Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 04-30-2024, 09:07 PM   #1
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Mag ride benefit on the track - is it an active suspension?

So I've heard a lot of questions about MRC benefit in the general (and whether it's worth it), but the conversations always seem to only account for the usual soft vs stiff in everyday driving. And I know that GunMetal was recently relaying some of his experience with track performance before and after switching away from MRC, but his comments didn't address (at least to my level of curiosity) weight transfer and related balance.

I'm left wondering about whether MRC actually provides an "active suspension" effect roughly similar to what was outlawed in early 90s F1 as a result of Williams dominating every race by >1 second per lap. Supposedly MRC would have much of this capability because it can alter the compression rate at each corner independently 1000 times a second, which theoretically would enable the car to rebalance the weight distribution and stabilize the Camaro going into and out of corners.

I know that dive under breaking and lean into corner while on track are both minimal with MRC in my Camaro SS1LE, which suggests MRC does provide at least some of the attributes of "active suspension." Might MRC also be helping maximizing the contact patch at other points? And if so, how can this be matched or bettered by moving to spooled shocks (ZLE) or coil-overs, as some Carmaro track rats are doing?

Just trying to learn here so would appreciate thoughts from other track guys that understand suspensions better than I do.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:39 PM   #2
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
The factory mag ride control scheme is based on wheel position, which is a reactive system. DSC Sport replaces the factory controller and uses multiple CAN-BUS inputs and g-force to become "active." The SS 1LE and ZL1 suspensions have much lower spring rates than the ZL1 1LE. The factory ZL1 or SS 1LE mag shocks are most likely under-dampened with high spring rates.

DSC makes a full replacement system, but it is over $7000.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:23 PM   #3
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
The factory mag ride control scheme is based on wheel position, which is a reactive system. DSC Sport replaces the factory controller and uses multiple CAN-BUS inputs and g-force to become "active." The SS 1LE and ZL1 suspensions have much lower spring rates than the ZL1 1LE. The factory ZL1 or SS 1LE mag shocks are most likely under-dampened with high spring rates.

DSC makes a full replacement system, but it is over $7000.

Agreed, but the bolded part is backwards, magride is undersprung in sport and track modes, it needs to have soft spring rates in order for tour mode to work. The dampers are pretty amazing but ultimately the spring rates need to be higher. I ended up at 4.5x OEM rates up front and 2.5x out back. It's a big difference.

DSC is really interesting but you need to have the time and money to take advantage of it's abilities. I ultimately decided I did not and instead of buying the DSC coilovers I bought MCS RR2 and my DSC controller is currently for sale if anyone is interested, just shoot me a PM. It's enough for me to have basic compression and rebound adjustment.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:18 AM   #4
Slurpee

Drives: 2020 ZL1 A10; Shadow Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Agreed, but the bolded part is backwards, magride is undersprung in sport and track modes, it needs to have soft spring rates in order for tour mode to work. The dampers are pretty amazing but ultimately the spring rates need to be higher. I ended up at 4.5x OEM rates up front and 2.5x out back. It's a big difference.

DSC is really interesting but you need to have the time and money to take advantage of it's abilities. I ultimately decided I did not and instead of buying the DSC coilovers I bought MCS RR2 and my DSC controller is currently for sale if anyone is interested, just shoot me a PM. It's enough for me to have basic compression and rebound adjustment.
How do you like MCS RR2? This is the upgrade I am looking to make for next season vs the controller. In the meantime upgrading coils seems like an idea.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:18 AM   #5
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
How do you like MCS RR2? This is the upgrade I am looking to make for next season vs the controller. In the meantime upgrading coils seems like an idea.
So far so good! It feels good on the street... as long as the road is smooth. You definitely notice road imperfections a lot more, but it's not horrible. I'm in CO and had shoulder surgery 7 weeks ago, so the driving season will be starting for me this weekend with an AX test n tune on Saturday and a race on Sunday. I hope I can get the sus settings "roughed in" on Saturday. It'll be a few more weeks before I get in a track day, that'll be at High Plains.

I was going to change springs but couldn't find ones with much higher spring rates and custom shops all wanted to make a minimum order of 50 springs, but then you'd need the DSC to electronically revalve the shocks for the springs.

I was going to put BMR springs on but never found the time, if you want them let me know, will sell for half price+ shipping. The only thing you need to do is an alignment and zero out the ride height after install.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:18 AM   #6
Slurpee

Drives: 2020 ZL1 A10; Shadow Gray Metallic
Quote:
So far so good! It feels good on the street... as long as the road is smooth. You definitely notice road imperfections a lot more, but it's not horrible. I'm in CO and had shoulder surgery 7 weeks ago, so the driving season will be starting for me this weekend with an AX test n tune on Saturday and a race on Sunday. I hope I can get the sus settings "roughed in" on Saturday. It'll be a few more weeks before I get in a track day, that'll be at High Plains.

I was going to change springs but couldn't find ones with much higher spring rates and custom shops all wanted to make a minimum order of 50 springs, but then you'd need the DSC to electronically revalve the shocks for the springs.

I was going to put BMR springs on but never found the time, if you want them let me know, will sell for half price+ shipping. The only thing you need to do is an alignment and zero out the ride height after install.
Car is basically track only at this point so don't care about how it rides on the street anymore haha. What did you use to delete mag ride?

Are those the lowering springs?
Old 05-02-2024, 12:25 PM   #7
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
Car is basically track only at this point so don't care about how it rides on the street anymore haha. What did you use to delete mag ride?

Are those the lowering springs?
For magride delete, get a ZL1 1LE suspension module. It's possible any non-magride sus module will work too, idk. Apparently the resistor kits are unreliable and cost a ton for what they are.

I have the BMR lowering springs, yes... never got around to installing them before I decided to buy the MCS kit.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:10 PM   #8
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Quote:

I used poor grammar when I wrote that. It should have said "mag ride shocks probably don't have enough dampening for high spring rates."
Old 05-04-2024, 01:05 AM   #9
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I had a BMW with "active suspension". It was kind of a band-aid for generally soft anti-sway bars and springs, not really making the suspension aggressive, but somewhat tolerable. The magride in the SS 1LE is far better IME. It's more like what expect a performance car to have from the get-go. For the BMW, I did a flash to increase the damping rates, lowered it and put in stiffer sways. Much better and how it should have been stock, but again, not as good as the magride. For a "dumb" active system, it's pretty good. You notice other cars diving and rising.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote