#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 04-17-2019, 09:36 AM   #15
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I'm sorry but this is just dead wrong. I see way too many posts saying this (and they are usually the same posts praising their lord and savior Michelin PS4).

The simple truth is yes the stock tires are not ideal in the rain but they are perfectly safe in 99% of rainy conditions as long as the DRIVER acts appropriately! The only thing that is a real danger with the GYs is hydroplaning due to standing water, and as long as you are slowing down that won't happen unless it's really deep water, in which case you're probably screwed regardless of the tire.

My point: the GYs are fine in the rain as long as you drive like it's raining!
I agree but it all depends on your particular environment. Here in S. Florida, summer rains can be very intense, with dangerous water accumulation in a matter of minutes. I'm currently running PS4S's, which are WAY better in heavy rain/standing water. However, I do like the SC3's better and may go back and just drive extra carefully in the rain.

I would add to your statement, "the GYs are fine in the rain as long as you drive like it's raining less about 25% of normal speed.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Is this the twilight zone? I can't believe some of the threads on this forum!

Just don't drive like an idiot in the rain. The tires wont try to kill you if you don't drive like an idiot.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #17
DeadSpider

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecyclone View Post
What this young man needs to know/learn is: There are "grooves" or tracks where normal driving occurs, or a lane if you will. This groove or lane is "depressed" and water will accumulate in the groove and puddle. Move your pony car over toward the yellow line to get out of this groove and up out of the hydroplane area of the road. Then you can maintain speed until heavy rain causes you to slow to 50-55 mph or stop if warranted.
I found that out recently and it was not a fun lesson at all. An hour drive in heavy rain and all was fine. Got to a section of road with the grooves holding water and HELLO. Had me in pucker mode for the last 15 or so minutes of my ride.
DeadSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #18
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I'd like to point out that the OP is in PA where roads are crap and if it's been raining there will be puddles in the road, and it will suck.
Just putting that out there as I live in PA and what looks like a normal crap road on a nice day can have a river running across it, or a lake hanging around a blind corner in a little rain, and the 285/305 tires will hydroplane like a MF.

Normal roadway the tires are as you would expect, but PA has some crappy old cow paths that have been paved over. Lots of roads have no engineering involved.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #19
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I'd like to point out that the OP is in PA where roads are crap and if it's been raining there will be puddles in the road, and it will suck.
Just putting that out there as I live in PA and what looks like a normal crap road on a nice day can have a river running across it, or a lake hanging around a blind corner in a little rain, and the 285/305 tires will hydroplane like a MF.

Normal roadway the tires are as you would expect, but PA has some crappy old cow paths that have been paved over. Lots of roads have no engineering involved.
Sounds exactly like South Florida. I drove my 1LE on low tread, then near bald and eventually bald SC3s in Florida monsoons for months. It would pour till you couldn't see 10 ft in front of you and flood, puddle, etc. Always in morning or afternoon commuting time, because Florida rain actually tries to maximize how many people it takes out. Put the car in Snow/Ice mode and it was completely fine/never caused problems. I hit plenty of standing water and never lost it. I also drove reasonable speeds and hit the brakes early and gradually. Once I got new SC3s, I was able to up the pace in rain a bit.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #20
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I'm sorry but this is just dead wrong. I see way too many posts saying this (and they are usually the same posts praising their lord and savior Michelin PS4).

The simple truth is yes the stock tires are not ideal in the rain but they are perfectly safe in 99% of rainy conditions as long as the DRIVER acts appropriately! The only thing that is a real danger with the GYs is hydroplaning due to standing water, and as long as you are slowing down that won't happen unless it's really deep water, in which case you're probably screwed regardless of the tire.

My point: the GYs are fine in the rain as long as you drive like it's raining!
Agree! I had driven in absolute deluge on concrete hiway on stockers with 3 track days on them. Zero issues if one slows down and drives according to conditions. I just kept the car in a default mode which kicks in when you start the car.
On brand new tires, such as what OP referred to the car would handle even better.
Also agree: ANY tire will hydroplane if there is enough standing water to overcome tread evacuation capabilities.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #21
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Is this the twilight zone? I can't believe some of the threads on this forum...
everyones first car is a new(er) camaro now, didn’t you know?
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #22
LS3JM

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Wow! can’t believe my thread went this far lol. I will be taking all back roads and not exceeding 40mph if it’s raining. Pa roads do suck as mentioned. Thanks again.
LS3JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:40 AM   #23
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
Bullshit, I’ve been driving cars for decades now, even high performance cars for decades. As we have gotten to super-car handling with super-car tires, something is sacrificed. The stock tires especially, are significantly worse in the rain and wet than what came on similar priced cars 10 yrs ago. You can believe whatever makes you happy. I’m not taking about some light mist or fog, in real rain with puddles these are significantly worse than others I’ve driven and owned. I love the car, but I don’t sugar coat the negatives.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:34 AM   #24
DeadSpider

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
This is my first sports car, or even a car with wide tires for that matter. Coming from years of driving vehicles that I could go posted speed limits with no issues of hydroplaning in heavy downpours with standing water to having to drop to half the posted limit at times was learned on the fly recently.
DeadSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:45 AM   #25
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
yay physics.

edit: drove home from work this morning in a downpour; lived to tell about it.

Last edited by s346k; 04-18-2019 at 01:27 PM.
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #26
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Buddy at work drove his Corvette C5 to work yesterday. Asked me how I keep my rear end from swinging out all over the place, because that was happening to him in the water and slush (snowing, but not really sticking).

I did not drive my car yesterday. That's how.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #27
Tim M

Ridiculous inquiry...they are wide tires...
Old 04-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #28
thrashergrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Is this the twilight zone? I can't believe some of the threads on this forum!

Just don't drive like an idiot in the rain. The tires wont try to kill you if you don't drive like an idiot.
Seriously. What are we deliberating here? Drive smart, within your comfort zone.
thrashergrant is offline   Reply With Quote