a couple questions regarding the items listed above.
1. How much extra HP & TQ can I expect with these mods (with & without the SC)?
2. Is there anything I’m missing if I add these items?Basically, will the car be able to handle all these additions or is there something I’m missing to make the whole assembly work without damaging the vehicle (again with & without the SC)?
3. What would you add or subtract from the items listed above if this was your build?
Thank you in advance for your input!
Teedger is offline   Reply With Quote