Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-24-2018, 05:41 AM   #1
CamaroGen6

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Should one subscribe their Camaro to OnStar or SiriusXM?

I bought a new '17 Camaro last year. It came with free trials.
My free trial for all inclusive OnStar ended about 4 months ago. I think I'm now on some "basic" plan now that is free for a certain number of years which allows mobile app smart key access. They offer a variety of plans but does anyone recommend subscribing to a paid plan or am I better off staying without it?

I still have about 4 months left on my all inclusive SiriusXM. But with Android Auto & Apple carplay is it worth subscribing?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by CamaroGen6; 07-24-2018 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Typos
CamaroGen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:47 AM   #2
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
OnStar is overpriced for what you get.
Satellite radio is personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:26 AM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Onstar is basically insurance the way I see it. When my daughter goes away to school ill be paying for it. I like that it actually knows if the airbags deploy and get help to your loction. They also can unlock your car if needed. I've used that myself in the past. As far as XM, it comes down to if you want to pay for music. I subscribe in the cars we use all the time. In the cars that are only weekend toys we dont. I like it more than messing with a phone for myself.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:55 AM   #4
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I canceled my XM and removed the OnStar transceiver circuit board.

XM isn't bad but with all my own music I like to listen to whatever song I want to hear at that moment.

As far as OnStar goes, they can shove that Orwellian spying service where the sun don't shine. Even when you aren't subscribed the receiver is still hot and they still have their eye on you.

Truck that.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:30 AM   #5
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I canceled my XM and removed the OnStar transceiver circuit board.

XM isn't bad but with all my own music I like to listen to whatever song I want to hear at that moment.

As far as OnStar goes, they can shove that Orwellian spying service where the sun don't shine. Even when you aren't subscribed the receiver is still hot and they still have their eye on you.

Truck that.
Well, your smart phone does that too. If you have a smart TV same thung. Your smart phone tracks you more than anyother device you'll ever encounter.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:38 AM   #6
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Well, your smart phone does that too. If you have a smart TV same thung. Your smart phone tracks you more than anyother device you'll ever encounter.
Yeah but a phone is concealed. Also OnStar is going to start sending advertisements to your display screen based on where you park to shop, get gas, or go out to eat.

You get my point.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:51 AM   #7
motorhead

Quote:
Yeah but a phone is concealed. Also OnStar is going to start sending advertisements to your display screen based on where you park to shop, get gas, or go out to eat.

You get my point.
So does your phone. There is no getting away from people watching you these days. Although I dont agree with sending advertising from a paid subscription. That's a safety issue alone outside of all the other reasons that sucks if you ask me. Trying to get someone to read a screen while driving.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
Quote:

You get my point.
Tin foil hat club member .

Might as well throw your phone out the window while your at it

Your phone wont call the police if your airbags deploy and youre stuck in a ravine .

Although I agree onstar is over priced , I like XM because I dont have to **** with pandora ads ( for free service ) and I still get my Xm for free ( dont ask )
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #9
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
So does your phone. There is no getting away from people watching you these days. Although I dont agree with sending advertising from a paid subscription. That's a safety issue alone outside of all the other reasons that sucks if you ask me. Trying to get someone to read a screen while driving.
Ok I guess you don't get it.

Big difference between a car and a phone. If I have to explain there's no helping you.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #10
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenfive View Post
Tin foil hat club member .

Might as well throw your phone out the window while your at it

Your phone wont call the police if your airbags deploy and youre stuck in a ravine .

Although I agree onstar is over priced , I like XM because I dont have to **** with pandora ads ( for free service ) and I still get my Xm for free ( dont ask )
Oh jeeze, if I wreck my Camaro in a ravine in the middle of a deserted road at 2 in the morning, what will I ever do without OnStar?

You watch too many OnStar commercials.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #11
VJChevelle67
The Beast

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro Convertible
Smile It's peace of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGen6 View Post
I bought a new '17 Camaro last year. It came with free trials.
My free trial for all inclusive OnStar ended about 4 months ago. I think I'm now on some "basic" plan now that is free for a certain number of years which allows mobile app smart key access. They offer a variety of plans but does anyone recommend subscribing to a paid plan or am I better off staying without it?

I still have about 4 months left on my all inclusive SiriusXM. But with Android Auto & Apple carplay is it worth subscribing?

What are your thoughts?
My wife and I have it its only money and I think it's a great service never had it till we got the SS comes in handy. Do some reading get as much info as you can to make an informed decision. As for tunes I bring my own very little cost to make a thumb drive wth all the tunes one might need . In the end it's each owners choice enjoy your Camaros people. We do never has this much fun with the top down.

Last edited by VJChevelle67; 07-24-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Forgot to and a few words
VJChevelle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #12
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
OnStar: I am down to whatever the "basic plan" is through 2021. I won't pay to continue it after that. Am not quite to the "rip the circuit board out" level of concern, although the idea appeals to me.

SiriusXM: I am finished with the free trial period. I then paid $30 for another 6 months, then cancelled, deciding it was not worth $5 a month. If they come back with something LESS than $5/month I might be interested. If anyone has tips on how to get under 5/mo., feel free to PM me.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #13
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
I don't subscribe to OnStar because I have a cell phone.

I don't subscribe to Satellite Radio because I have decent ears. The sound quality of XM/Sirius is absolute garbage. I think I built better sounding radios with a transceiver kit when I was a child...
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #14
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
I like Sirius for the news (Fox, CNN, CNBC) + HowardStern. OnStar seems quite useless to me. Unless I received a substantial discount, I wouldn't renew either. I am currently on trial for both.
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onstar, radio, siriusxm