Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 05-18-2022, 08:57 AM   #1
rcoe

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
just registered for my first track day

Never done it before not sure how the car will handle it.

Course is a 2 mile road coarse with 10 turns of all types and a 1/2 mile straight away.

I signed up for the beginners course that will have us out there separately from the faster drivers.

My car has tons of power and hits pretty hard when the blowers spools up so I am guessing I will need to exercise quite a bit of throttle control.

Brakes only have around 5k on them and there rear suspension has mostly been replaced with BMR stuff, tires are new and seems to hook pretty good and the car does have the mag suspension.

Any tips to help a first timer out with a car that might not be really setup engine wise for this type of racing?

Thanks
American Racing headers - Borla S-type

Last edited by rcoe; 05-18-2022 at 09:56 AM.
rcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:15 AM   #2
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
10 miles long, holy cow. What track is this at?
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:22 AM   #3
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
There are some very skilled road/track racers on here. I am probably not one of them, but here goes anyhow:
First congrats, and welcome to the addiction or rabbit hole. LOL

Only 10 turns in 10 miles? That sounds very different... shucks most tracks I've seen have more turns than that in less than 2 miles.

I assume you are new to tracking? If so, I think best advise I could provide is first, leave any ego at the house that day - go to be safe, learn, and have fun. Next, If you don't have an instructor, I'd recommend getting one, if allowed. You'll learn a lot more, and faster and maybe not the hard way, with one. And finally, given your not an NA car or a 1LE (?), you might want watch those temps. But you should be ok. Relax and have fun, safely. The car, even the standard SS with stock power/suspension is well designed and built, and thus very capable.

if you're doing to do multiple sets, or days, I'd recommend actually measuring pad thickness. You might consider replacing them if they are at about 1/2 original thickness. It's not hard or expensive on the brembo brakes.

Be safe, have fun, and keep it on the black stuff! :-)

Edit PS - Change the brake fluid, no matter what. Even if you think it looks clean. And when doing so, use a DOT 4. As Christian1LE pointed out... If you find yourself doing more of these, you can worry about which DOT 4 later.

Last edited by Eric10905; 05-18-2022 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Add brake fluid note
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:53 AM   #4
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
10 miles seems wrong, do you know what the track is called? I would just say make sure you have good racing fluid for your brakes(most people use Castrol SRF). Check your car over and make sure all your consumables have plenty of life left on them then get out there and have fun.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:04 AM   #5
rcoe

My bad on the typo 2 mile course. Grattan Raceway.

What would be a good pad to use on these 2 piston brembos, decent for track but also good for the street?
Old 05-18-2022, 10:08 AM   #6
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoe View Post

What would be a good pad to use on these 2 piston brembos, decent for track but also good for the street?
Ahh, 2 miles makes more sense. ;-)

I have never heard of a 2 piston brembo on a 6gen SS. Maybe your thinking of 2 pistons, except its on each side - 4 piston?
For your first events, stock brembo pads are more than suitable.
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:33 AM   #7
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:

OH Grattan! Never been but I really wanna go so i can hit the "Jump" that's on that track.

Anyways please change your brake fluid with something like castrol SRF, Brembo HTC64 ( i think thats what its called). You will boil fluid with the 4 pots on stock fluid.

Hawk DTC-60s are usually the go to pad for track duty. Throw factory pads back in after track day. Pad swaps with the brembos takes less than 5 min. per wheel
Old 05-18-2022, 11:11 AM   #8
rcoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
OH Grattan! Never been but I really wanna go so i can hit the "Jump" that's on that track.

Anyways please change your brake fluid with something like castrol SRF, Brembo HTC64 ( i think thats what its called). You will boil fluid with the 4 pots on stock fluid.

Hawk DTC-60s are usually the go to pad for track duty. Throw factory pads back in after track day. Pad swaps with the brembos takes less than 5 min. per wheel
When I had the calipers coated I did flush the system with DOT4.

Will pickup some of the Hawk pads and bed them in.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2022, 11:27 AM   #9
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
When I had the calipers coated I did flush the system with DOT4.

Will pickup some of the Hawk pads and bed them in.

Thanks
What DOT4 fluid?
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:13 PM   #10
rcoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
What DOT4 fluid?
Prestone DOT4
Old 05-18-2022, 12:16 PM   #11
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Upgraded brake pads are generally completely unnecessary for someone's first track day although they might be warranted with OP's additional 350whp compared to a stock Camaro SS. Generally upgraded pads are only helpful on a Camaro SS once someone has more track experience and is consistently doing threshold braking.

I agree on switching to DOT4 brake fluid. StopTech 600 or Motul 600 should be sufficient for a novice. 2x 500ml bottles are needed but there will only be a bit left over so an extra bottle wouldn't be a bad idea. Motive makes a pressure tank to allow for 1 person to do a brake fluid flush otherwise you need a second person to pump the brake pedal.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 05-18-2022 at 12:32 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:28 PM   #12
cdrptrks

Quote:
My car has tons of power and hits pretty hard when the blowers spools up so I am guessing I will need to exercise quite a bit of throttle control.
If you just put it in track mode the traction and stability control will keep the car in line at stock power levels but idk what will happen in your case with the additional power. If you use competitive mode or turn traction and stability control fully off that's when you would need to be very focused on smoothly and gradually squeezing onto the throttle and counter steering quickly if the back starts to come around. I would not recommend turning traction and stability control fully off on track to a novice in a high hp car. Autocross would be the best place to do that for the first time if you want to try it.

Agreed on the comment that you should get an in car instructor if at all possible.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:41 PM   #13
cdrptrks

Quote:
Hawk DTC-60s are usually the go to pad for track duty.
I have heard and read that Hawk DTC dust will harden and become extremely difficult to remove from your wheels (and sometimes paint) if it gets wet from rain and/or morning dew when the car is outside. Considering that I sometimes drive on track while it is raining and usually only wash my wheels maybe once per year (vs. every month or two for the rest of the car), that is a major downside for me.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:04 PM   #14
rcoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
If you just put it in track mode the traction and stability control will keep the car in line at stock power levels but idk what will happen in your case with the additional power. If you use competitive mode or turn traction and stability control fully off that's when you would need to be very focused on smoothly and gradually squeezing onto the throttle and counter steering quickly if the back starts to come around. I would not recommend turning traction and stability control fully off on track to a novice in a high hp car. Autocross would be the best place to do that for the first time if you want to try it.

Agreed on the comment that you should get an in car instructor if at all possible.

Yes I plan to leave traction and stability control on running in track mode. I want to stay out of the grass and facing in the right direction.

They say there are a limited number of instructors available to assist and I am hoping I can get one in the car with me for a couple laps at least.

Might hold off on a set of $300 pads as if I really enjoy it and am going to do more I am going to upgrade to the larger rotors and 6 piston calipers before the next event.