Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #29
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
"I may not be a gm tech, but have been master certified with Mitsubishi and BMW, and currently am Master certified with Mercedes. I also am 1 of 2 lead technicians at my shop in charge of 5 other techs and have been professionally working on vehicles in a dealership enviroment for over 17 years. *I like helping when I can, but it seems these forums always just bash people who are truley trying to help. *I guess I'll keep my unqualified responses to myself."

Awwww... lighten up Francis...

Dont take it to heart. I for one welcome the knowledge brought here from whatever source, personal or professional, GM, Toyota, Lexus, MBenz, or whatever. Please continue to add your two cents when you feel it is necessary or helpful. I'm grateful for it. That's my two cents.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #30
mercedestech

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM,2013 Mercedes ML350
After rereading the post, decided to remove it.....
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Whipple 2.9L, Rotofab CAI and coil covers, XS Power LT's and full 3" exhaust, Vengeance kaotic cam package (trunion kit,dual springs,titanium retainers,hardened pushrods,c5r chain,ls2 tensioner, melling oil pump) Mgw shifter, 160 deg Tstat, prosport gauges, LPE dual pump, FIC 60lb injectors, level 5 DSS Axles

1994 Z28 MSD optispark, K&N CAI, Magnaflow y pipe..Cat..and cat back. 1998 wheels, custom tune(sold )
1993 Base V6 sold to buy Z28
1994 Purple Pearl V6...sold
1979 Base Car with inline 250ci 6 cyl! My first car in 1989!
mercedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #31
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

Drives: 1969 SS 396, 1969 SS , 2010 RS
hopefully you are not mad at me for whatever reason. i didnt mean any harm in any of my posts.
Camarofan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #32
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
Anyhoo.... back to the regularly scheduled programing....

I understand that in the plant, they determined that when they have to replace a headliner that has had quality issues (gets damaged or something) that getting the new one in through the door opening is damn near impossible without creasing it. So the solution they came up with? Remove the windshield. Works great when you have the technology at your disposal.

Want to talk about overkill? My Dad was considering the new 2011 Ford diesel pickup for his next truck (you know, the new super fuel efficient one with the all new Ford designed engine). So he got a copy of the dealers information binder from a friend. When reading through that he came across this little phrase "On the all new 2011 model, service of the turbochargers will no longer require removal of the vehicle passenger cabin." Yes, you read that correctly....

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #33
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireresq157 View Post
Sounds like they are clueless or BSing you. I seriously doubt GM engineered in having to remove the windshield on the car . My guess is they damaged it and told you that to cover it up.
Yeah, with my VW you have to remove the front of the car to get to the timing belt. REMOVE THE FRONT OF THE CAR!!!! sometimes car design is about compromise.....the owners.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #34
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Drives: My girlfriend crazy with car talk
They said "condenser coil", or atleast the last guy my dad talked to.

Good to know this isn't BS pulling the windshield. But now the wait begins on getting one, and getting it in
Old 06-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #35
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech View Post
Actually... I just checked service information, If the EVAPORATOR required replacement the windshield DOES need to be removed. The heater box needs to be removed & opened to replace the evaporator, in order to remove the heater box, the Instrument Panel Tie Bar needs to be removed...

Removal Procedure for Tie Bar ...
•Remove the instrument panel trim pad assembly. Refer to Instrument Panel Trim Pad Replacement.
•Remove the steering column assembly. Refer to Steering Column Replacement.
•Remove the windshield. Refer to Windshield Replacement.

Not looking forward to one of those
boooo--- LOL-- this information ruined my joke
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #36
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech View Post
Actually... I just checked service information, If the EVAPORATOR required replacement the windshield DOES need to be removed. The heater box needs to be removed & opened to replace the evaporator, in order to remove the heater box, the Instrument Panel Tie Bar needs to be removed...

Removal Procedure for Tie Bar ...
•Remove the instrument panel trim pad assembly. Refer to Instrument Panel Trim Pad Replacement.
•Remove the steering column assembly. Refer to Steering Column Replacement.
•Remove the windshield. Refer to Windshield Replacement.

Not looking forward to one of those
Wow looks like an extended warranty might be in the works for me. That looks like a 3000+ JOB between labor and parts and new windshield. I had a leak in my evaporator on my 97 years ago as it was that was costly for that car.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote