Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-24-2020, 12:49 PM   #1
polina2ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Rerouting the steering wheel controls?

Hey! I have a 2017 2SS and i was thinking about an aftermarket steering wheel. However, I don’t want to lose my controls for switching the view on my dash where i can see my speed/mpg/etc. So i was wondering if there is anyone who has rerouted those and put them on the steering column or something like that.
polina2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
what wheel ? most people just go with oem 1le/zl1 wheel or even those fancy aftermarket carbon ones
Old 09-24-2020, 09:50 PM   #3
polina2ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
what wheel ? most people just go with oem 1le/zl1 wheel or even those fancy aftermarket carbon ones

I’m talking about those that do not have those controls. Kinda like sparco
Old 09-25-2020, 06:07 AM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Just curious what about a racing wheel would make you want to give up the controls and more importantly your airbag.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:41 AM   #5
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just curious what about a racing wheel would make you want to give up the controls and more importantly your airbag.
This. Also go tigers. Sad to see Gardy go
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:41 AM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I guess he wants to void his warranty too!
Old 09-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #7
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by polina2ss View Post
Hey! I have a 2017 2SS and i was thinking about an aftermarket steering wheel. However, I don’t want to lose my controls for switching the view on my dash where i can see my speed/mpg/etc. So i was wondering if there is anyone who has rerouted those and put them on the steering column or something like that.
Changing steering wheels on modern cars is not advisable unless you intend on using the car STRICTLY for racing and racing only. Removing your airbag is very dangerous and can lead to unforseen future issues, not the least of which if you try to sell your car, or if you get into an accident and you injure yourself: there's a very good possibility your insurance company (or the other party's insurance company if the accident is their fault) will give you a hard time covering your medical expenses when they find you've removed the airbag.

If you must have a fancier wheel than what's on the car now just get the factory ZL1 suede wheel and call it a day.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:46 AM   #8
polina2ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Changing steering wheels on modern cars is not advisable unless you intend on using the car STRICTLY for racing and racing only. Removing your airbag is very dangerous and can lead to unforseen future issues, not the least of which if you try to sell your car, or if you get into an accident and you injure yourself: there's a very good possibility your insurance company (or the other party's insurance company if the accident is their fault) will give you a hard time covering your medical expenses when they find you've removed the airbag.

If you must have a fancier wheel than what's on the car now just get the factory ZL1 suede wheel and call it a day.
I do intend to use it for racing.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #9
polina2ss

I’m not looking for recommendations on what steering wheel to get etc. I was wondering whether there are people who have rerouted their controls.

Tags
aftermarket, steering wheel, steering wheel controls