Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #29
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I don't know why you said ironically. Mazda is the only one to make Wankel engines practical on road cars(Toyota and GM tried, but never really went through for one reason or another), but they are a small company and they only can do so much. Rotaries can be troublesome, especially if you don't know what you are doing.

I heard that the NA rotaries in the FB and FC RX-7s are actually decently reliable as long as it's been taken care of, while turbocharged FC/FD are the issues. RX-8 had to compromise a lot for emissions and so it had its share of issues as well.

They are fun cars if you take care of them and can get over the gas mileage(which is worse than a Corvette's). And honestly, even without rotaries, Mazda has a lot of problems to solve. They need to figure out like how to market their products properly...

But heh, at least rotaries won't have valve spring issues!

Sent from toaster or something
First and second gen RX-7's, I did not have major issues with but to your point it is a very hands on experience. You have to check the oil after every spirited drive and everytime you fill up with gas (which is a lot). And you just don't question adding several quarts a week or month depending on driving frequency. Unfortunately most people don't maintain their cars that way and so lots and lots of issues. My FD (twin turbo) RX-7's were also very high maintenance and while I did not have issues I was accustomed to checking and adding oil almost daily.

By comparison the LT1 is a much easier engine to maintain Not that I don't check the oil on my car regularly, but certainly not daily or even weekly. My C7 was very solid, no issues with any major component. Actually no issues at all except for some substandard paint, but paint issues plague just about every manufacturer now due to environmental concerns.
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #30
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I don't know why you said ironically. Mazda is the only one to make Wankel engines practical on road cars(Toyota and GM tried, but never really went through for one reason or another), but they are a small company and they only can do so much. Rotaries can be troublesome, especially if you don't know what you are doing.

I heard that the NA rotaries in the FB and FC RX-7s are actually decently reliable as long as it's been taken care of, while turbocharged FC/FD are the issues. RX-8 had to compromise a lot for emissions and so it had its share of issues as well.

They are fun cars if you take care of them and can get over the gas mileage(which is worse than a Corvette's). And honestly, even without rotaries, Mazda has a lot of problems to solve. They need to figure out like how to market their products properly...

But heh, at least rotaries won't have valve spring issues!

Sent from toaster or something
I don't know. Failing apex seals or broken valve springs? Well, at least you can still drive home with the failed apex seal without damaging the engine, I guess. Problem is, one is going to require an engine rebuild while the other is just replacing a valve spring after you remove the valve cover.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #31
Tank22

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
My new 21

[QUOTE=Val Walkinshaw;10874143]https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/09...gm-v8-engines/

That means my new 21 ZL1 1LE, built on August 8th... that I haven't even picked up yet could have bad valve springs.... AWESOME
Tank22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #32
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
My LS3 had one valve spring replaced under warranty and another broke just over a month ago. When the second one broke I paid for all of them to be replaced as I'd like to keep this car forever.
If you have a broken valve spring replaced under warranty I'd suggest paying to replace the other 15, if you plan to keep the car for a while. I tried to make the case to have them all replaced when the first one broke to no avail. I was actually pretty pissed when the second one broke but the dealership isn't reimbursed for replacing parts that aren't broken so I kind of get it from their side.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:07 PM   #33
Thill444

Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
My LS3 had one valve spring replaced under warranty and another broke just over a month ago. When the second one broke I paid for all of them to be replaced as I'd like to keep this car forever.
If you have a broken valve spring replaced under warranty I'd suggest paying to replace the other 15, if you plan to keep the car for a while. I tried to make the case to have them all replaced when the first one broke to no avail. I was actually pretty pissed when the second one broke but the dealership isn't reimbursed for replacing parts that aren't broken so I kind of get it from their side.
What's confusing is for the C8 they seemed to highlight replacing all the valve springs, but for all the other vehicles affected it is to just replace the broken one (s). Odd..
Old 09-25-2020, 02:13 PM   #34
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
Wow just dodged this one (I think). Car was built on 9/21 or 9/22 this week.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #35
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill444 View Post
What's confusing is for the C8 they seemed to highlight replacing all the valve springs, but for all the other vehicles affected it is to just replace the broken one (s). Odd..
They say to replace all the springs on the 6.2 L87, LT1, LT2 and the LT4
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #36
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangle View Post
This is an example as to why I stepped away from the American car companies for years. I came back, somewhat reluctantly, to purchase my Camaro SS because I drove and loved the car and was hoping that these American companies had gotten their act together after being away for 15+ years. I guess not. You simply don't cut corners on the type of vehicles that have these V8 engines. They're pricier for a reason. It's inexcusable IMO. Of all the foreign autos that I've driven over the past 2 decades, some expensive and some not, ZERO had any major issues at all. In fact, just 2 simple issues over that time that were promptly taken care of via warranty. It's really sad. The Corvette is Chevy's most premium vehicle but reading all of the ticky-tack problems and issues they've had with the new C8 proves my point. I'm so happy that I didn't even try to obtain one. I know some of the issues have to do with the first model year thing but they can't even get the stitching straight on the dash and seats. If you want people to pay for a premium product, you must produce a premium product.
Bullshit. Every car company has had problems. Every. One....
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #37
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
Bullshit. Every car company has had problems. Every. One....
MY opinions are based on MY experiences and I'm entitled to them whether you agree with them or not.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #38
Thill444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomcustom View Post
They say to replace all the springs on the 6.2 L87, LT1, LT2 and the LT4
Yep, I read it wrong. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2020, 03:23 PM   #39
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill444 View Post
Yep, I read it wrong. Thanks!
I do it all the time!! Lol.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #40
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
In 1966 I bought a new ss396 Chevelle. I had to carry a roadside valve spring repair kit because the springs broke frequently. At least they were easily accessed back then.
ALL manufacturers experience parts problems. Hell, some tires even go flat from time to time. Not too often but it happens.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:57 PM   #41
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Reminds me of my 2010 2SS with the LS3 and the broken valve spring I had replaced under warranty in 2012! Come on GM, stop putting inferior parts in the engines now!
I had a 2010 that had some sticker lifters. Until the car warmed up one hell of a knock. Didn't show until 15k miles in. Was out of warranty at that point cause if had it for 6 years.
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:59 PM   #42
puppykat33

Drives: Black 2019 ZL1 M6,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangle View Post
This is an example as to why I stepped away from the American car companies for years. I came back, somewhat reluctantly, to purchase my Camaro SS because I drove and loved the car and was hoping that these American companies had gotten their act together after being away for 15+ years. I guess not. You simply don't cut corners on the type of vehicles that have these V8 engines. They're pricier for a reason. It's inexcusable IMO. Of all the foreign autos that I've driven over the past 2 decades, some expensive and some not, ZERO had any major issues at all. In fact, just 2 simple issues over that time that were promptly taken care of via warranty. It's really sad. The Corvette is Chevy's most premium vehicle but reading all of the ticky-tack problems and issues they've had with the new C8 proves my point. I'm so happy that I didn't even try to obtain one. I know some of the issues have to do with the first model year thing but they can't even get the stitching straight on the dash and seats. If you want people to pay for a premium product, you must produce a premium product.
My previous BMW 6series wan the biggest POS as are most BMWs 100k price and mutiple major mechanical issues in 3yrs of ownership. so no foreign cars are not better....
2019 Black ZL1, M6, CF Hood and Dash, Nav System, ZL1 Addons rock guards and lift points, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, DD Smoked Marker Lights, Ceramic window tint, Gtechniq 9yr ceramic coating. JL Audio stealth box 12W6, Dyanamat trunk, Dead pedal cover, Soler TB/TC, Green Filter, Carbon-fiber Borla S-Type
puppykat33 is offline   Reply With Quote