Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
Did he say when they would have it available ? That would be awesome .
He never said it was going to happen but that it was a possibility and so sing they would look into. I wish I remembered the guys name I was talking to but can't. I can remember his face and that people around him were saying he designed the hot wheels car.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
KalCorp
Space Coast Camaros

Drives: 2012 Camaro Vert
I am hoping by the time I want to upgrade the twin turbo V6 would be out :-)
KalCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #17
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalCorp View Post
Indeed!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #18
ben3350

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalCorp View Post
there is a twin turbo thats out for the LFX engine. I believe its from IPS. I would have gotten it but they didn't make one for the LLT.

So if GM ever comes out with that LFX thing, I'll be able to upgrade to an LFX engine and twin turbo it at the same time. That would be fantastic.
ben3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #19
ben3350

how much do you think it would cost for professional installation to put a new engine in the camaro if I just got another LLT one? In case the LFX thing never happens.
ben3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #20
ben3350

Old thread but wanted to know if anyone knows any updates about this.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #21
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
My guess would be about $2,500.00 for labor only....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #22
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I've never heard of anyone talk about creating LFX "packages" for the LLT....although I have to say if my engine went boom and I was looking to replace it, I'd want to replace it with an LFX if that were possible.

Replacing it with a used LLT leaves the door open for more possible future failures in my opinion, depending on how often the oil was changed on it, and how it was driven, seeing as how doing lots of short trips on the LLT can cause the chains to go back prematurely.

Ben..I have to ask...have you replaced the timing chains in your car?

Also, if you are thinking about FI, your best option by far right now would be the IPF supercharger. Its much easier to install and remove, and then reinstall again if need be b/c its basically just a big bolt on modification (more complicated than a regular bolt on of course lol....but still easily reversible)
Old 01-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #23
c_cook94

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 1LT
I think $2500 is a little high on labor maybe ~800-1000
c_cook94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #24
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Why not just fix whatever is wrong with the LLT? Complete and catastrophic engine failure seems unlikely. Probably come down to a set of injectors, some new plugs, and a timing chain every 100k or so. Might new a new water pump or oil pump eventually, but there haven't been to many failures like that so... those will probably be few and far between. The $5000 you'd spend on an new engine that would likely still have problems doesn't seem like it would be cheaper than normal repair and maintence. Like.. You have the ideal commute for this kind of thing, nice and long. Once she's warmed up, you're getting approximately zero wear...
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #25
ben3350

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevey_frac View Post
Why not just fix whatever is wrong with the LLT? Complete and catastrophic engine failure seems unlikely. Probably come down to a set of injectors, some new plugs, and a timing chain every 100k or so. Might new a new water pump or oil pump eventually, but there haven't been to many failures like that so... those will probably be few and far between. The $5000 you'd spend on an new engine that would likely still have problems doesn't seem like it would be cheaper than normal repair and maintence. Like.. You have the ideal commute for this kind of thing, nice and long. Once she's warmed up, you're getting approximately zero wear...
Because fixing what's wrong with the LLT is getting expensive and my problems are not going away. I just spent 3k on repairs and maintenance last week. And still having a misfire problem that may require repairing or replacing a cylinder head. If getting another motor costs around 3k, it starting to make some sense to just get a slightly used or new motor with tons less miles that will run into less problems. Instead of constantly dealing with problems on my current motor that is breaking the bank.

I am currently going to be trying to see if I can buy a new motor, but still on the edge about it. However if there was a way to retrofit an LFX motor and I could buy one at a reasonable price I would be way more willing to jump on it.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #26
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben3350 View Post
Because fixing what's wrong with the LLT is getting expensive and my problems are not going away. I just spent 3k on repairs and maintenance last week. And still having a misfire problem that may require repairing or replacing a cylinder head. If getting another motor costs around 3k, it starting to make some sense to just get a slightly used or new motor with tons less miles that will run into less problems. Instead of constantly dealing with problems on my current motor that is breaking the bank.

I am currently going to be trying to see if I can buy a new motor, but still on the edge about it. However if there was a way to retrofit an LFX motor and I could buy one at a reasonable price I would be way more willing to jump on it.

Ahh, see that makes sense. From your post, it sounded like you were just going to premptively swap motors before you ran into any issues at all, which I would not recommend.
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #27
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben3350 View Post

Can you go into what issues you have had and what the mileage was?
I have 127k+ miles on mine but have had no issues as of yet, but you guys worry me as I am about to do a 2400 mile road trip.
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #28
ben3350

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaBR View Post
Can you go into what issues you have had and what the mileage was?
I have 127k+ miles on mine but have had no issues as of yet, but you guys worry me as I am about to do a 2400 mile road trip.
I've had a cylinder misfire issue since about 100k. It comes and goes, but sometimes when I would step on the throttle, I would hear a popping sound and the check engine light would flash. After that, the engine would rattle and shake the whole car while driving. And in idle it would shake as well. After around 10 min, the problem would go away. Or turning the car off and on again would solve it as well. But the problem would come back whenever the issue was triggered.

Sometimes, the misfire issue would happen from simple driving. It would just happen out of the blue. Other times, it would only happen if I'm accelerating quickly. Don't know whether temperature affected timing or anything else like that.

I am still dealing with the problem. I've taken it to 3 different places who have not been able to solve the problem. Problem is, in order for them to fix it, they need to see the problem. It's been my luck of course that it has been difficult to recreate the problem when the dealer was present. Sometimes the car will be fine for days, other times I will get the misfire 20 times a day if driven a lot.

Another problem with this is that they may think they have fixed it, and it may appear fixed, but may come back a few days later. This has happened many times, and I don't have the time to have the car in the dealer for days upon days all the time since they haven't had any progress.

I've spent thousands already on spark plugs, coils, throttle bodies, injection cleaning, etc to no avail. Luckily, those are things that need to be replaced eventually so they weren't completely wasted money. But it's still a problem that I have been dealing with. It's very frustrating to say the least.

I guess there hasn't been any more news on the LFX conversion, has there?