Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 08-09-2020, 08:02 PM   #127
davidwarren

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Is the drain plug gasket supposed to be replaced each change?
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:12 PM   #128
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
Is the drain plug gasket supposed to be replaced each change?
No, that should not be necessary. The drain plug seal generally will last for years
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #129
davidwarren

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLG View Post
No, that should not be necessary. The drain plug seal generally will last for years
Thanks. I had tried to find any reference to changing the seal and couldn't. Coming from BMWs, there is a new crush washer with every oil filter. Just ordered a Dimple plug anyway.
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #130
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
Thanks. I had tried to find any reference to changing the seal and couldn't. Coming from BMWs, there is a new crush washer with every oil filter. Just ordered a Dimple plug anyway.
That works and now you will have a spare seal for when you finally do need to change it.
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:26 PM   #131
turbo2ltr

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I really didn't want to buy new ramps (raceramps aren't cheap) so I spent $9 for a 2x8 and some time with a band saw and made these. Worked great after I put rubber mats down to keep the plastic ramp from sliding.

Also I had to put almost 10.5 qts in to get it to the top of the hatch on the dipstick.. This was with prefilling the filter too and waiting several hours after the first 10 qts to check it.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2020, 11:00 PM   #132
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2ltr View Post
I really didn't want to buy new ramps (raceramps aren't cheap) so I spent $9 for a 2x8 and some time with a band saw and made these. Worked great after I put rubber mats down to keep the plastic ramp from sliding.

Also I had to put almost 10.5 qts in to get it to the top of the hatch on the dipstick.. This was with prefilling the filter too and waiting several hours after the first 10 qts to check it.
That seems like a lot of oil... I've always changed mine on QuickJacks (i.e. level) and have never put more than about 9.5 qts in to get to the top of the hash marks... (including the filter pre-fill) Maybe the 1LE is dry sump and takes more oil, just sayin'...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:06 PM   #133
turbo2ltr

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I guess the real question is how accurate are the quart bottles filled. Maybe M1 is underfilling their quarts by .05 quarts! I'll have to check it again.

I have a SS 1LE, its a wet sump as far as I know. but I'm an LT1 noob.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:09 PM   #134
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2ltr View Post
I guess the real question is how accurate are the quart bottles filled. Maybe M1 is underfilling their quarts by .05 quarts! I'll have to check it again.

I have a SS 1LE, its a wet sump as far as I know. but I'm an LT1 noob.
I'm using Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Formula as well...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote