Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #1
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
First Post, bought 2011 SS

Hello, I am a new member, my first post. I live in Naples Florida and I am a car enthusiast, do all of my own work and mods in my garage- been working on cars for over 35 years.

I have been an active member on the Miata.net forum since 2010 as I have owned 3 Miatas- my latest a 2016 ND Club. I sold it and picked up a 2011 SS this past weekend.

My two other cars are a 2016 WRX Base, all stock and a 1985 C4 Base, all stock. I have almost fully completed a frame on restore on the C4.

Now on to the SS- I am going through the entire car, have it on jackstands. Changing the rear diff fluid, trans fluid, doing a wheel alignment and thoroughly cleaning the under carriage.There is no rust, it’s an Oregon car where they use no salt but muddy the roads in the winter.So a good undercarriage cleaning is all it needs.The car has brand new tires, drives and shifts great.There no leaks of any kind underneath.It needs some very mild body work to be perfect- front fascia has a few scratches I intend to fill and re-paint and the right rear quarter has a few, will do the same.

My questions-

1. There are some very small door dings in the door unfortunately right where the creases are- on both doors.I am not sure if PDR can get them out.Has anyone else obtained door dings there and were you able to get them out with PDR?Filling them and re-painting the doors would be way too expensive and not an option for me at this time.

2. The car has Flowmaster mufflers on it and sounds amazing.Is this stock from the factory on the SS or after market? Rest of the car is stock.

3. Is there anything else I need to do other than fluid changes, alignment to the car?

Thanks in advance- the forum has already helped me to get the right fluids and amounts to buy for the diff and tranny!
JT58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Welcome! Lots of good resources here. Flowmasters would be aftermarket. Not sure about the door dings. Fluids and filters are a good place to start. You didn't mention if you've got an M6 or auto - the M6 cars can be fairly picky about the condition of the clutch fluid (shared with the brake reservoir) - so perhaps consider flushing that as well if it looks dark at all.

Catch can is a common early mod - you can read all about it here. Some swear by it, some call it snake oil. I know mine collects fluid that I don't want going back into my intake manifold - so I'm in the swear by it crowd.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
JT58

Thanks, I have 6 speed M/T, missed that in my post. Still debating between Royal Purple Synchromax or Mobil 1 ATF for the tranny.

I will look into the catch can also.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
congratulations and welcome

1. Depends on how deep/bad the dents are; 'popping' dents out of creases can be tricky and hit and miss. Best bet is to have it evaluated.

2. Flowmasters were not stock, they are aftermarket ... I put the axle back on mine and it made a world of difference in the sound over stock (IMO).

3. A lot of people will give you a lot of advice on what else you can do to 'improve' your ride. My advice is first and foremost, drive and enjoy it. Next, read through some of the threads here to get ideas of what to do to make it 'your ride'. What you do next really comes down to your financial situation, you goals for performance & looks, as well as your priorities ... performance, handling, interior/exterior looks, etc.

Have fun & enjoy

Last edited by Welker2; 01-10-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Welker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #5
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
Thanks, I have 6 speed M/T, missed that in my post. Still debating between Royal Purple Synchromax or Mobil 1 ATF for the tranny.

I will look into the catch can also.
Redline D4 ATF has been good to me for the manual transmission. Plenty of reviews for you to check out on here.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Welcome.

Those Miatas are cool and can handle like nobody's business.
But when you pull up next to one in a Camaro you realize what a death trap they are.
I had a 2004 Sentra Spec V for a few years. One of the few front wheel drives with an LSD. Had to learn how and when to smack the throttle in that little bugger as it could rip the steering wheel right out of your hands.
Had to install bushing inserts in the rear motor mount to do away with the deadly wheel hop.

Which leads to the Camaro story.
If you aren't going to go major power adders rear subframe bushing inserts will fill the bill and aren't hard to install. Takes all that wishy-washy out of the ass. Front radius rod inserts keep a handle under hard hard braking and cornering. Also an easy install.

For the PDR I would go to the dealer and ask who they use.
If it doesn't work just consider it pre-disastered.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #7
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Redline D4 ATF has been good to me for the manual transmission. Plenty of reviews for you to check out on here.
Redline here too.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #8
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Welcome. We are the pics? People here love pics.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #9
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
Welcome. We are the pics? People here love pics.
+1 on pics!!

Congrats on the ride and welcome!
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
Caseyls3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Ask around your local car forums for a good PDR guy. We have a guy here in columbus, oh that is an artist with PDR. He got a dent in the crease on my door out.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Vert - Jewel Red Tintcoat, 6M, 231/247 Comp Cam, Kooks headers, Borla ATAK, ATI under drive pulley, Richmond 4.10s, LS9 clutch, Hurst shifter, BMR Springs
Caseyls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #11
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
PDR guys can get almost any dent out if the paint isnt damaged. Take it to somebody for an evaluation. And welcome.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #12
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Welcome, since you are local. There is a great Camaro Club around this area. Tri-County Camaro. You can view us on Facebook (tricountycamaro swfl) or swflcamaro.com. I also post the club meets in the FL section of Camaro5. Enjoy your car and hope to see you at our next meet..... Gulf Coast Town Center @ Millers Ale house 11am Saturday 1/14/17.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:15 AM   #13
JT58

Thanks for the welcome and all the replies. I do have a really good PDR guy- I will get him to look at the dents. If they can't be popped out I may just get them done professionally in 6-8 months. The front will need to be re-painted at some point as well.

Yes the Miatas are fun and great in the turns and I agree the death trap when you see how small they really are. And they are not fast in a straight line. I always cringed when I had a Mustang or Camaro pull up next to me- didn't even have to be a GT or an SS. My latest one the ND was pretty quick with the Goodwin Racing axle back. My GF is the one who really inspired me to get the Camaro, plus I always wanted one. She has had two 95 SS's and now owns a 2013 Silverado- she's a Chevy girl all the way. The smile on her face was priceless when we picked up the car.

I'll post pictures soon as soon as it's cleaned up to my standards!
Old 01-11-2017, 07:10 AM   #14
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Welcome to the forum! I run with NASA locally some, and Miata's are plentiful. It's a great way to track more inexpensively than the Camaro, but I just love the sound of that LS!!

When I first bought mine, I swapped out all fluids with RP products, and track it hard. No issues so far, but any that you mentioned would be fine. As you already seem to know well, swapping them out at the correct intervals is more important than using any specific brand.

Good luck!
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote