Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #43
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
That's your opinion. I find the extract opposite to be true. The Camaro has a giant slab of plastic across the whole dash, and it just feels cheap. The auxiliary gauges are also placed too low in the center stack, making them useless for getting any useful information while driving. It's poorly designed.

Im pretty sure they are still the same, I was referring to the guys statement of "if it doesn't rattle it ain't a mustang". I've never heard that in my life. Ive never owned a 5th or 6th gen Camaro, so all my experiences with them have been on test drives, or driving my friend's car. His is a 16 2SS and it rattles like crazy, but I would attribute that to an after market suspension that rides much harsher than a standard car. My current Mustang is my first S550, and ive had no interior issues with it at all.
I've heard such comments from a few Mustang owners, speaking in person. But it is not a common thing to hear.

The interior debate is constantly back and forth, between perspective of design and material quality with Mustang and Camaro (6th gen cars). Some like the looks of Mustang (Retro focused, with modern twist) and some like the Camaro (moder focused, with restro twist). BOTH have a lot of plastic, with the Camaro with more black plastic. As far as material qualities, me, personally, I completely fail to understand how people think the Mustang materials are higher quality than the Camaro. The fit, finish and type of materials (cloth, "leather" and plastic) are simply just better executed and chosen in the Camaro. I'll go specific here:

-Mustang steering wheel has cheap-feeling, very soft pleather; where the Camaro has dense, tough feeling faux leather.
-Panel gaps and piece edges in the Mustang are inconsistent and show evidence of parting lines from molding - some cars I've see minor discoloration of black plastic parts; I've noticed none of this in the Camaro.

Anyway, back to more relevant material: the 2019+ GT350 (not R) is to have specifically formulated, Ford Performance, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires; the car should have better stats than the PP2. The 2019+ has tires dialed-in to the car, better tuned dynamic controls (ABS, TC, etc) and better aero.

Maybe the GT PP2 tested was a more basic package and the GT350 was a more loaded package (weight)?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:58 AM   #44
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I've heard such comments from a few Mustang owners, speaking in person. But it is not a common thing to hear.

The interior debate is constantly back and forth, between perspective of design and material quality with Mustang and Camaro (6th gen cars). Some like the looks of Mustang (Retro focused, with modern twist) and some like the Camaro (moder focused, with restro twist). BOTH have a lot of plastic, with the Camaro with more black plastic. As far as material qualities, me, personally, I completely fail to understand how people think the Mustang materials are higher quality than the Camaro. The fit, finish and type of materials (cloth, "leather" and plastic) are simply just better executed and chosen in the Camaro. I'll go specific here:

-Mustang steering wheel has cheap-feeling, very soft pleather; where the Camaro has dense, tough feeling faux leather.
-Panel gaps and piece edges in the Mustang are inconsistent and show evidence of parting lines from molding - some cars I've see minor discoloration of black plastic parts; I've noticed none of this in the Camaro.

Anyway, back to more relevant material: the 2019+ GT350 (not R) is to have specifically formulated, Ford Performance, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires; the car should have better stats than the PP2. The 2019+ has tires dialed-in to the car, better tuned dynamic controls (ABS, TC, etc) and better aero.

Maybe the GT PP2 tested was a more basic package and the GT350 was a more loaded package (weight)?
Mustang wheel, as well as the Camaro wheel, are real leather, are they not? I know the wheel in my 301A GT is full leather. As far as inconsistent panel gaps in the interior, molding lines, or discoloration, I haven't seen that on any Mustang. I think both interiors are fine, i just think the Mustang is better laid out and slightly better quality. Every major review I have seen, seems to agree.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:08 AM   #45
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
As an owner of both a 2017 Mustang and a 2018 Camaro (well I sold the Mustang) I cannot agree with you. I had to replace the A pillars twice, as they started falling off (!) and the same happened to a couple of friends of mine. The panels are simply attached to the dash with clips, they can be removed by simply pulling them and they rattle. The quality of the interior of the Camaro is definitely of better quality, trust me.
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:02 AM   #46
MakCamaro
Makis

And in general the Camaro feels more of a car. Don't take me wrong, I loved my Mustang, I absolutely love American cars in general and I stay away from anything European (although I live in Europe). I don't know what my next car is going to be: maybe a Corvette, maybe a Mustang, or another Camaro. Or even a Challenger. No matter what I choose American cars as they are fun to drive. But if I were to compare the Mustang and the Camaro, the Camaro is definitely a better car in every aspect. At least this is the feeling I get when I get into the car and I drive it. And I received the same comments from people who have been inside both cars.

I am not trying to provoke anyone. This is my clear feeling.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:15 AM   #47
Deki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakCamaro View Post
And in general the Camaro feels more of a car. Don't take me wrong, I loved my Mustang, I absolutely love American cars in general and I stay away from anything European (although I live in Europe). I don't know what my next car is going to be: maybe a Corvette, maybe a Mustang, or another Camaro. Or even a Challenger. No matter what I choose American cars as they are fun to drive. But if I were to compare the Mustang and the Camaro, the Camaro is definitely a better car in every aspect. At least this is the feeling I get when I get into the car and I drive it. And I received the same comments from people who have been inside both cars.

I am not trying to provoke anyone. This is my clear feeling.
Hey man, you love your car, that shouldn't provoke anyone. The Camaro is a great car, I was very close to buying one when I picked up my GT.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:25 AM   #48
MakCamaro
Makis

The GT was my first choice as well. One of the reasons I didn't buy the GT is because I moved to the UK from another EU country and I was looking to buy an LHD car. You see, I cannot imagine driving an American car with the driving seat being on the right side, loool! The Mustang was 10,000 GBP (yes ten thousand British pounds!) more to import. So I went with the Camaro which is imported only as an LHD. And I was positively surprised by the overall behaviour and quality of the car.

The funny thing is that I now have to attend all those Mustang events, because I was an active member of the Mustang community (I am the administrator of Mustang Europe on Facebook). And my feeling is that I will have a lot of eggs thrown at me

Last edited by MakCamaro; 07-07-2019 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:27 PM   #49
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
That's your opinion. I find the extract opposite to be true. The Camaro has a giant slab of plastic across the whole dash, and it just feels cheap. The auxiliary gauges are also placed too low in the center stack, making them useless for getting any useful information while driving. It's poorly designed.
Are you talking about a 5th gen Camaro? Because all the auxiliary gauges are in the LCD screen in front of your face on the 6th gen.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:41 AM   #50
MakCamaro
Makis

I think he is taking about the 5th gen Camaro indeed. All auxiliary gauges are actually perfectly placed in front of your eyes in the 6th gen.
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #51
Deki

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
Are you talking about a 5th gen Camaro? Because all the auxiliary gauges are in the LCD screen in front of your face on the 6th gen.
Total idiot, I sure was. I forgot the 6th gen has the ac vents down there now.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:02 PM   #52
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Mustang wheel, as well as the Camaro wheel, are real leather, are they not? I know the wheel in my 301A GT is full leather. As far as inconsistent panel gaps in the interior, molding lines, or discoloration, I haven't seen that on any Mustang. I think both interiors are fine, i just think the Mustang is better laid out and slightly better quality. Every major review I have seen, seems to agree.
Nope. Both are fake. Most of the "leather" out there is fake.

The same exact type of steering wheel material that is on the S550's is on things like the Flex, Edge, etc. Material feels thin, plastic and excessively soft.

The exception are the Shelby wheels, which are much, much nicer.

As for design/layout, I think either is nice.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #53
Deki

Quote:

The same exact type of steering wheel material that is on the S550's is on things like the Flex, Edge, etc. Material feels thin, plastic and excessively soft.

I don't know man, they can't advertise it as leather if it's not. That's why on the window sticker it says "leather seating surfaces" because the rest of the seat is not. On my window sticker it says leather wrapped steering wheel and it feels like leather, not cheap at all. It's not the same quality as in my E class, but its not bad by any means
Old 07-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #54
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:

That is not true. The Camaro leather wrapped wheel is real leather.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #55
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
I don't know man, they can't advertise it as leather if it's not. That's why on the window sticker it says "leather seating surfaces" because the rest of the seat is not. On my window sticker it says leather wrapped steering wheel and it feels like leather, not cheap at all. It's not the same quality as in my E class, but its not bad by any means
You are correct. They can't advertise it as leather if it's not.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:58 PM   #56
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
I am sure it is real leather, it's just a matter of how thick the leather is. I mean it is a steering wheel, how thick do you want the leather hide to be???

I just went thru the "leather" process with my new couch. It is all leather, the difference is the quality and thickness of the leather hide.

For something like a steering wheel, they are not going to slap a 1/4 inch thick leather hide on there, that makes no sense.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote